The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer & Internet Related Problems and Tips

Discussion about all things technological.
kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Computer & Internet Related Problems and Tips

Post by kerch » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:09 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

My printer has given up the ghost after 10 years ,moved it and found a inkie puddle underneath and the inside was covered in ink too.

I'm thinking of replacing it with a Canon mg 3650,the old one was also a canon px 160. Has anyone bought the mg 3650 ? if so how did they find it?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:25 pm

If the previous one gave you ten years of service kerch then I doubt you need any recommendation for another Canon. You should go for it!
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Probably will,I can buy one from Darty they will deliver free and take away the old one.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:42 am

I was asking because after 10 years things have move on ,me and technology do n't mix well,the old printer ,printed photos etc was a scanner and a photo copier very simple to use idiot proof in fact but reading the tech info for a newer model sounds much more complicated.Will have to jump in the deep end and hope for the best.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:52 am

I also know what you mean when you say that the "new" tech stuff is confusing and in my opinion 'over the top for use' the printer I have at the moment is a Kodak all in one which IS simple to use either on Wi-Fi or USB or if you want via itself.
My old work used HP which I found to be one of the most troublesome systems they used and the inks lasted a short time. Then another company used Lexmark which were OK though big and bulky IMO
So I think you may have to sit and think about what you would like then delete those which are outside the requirements. lol
I personally think that the companies make stuff with a short life time so that you (the customer) purchase another and so keep them in business.
I don't think Kodak make printers anymore though I'm sure another company have the same machine under a different name.
I hope you find a printer that you can be happy with for a long time.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:57 am

I'm glad I'm not alone in being confused by "new"tech stuff,my compact camera has wi-fi so I assume that I can print direct bypassing the computer if I want to.Not that I would prefer to go via computer.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:35 pm

You can print wirelessly 'if' your printer is either connected to your router instead of to your computer, or if y our printer has wifi also builtin. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's still needing your PC switched on.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:13 pm

The printer I'm thinking of getting has built in wi-fi.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:00 pm

The new printer I bought recently to replace my Kodak one (HP Envy 5640) has 'Wifi Direct' which means you can connect wirelessly to the printer without a router. With Wi-Fi Direct, you can print wirelessly from a computer, smart phone, tablet, or other wireless-capable
device without connecting to an existing wireless network.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:09 pm

You just need to be aware of security risks with this; I have one also with Wifi-Direct. The problem is, these printers set up a wireless network in addition to any network you might have with your router. However, often these networks are not as secure as those set up by routers, and they are able to be easily hacked if using their default settings. I 'think' you can secure them with good passwords by going into the software setup when fist connecting by cable to a computer.

It is the same issue with the IoT, Internet of Things. You can get wireless smart heating systems, wireless smart fridges, even a wireless smart kettle! Some of these are unable to be programmed with secure passwords. This has been demonstrated recently with driverless cars, which were hacked.

I demonstrated this in a small way with my family when I made the printer print out an A4 sheet of paper with the word BOO! in large letters when they were sat next to it and I was across the room on a laptop. Was funny, until they found out what I did. Then I suffered....

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:25 pm

I am fully aware of the security risks and it is set up accordingly.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Is anyone having problems logging in to some sites? I registered for Online Services at my Medical Centre. To ease the typing in (because of some long numbers!) I typed them in on the WP - and carefully checked them three times - then did 'Cut & PAste'! But, the first problem was the number I had to put in - 12 digits - but it would only take nine. Then it didn't recognise my NI number - which I knew was correct, So went back to Reception - they didn't know how to solve it other than calling the helpine. Earlier this evening I tried again and this time it was accepted. I placed an order with a company I haven't used before - opened a new account - fine; I clicked to order the item - but it didn't appear in the "basket"! Tried both browsers with the same results. I emailed the company to see if they could offer any advice - they wanted me to phone in but, as it wasn’t a Freephone number, I didn’t bother.
Have just tried to login to my +net email - but to no avail - it failed eight times despite everything being typed correctly!
My speed is 25Mbps - via ethernet = 38Mbs.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Have you tried switching it off and on again?!
:)

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:06 pm

That all sounds rather strange, Trigger. I keep all my passwords in an encrypted program which I have to log into first and then it auto-fills and logs onto the websites for me as necessary. Maybe you should start by clearing out your computer's cache/cookies, etc., which can sometimes cause strange things to happen, and see if that resolves the problem

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 am

Thanks for replies - much appreciated. I did do the basics - on the principle of "if at first you don't succeed - switch off and start again!" - plus I had to have a few coffee breaks anyway. Will investigate 'keeping passwords in encrypted program' - passwords can be a bit of a bugbear - in my world anyway! Thanks again.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:09 am

I use Dashlane to store my passwords and it seems to work fine.

You just need to remember your master password.
I before E except after C - That's weird