The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Cycling

Here you can discuss and exchange ideas on any hobbies and interests you have with other members.
AyB
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Male

Cycling

Post by AyB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Over the last year I have got more and more into cycling. I have always had a passion for it but previously had not done it for several years. I have now bought another bike from Dunx Cycles in Lowestoft. This is a "winter bike" with mudguards fitted. I am now able to venture out when the roads are wet without getting a black streak up my back!
Are there any other cyclists here? :bike:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Cycling

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:14 pm

I used to cycle a lot years ago in my younger days, AyB (1960's and 70's) and would think nothing of doing 60 to 80 miles a day. One year I went out virtually every day during my summer holiday and did that sort of mileage each day in Liverpool and Lancashire where I lived. In 1966 I cycled to Lichfield from Liverpool (80-90 miles) for a week's holiday at my sisters. The picture below is of me setting off for my journey home in the pouring rain and the bike was no lightweight as they are today. During the summer I would occasionally do 30 miles in the evening cycling to see my now wife who lived some 15 miles away. I also cycled to work which, for a few years, was a round trip of about 16 miles a day until I moved to a different part of the country and lived just a couple of miles away from work. All in the days before I had a car or moped. Had some great times on the bike.

I am sure there are plenty of others on here who can relate a lot to those experiences.
Leaving Lichfield 1966.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:35 pm

:) I cycled a lot until recently,I fell off and lost my nerve,sold my bike. Once I was without a car for several weeks and it was an easy ride from my house to work along the canal tow path.

AyB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AyB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:45 pm

I am hoping to build the distances up this year. The longest recent trip last year was 35 miles. Maybe I can get to that magic 100 mile ride this year!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:59 pm

You could do with some decent hills around here to make it more interesting, AyB. I used to enjoy the trials of the hills up north. I think the steepest one I have cycled up was a 1 in 7 (14% gadient) - Parbold Hill near the village where my wife lived. Just found this link online. I used to live between the two places marked on the lower left half of the map between 'Litherland' & 'Bootle' and used to cycle all around the area shown on the map, mainly to the north. The map was taken from the link which I moved slightly to show the two places.

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/South ... -4149.html
Map.JPG

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

AyB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AyB » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:36 pm

HaHa.......that's all too much for me these days. I used to race mountain bikes years ago. Road only now and the smoother the better. :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 pm

Don't let age get the better of you, AyB. :D

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:05 pm

AyB wrote:Are there any other cyclists here? :bike:
My wife and I are cyclists AyB, not lycra wearers or off road enthusiasts but just for everyday travel. As we do not have a car cycling is the easiest way for us to get about town; although we do venture further afield to Southwold, Halesworth, Bungay and all points in-between when the mood is right and there is a following wind ;) :) . Recently due to a bad back I haven't been cycling and I really do miss it...if you have ever sat on a noisy, rattly First Bus you will know what I mean :)

Glad to hear you are using your bike more now, we are quite lucky here, there are some good cycle paths and with being able to use the seafront for cycling is great.
My Flickr pictures look here

AyB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AyB » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Cycled to Southwold this morning. Took the Country route staying away from main roads. 35 miles there and back.

It became very windy by the end of the ride. Got home a lot faster than going with the wind behind me. :lol:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:56 pm

AyB wrote:Cycled to Southwold this morning. Took the Country route staying away from main roads. 35 miles there and back.
That's the way we go AyB, Carlton Colville, Rushmere, Henstead then cross the A12 on to the coast road at Wrentham. Glad you didn't have one of those winds that seems to be in your face whichever way you cycle, which often seems to happen :)
My Flickr pictures look here

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:11 pm

When I was in full cycle training I would do a ride before work which took me down the A12 then turning off taking the road to Beccles and then back to Oulton Broad Elm tree road. I think it was around 30 miles.
After work I would then train again riding through Beccles,Bungay and to Harleston where I would turn for home. I think this run was around 40 miles,of course this intense training would last only about a month then we would be into the Time Trial season which riding the events was much better than the hours of riding the country roads,however as I rode most events especially the Hundred mile events I needed the miles in my legs which gave me the stamina. Happy times sadly curtailed by the wearing out of my hips.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:31 pm

AyB you got me thinking about my cycling days so thought I would delve into the old photo album and this is what I found.

During the Seventies a photo of the Lowestoft Wheelers at the prize presentation dinner and yes if I remember correctly the shield was mine for being Best All Rounder that year.

The second was me in full flight during a Time Trial

edit by boatbuilder: SB, I have converted your top image from .tif to .jpg as it doesn't show up in some browsers.
Attachments
Scan05.jpg
Scan05.jpg (94.48 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
img071 copy.jpg
img071 copy.jpg (25.48 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:58 pm

SB, you were still on the ground the photographer must have released the shutter a bit early before you took off. :lol:

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:30 pm

boatbuilder wrote:SB, you were still on the ground the photographer must have released the shutter a bit early before you took off. :lol:
Thanks for the conversion BB. No iphones in those days :lol:

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:20 pm

The only person I knew in the wheelers around that time was John Thomson, I was in the same year as him at school.
It's grim up North...