February 2018 - Chat Topic

General chit-chat about nothing in particular.
funkychick
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: female

Re: February 2018 - Chat Topic

Postby funkychick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 13:24

So when a police officer takes a woman off the streets for prostitution he is taking away her right to earn a living after all it’s her choice usually
It’s not about taking jobs away if these girls are as bright and clever and on the ball as they suggest, they wont be out of a job long, unlike real workers doing a real job all their working lives but have their company or workplace taken from under their feet These aren’t careers they are ‘none’ jobs made up to brighten and titerlate some blokes These outmoded traditions need removing or by all means keep the jobs if they are proven necessary but use people of a variety of ages and genders in smart dress
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Postby boatbuilder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 22:34

It doesn't affect me, but just heard on BBC East that there are NO TRAINS on the Norwich to Lowestoft and Norwich to Great Yarmouth lines until next Sunday (18th) because of engineering works. How crazy is that? Half Term? :roll:
Flickr-pics

A - S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

"You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget"

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Trigger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 08:34

Took my mid-morning walk at Everitt’s Park yesterday, mainly around the Big Pond (near the Museum) and along the path at edge of the Broads. This was to try using camera settings other than automatic – I like to live dangerously! Lots of kids around (half-term?) – some arriving carrying what appeared to be whole packs of sliced bread – that’s when I step back. One father said to me “Those *** white birds are pest – the kids just want to feed the ducks!” Continued on and passing-by to men with very long-lensed cameras around their necks – and so I asked “Are they what are called compact cameras?” :roll: On my return one man was still there – and he said he was trying to get a photo of the Red-necked Diver that was on t’other side of the water – and a Great Crested Grebe. I left him trying to work out how to get closer to them – without the vegetation getting in the way!
“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” A.A.Milne, 'Winnie-the-Pooh'

Karen

Postby Karen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 17:12

Happy Pancake Day!

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Trigger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 05:40

Karen wrote:Happy Pancake Day!

Do you celebrate Pancake Day? I had mine - although I must confess, for the very first time, to having bought them - 'Buttermilk Pancakes'! Quite delish too! cook2
“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” A.A.Milne, 'Winnie-the-Pooh'

muzzy

Postby muzzy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:20

Obviously the origin of Shrove Tuesday - or Pancake day - was to use up all the excess food in the pantry before Lent started on the Wednesday. This would be mainly flour, eggs and milk, the key ingredients of pancakes. Nowadays many people simply buy a premade mix, which I did for the past 2 years. Small problems with this though. Last year I put too much oil in the pan, and ended up with very greasy pancakes - and one pancake was rather burned after the oil caught fire! This year, oil was just right, and they still didn't stick to the pan - instead they stuck to the spatula!! Tried not to become too annoyed when one pancake ended up looking like hash brown all in bits.

Considered giving up biscuits etc for Lent. It's the thought that counts! Anyone else giving something up till Easter on April 1st?

Karen

Postby Karen » Fri Feb 16, 2018 16:54

Trigger wrote:
Karen wrote:Happy Pancake Day!

Do you celebrate Pancake Day? I had mine - although I must confess, for the very first time, to having bought them - 'Buttermilk Pancakes'! Quite delish too! cook2

Well, they really don't celebrate Pancake Day here, although being English, I'll keep up the tradition :D . People of all sorts of backgrounds have their things they do though. On Pancake Day, I'll have my English pancakes with lemon and sugar. Any other time I'll have American style pancakes with syrup or blueberry pancakes......yum, but I still love my English pancakes best!

muzzy

Postby muzzy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 20:58

It was Chinese New Year today, and I took the opportunity to celebrate the custom with chinese food; stereotypical rice and chicken. I fell victim to the sales pitch from Iceland and bought far too much food. Even worse, what was supposed to last 2 days ended up being 'seconds' as it was too tasty to delay for a further 24 hours. Consequently, now feeling like a round big bouncy ball. Had 2 different types of rice, and 3 different types of chicken. Was thinking about duck, but didn't see any on special offer. It's the Year of the Dog... but didn't see any of them on special offer either...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 17:37

Chinese New Year! How is your knowledge of 'Traditional Chinese'? :D
Traditional Chinese.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flickr-pics

"You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget"

funkychick
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby funkychick » Sun Feb 18, 2018 07:14

Kung hei fat Choi
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 20:34

funkychick wrote:Kung hei fat Choi

It's rather strange that the online translators don't translate that - in fact Google Translate states it is Vietnamese and translates it as the same in English :huh:
Vietnamese.JPG

中國農曆新年快樂 :D

Happy-Chinese-New-Year.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flickr-pics

muzzy

Postby muzzy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 22:28

According to a friend - who although has Hong Kong heritage and looks, was actually born and lives in Ireland - today was the 3rd day of the New Year and therefore is the day when you are most likely to get into an argument due to depression! She decided to use this as an excuse to stay in her onesie all day and eat junk food in front of the TV whilst having a few drinks.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 23:02

Maybe that is one way of celebrating the CNY then, muzzy. drinker1
Then again, isn't alcohol (? a few drinks) something that can bring on depression - at least if you're on your own. :think:
Flickr-pics

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Trigger » Mon Feb 19, 2018 07:33

During my rummaging through the online press, I came across this interesting consumer article. The incident happened in Leiston.

“Why was I fined £100 for parking in a ‘free’ Co-op car park?”
https://www.theguardian.com/money/series/bachelor-and-brignall-consumer-champions

Return to “The Lounge”