The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Suffolk Police Appeals/Alerts/News

General discussions about nothing in particular
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Police Appeals/Alerts

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:04 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Suffolk Constabulary
Alert from email 16th September 2016 - 10-13am

160916 Computer Tech Support Scam
**This message is being sent on behalf of Suffolk Trading Standards**

We received details this week of a resident in Suffolk who lost £3000 after being duped by bogus tech support callers.

Working from home on her work laptop, the victim allowed the scammer remote access which provided the scammer with access to her personal financial details.

This incident has not only highlighted the scam, but has also shown that the scam has wider implications. The victim's workplace now has to investigate as to whether the scammer was able to access any of the company's information.

How the Scam Works

The caller will tell you that your computer has been sending error messages or that it has a virus. They may mention problems with your internet connection or your phone line and say this has affected your computer's recent performance. They may claim that your broadband connection has been hacked.

The caller will request remote access to your computer to ‘find out what the problem is’.

The scammer may try to talk you into buying unnecessary software or a service to ‘fix’ the computer, or they may ask you for your personal details and your bank or credit card details. You shouldn't be asked to pay for viruses to be cleared from your computer, or to fix any issues over the phone.

More scammers are calling people trying to gain remote access to their computer to steal personal information. A common tool scammers use to log into your computer is 'TeamViewer'.

It is important to never check your account balance while a third party has remote access to your computer as it is possible they can see what is being displayed on your screen.

If you are called, don’t give them any details and hang up.

Report the call

To help tackle these calls report any such incidents to Action Fraud. If you can, supply the name of the company (or at least, who they claimed to be), plus – if possible – the phone number they called you from.

Action Fraud - Tel: 0300 123 2040

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud

If you’ve been a victim

If you’re worried that you’ve granted access to your PC or given your bank details to an unsolicited caller, it’s important to take some key steps. Contact Action Fraud and seek a crime reference number to help you pursue any lost funds from your bank. Alert your bank to what has happened, and to be extra safe, run an up-to-date security scan
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:14 pm

I m amazed that someone who is in the workplace still doesn't know about these scams which have been doing the rounds as long as I ve been on a computer I think, I can understand an elderly person not used to scams but a person of working age must be living in a bubble or else incredible naive
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Have you ever heard of a 'Nottingham Knocker'?

This Suffolk Trading Standards link above came through in a Suffolk Police Alert today.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Suffolk Constabulary
Alert from email 5th October 2016 - 1-31 pm

The A12 is closed following a serious collision near the Dunwich junction.

Police were called around 8.20am this morning, Wednesday 5 October, to reports of a collision between a police motorcycle and a Nissan X-Trail car. The motorcyclist, an officer from the Suffolk and Norfolk roads policing unit, was travelling northbound on the A12 on routine patrol, when a collision with the Nissan took place.

The police officer has sustained serious injuries and he has been airlifted to the Norfolk and Norwich hospital.

The road is likely to be closed for some time whilst an investigation into the circumstances takes place.

Any witnesses are asked to call 101 quoting reference CAD 61 of today.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:09 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
Suffolk Constabulary
Alert from email 5th October 2016 - 1-31 pm

The A12 is closed following a serious collision near the Dunwich junction.

Police were called around 8.20am this morning, Wednesday 5 October, to reports of a collision between a police motorcycle and a Nissan X-Trail car. The motorcyclist, an officer from the Suffolk and Norfolk roads policing unit, was travelling northbound on the A12 on routine patrol, when a collision with the Nissan took place.

The police officer has sustained serious injuries and he has been airlifted to the Norfolk and Norwich hospital.

The road is likely to be closed for some time whilst an investigation into the circumstances takes place.

Any witnesses are asked to call 101 quoting reference CAD 61 of today.
Held the police officers head and shoulders until the air ambulance arrived, I was using the same junction that the car driver was using (I was directly behind that car) The officer though badly injured was able to communicate after a few minutes though was adamant he wanted to get up (sorry but that's just not happening was my reply)
I must say the attending service personnel were fantastic
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 pm

So you were also a key witness to the accident then, nikkai.

Well done for your assistance to the Police Officer.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Serious Accident - A12 Wangford

The police have advised that there has been a serious two-vehicle accident as stated above and the road is closed in both directions. This occurred at about 10-30am this morning. Image of email attached.
0PC1.JPG

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:19 pm

I know I was stuck in the traffic jam and police in only way they know how made jam a lot worse

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:36 pm

funkychick wrote:I m amazed that someone who is in the workplace still doesn't know about these scams which have been doing the rounds as long as I ve been on a computer I think, I can understand an elderly person not used to scams but a person of working age must be living in a bubble or else incredible naive
sad when don't know

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Suffolk Constabulary
Appeal from email 18th April 2017 - 10-40 am

Suffolk Police are appealing for help from residents in Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire to trace a woman who officers would like to speak to in connection with a fraud where £12,500 was stolen from a bank account.

