The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Computer Chat

Discussion about all things technological.
Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Computer Chat

Post by Mel » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

boatbuilder wrote: When I closed down my laptop last night it went into the configuration mode and took at least 20 minutes to complete and shut down.
I had better fire my laptop up then Boatbuilder and get it updated, I haven't used it for awhile and I have got Windows10 on there :roll:
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Mel, it probably took about 80 to 90 minutes to complete this morning. It would seem that it is called the 'Anniversary Update' with lots of changes. This is part of the 'Get Started' screen which it recommends you start with after the update.
W10 Anniversary.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:27 am

I thought Microsoft were ending their support for W7 once W10 was established, my laptop and home PC both on W7 ran a big update yesterday, the laptop ran its update just as I was preparing to do an online software demonstration over the internet to a customer which caused a few anxious moments.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:35 am

Some details here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... fact-sheet

Screenshot from link:
Support.JPG

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:41 am

I don't like the way that 'small print' is worded for Windows 10. It seems to be saying that support is only given if latest updates installed, but then goes onto say that sometimes some devices will not be able to install the latest updates. This would mean that if you had a certain device, Microsoft would refuse to continue support.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:44 am

boatbuilder wrote:Some details here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... fact-sheet

Screenshot from link:
Support.JPG
Looks like there will be support for W7 of some kind for a bit longer then. It may well be that some new stuff will come along which has not been included to run on W7 but I think I'll remain on it for a while yet. I downloaded the w10 files before the deadline but don't know if that means i'll get it for free or not when I finally decode to go over to it.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Apple raises computer prices in UK

Apple has increased the prices of its laptop and desktop computers in the UK by hundreds of pounds.
On Thursday, the company unveiled new Macbook Pro laptops, with prices similar to the US after currency conversion and addition of UK VAT.
But the company also increased the prices of its older computer products, including the three-year-old Mac Pro, by hundreds of pounds.
One analyst said consumers should expect further price increases.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37799235

Obviously thanks to those who voted for Brexit.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:11 pm

boatbuilder wrote: Obviously thanks to those who voted for Brexit.
Thanks for the thanks Boatbuilder, glad to see someone else would rather pay a few bob more than be a member of such a corrupt club as the EU :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:38 pm

My use of the word 'thanks' wasn't used as a form of gratitude but more of a mordacious comment, Mel.
The price of Apple computers doesn't bother me personally, but I hope those that it does bother are ones who voted for Brexit. :)

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:14 pm

boatbuilder wrote:My use of the word 'thanks' wasn't used as a form of gratitude but more of a mordacious comment, Mel.
I did realise that Boatbuilder, as we hear a lot of that talk from the remoaners ;) :)

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:20 am

We are not bemoaners Mel we are realists who prefer a safe friendly Europe and funnily enough we are half of this badly divided insular country
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:37 am

funkychick wrote:We are not bemoaners Mel we are realists who prefer a safe friendly Europe and funnily enough we are half of this badly divided insular country
I cannot remember Europe being particularly unsafe prior to 1973, but maybe that is because my memory is not that good.

There were exceptions of course at times in the past but not as a general situation.
I before E except after C - That's weird

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:17 pm

boatbuilder wrote:My use of the word 'thanks' wasn't used as a form of gratitude but more of a mordacious comment, Mel.
The price of Apple computers doesn't bother me personally, but I hope those that it does bother are ones who voted for Brexit. :)
The obvious thing to do then is not buy Apple until the financial "bookies" bring the pound back down again. If Apple aren't selling anything they might get the idea. When all our non-EU imports currently subject to "EU "tariffs" are no longer subject to those "tariffs" you can thank the Brexiteers for that too. ;-)
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:50 pm

I would hope the financial 'bookies', as you call them, will take the pound back up not bring it down even further. It's already far enough 'down' against the world currencies. I'd hate to think it being close to the February 1985 lows of almost parity with the US$.

As far as the EU import tariffs are concerned, I don't think there are currently any import duties on computers, laptops or mobile phones from countries outside the EU.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:27 am

boatbuilder wrote:I would hope the financial 'bookies', as you call them, will take the pound back up not bring it down even further. It's already far enough 'down' against the world currencies. I'd hate to think it being close to the February 1985 lows of almost parity with the US$.

As far as the EU import tariffs are concerned, I don't think there are currently any import duties on computers, laptops or mobile phones from countries outside the EU.
Whoops! I shouldn't be posting that late ;-)
It's grim up North...

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:48 am

boatbuilder wrote:As far as the EU import tariffs are concerned, I don't think there are currently any import duties on computers, laptops or mobile phones from countries outside the EU.
I can confirm they do. I ordered a laptop around 10 years ago from the Far East - trying to buy direct from manufacturer in order to save money. I was rather unhappy to be charged over £40 in import duty!