The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Favourite Neighbourhoods

Is Oulton Broad a better place to live? Will Kirkley end up as an island if the sea levels rise? If you're new to the Lowestoft area this is a good place to ask questions. Rate and discuss local neighbourhoods here.
Gary
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Male

Favourite Neighbourhoods

Post by Gary » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:16 pm

My favourite neighbourhoods are Oulton Broad, Somerleyton, Lound, Corton and Pakefield.
In Oulton Broad I especially love the area around Nicholas Everitt Park. It's just a shame that the whole area is blighted by traffic jams at the level crossing!
My favourite part of Corton is "The Street" area and it has a natural village sort of feel to it. A real shame that part of Corton is about to drop into the sea because of fierce coastal erosion.

In Pakefield I really love the area around Pakefield Street and the Jolly Sailors. You can sit and look out to sea in peaceful surroundings.
Somerleyton and Lound are both peaceful places that have a certain charm and beauty all of their own.
What are your favourite places and why?
The black dog of Bungay.

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Favourite Neighbourhoods

Post by MEG » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:10 pm

I love Oklahoma but my favorite State is Tennessee,especially Sevierville(where Dolly Parton grew up),Gatlingburg and Pigeon Forge.The area now is more of a Branson ,Missouri type with Musical stars and shows.Years ago it was so nice to visit with the winding road up into the mountains with lots of artists works displayed at every log cabin home.Now there are five or six big shopping malls and Dollywood but it is still a pretty area to visit .I also love visiting the Outer Banks of North Carolina,love to be near the sea,

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Favourite Neighbourhoods

Post by frankiesays » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:06 pm

Oulton Broad is also one of my favourite areas which seems to get much less mentions on LOL and ML. I worked on it and by it for many years but even loved it as a child. I used to love walking the footpath down the alley opposite what used to be Haydens, under the really low railway bridge which was the end of the swing bridge and then along the edge of Lake Lothing and across the bridge over the railway and on to Normanston Park and The Ham. It is a pity that some of it has become private. It was a more interesting walk when there were ships to see at Brookes and Richards but there are more yachts to see nowadays.

The walks over the marshes are nice too and as kids we used to walk right over as far as the old mill or pumping station on the Beccles side of Burgh St Peter and on the Suffolk side. I can't remember what the mill is called now, Painter's mill was the one on the Waveney on the Somerleyton side of Oulton Dyke - anyone remember?
It's grim up North...