A woman went to one branch of a bank to request a new debit card and then went to another to request a new PIN. Both were sent to the account holder’s home address, without her knowledge, but appear to have been intercepted.

The new bank card and PIN were then used at branches of the bank in Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket on the same day in October 2016 with thousands of pounds being withdrawn on each occasion.

While the account holder, from Bury St Edmunds, has been compensated by her bank, Suffolk Police are keen to speak to the woman pictured in connection with the fraud.

She is described as white, of slim build, possibly in her 50s to 60s, with below shoulder length brown hair. Images of the woman are attached to this email.

Anyone who may recognise her is asked to contact Bury St Edmunds CID by dialling Suffolk Police on 01473 613500, quoting crime number 69501/16.
CCTV69501-16a.JPG
CCTV69501-16a.JPG (33.78 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
CCTV69501-16b.JPG
CCTV69501-16b.JPG (16.51 KiB) Viewed 2711 times
CCTV69501-16c.JPG
CCTV69501-16c.JPG (15.05 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:18 am

Suffolk Constabulary
Appeal from email 16th June 2017 9-14am

Police are appealing for witnesses following a single vehicle collision in Lowestoft.

Officers were called shortly after 4:40pm on Wednesday 14 June to reports of a collision involving a motorcycle on the southbound A47, after the B1385/Millennium Way roundabout.

The rider, a man in his 20s on a Suzuki motorcycle, is believed to have sustained spinal injuries and was taken to James Paget Hospital in a serious condition.

The road was blocked as emergency services dealt with the scene but reopened at approximately 8:15pm.

Anyone who may have witnesses the collision or has information to assist the enquiry should contact Suffolk Police on 101, quoting CAD 308 of 14 June.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 am

Suffolk Constabulary
Appeal from email received 8th September 2017 at 9-49am

Following a road traffic collision in Lowestoft, officers are appealing for witnesses

On Saturday 2 September, at around 8.40pm a cyclist was knocked off her bike by a red car at the junction of Pier Terrace and Belvedere Road. The car failed to stop following the collision and is thought to have driven across Bascule Bridge. The cyclist sustained minor injuries.

Anybody who witnessed the collision or who has information are asked to call 101 and speak to PC Robinson 1932 at Lowestoft Police Station.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Suffolk Constabulary
140917 Warning over telephone scam in Suffolk - from an email & text received 14th September @ 13:27

Police are warning members of the public to be vigilant after a woman in Suffolk was targeted by telephone scammers.

On Friday 8 September, a woman from Ipswich, received a telephone call from a man, saying he was a police officer and that he was investigating a fraud and required assistance. The offender then instructed the woman to withdraw £4,600 from her bank account which was then collected by a man later that day.

The victim was then told by the offender to purchase a watch worth £25,500 as he said he was investigating an insurance scam. Fortunately, the transaction was declined in the shop. The woman attended her bank to get the transaction authorised and it was at this point that police were alerted.

Residents should remember the following:

• Your bank or the police will never ask you to withdraw money or purchase items

• Your bank or the police will never ask for your PIN, bank card or bank account details over the phone – never give these details out

• If you receive such a call leave the landline for at least five minutes to make an outside call. Fraudsters will keep the line open and have been known to play ring tones, hold music and a recorded message down the phone so the victim believes they are making a call to a legitimate number

• Use a friend or neighbour’s telephone instead

• Friends, family, carers and neighbours are asked to spread the word to ensure everyone is aware of this scam and what they should do

For advice on keeping yourself safe against scams, please visit: https://www.suffolk.police.uk/advice/crime-prevention-z

Alternatively, report incidents of fraud to Action Fraud using their online reporting tool http://www.actionfraud.police.uk or by calling 0300 1232040.

You can also sign up to the Trading Standards weekly email alert on rogues and scams targeting Suffolk at http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/JoinTheFight

https://www.suffolk.police.uk/news/latest-news/14-09-2017/warning-over-telephone-scam-Suffolk
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

It never ceases to amaze me how gullible some people can be despite all the warnings.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:04 pm

Suffolk Constabulary
37-65722-17 Robbery in Kessingland - from email received today at 15:15

Police are appealing for witnesses to a robbery that took place in Kessingland.

Officers received a report at just after 12:15am on Sunday 8 October from a woman aged in her 60s who said she had been the victim of a robbery. The victim was walking along London Road in Kessingland back to her home address just after midnight when someone grabbed and stole her handbag containing her purse and mobile phone.

During the incident she stumbled and fell into the road and hit her head. A short while after the incident she was found in the road by a motorist who stopped to help her. There is a description of a person who was wearing a dark hooded top running away from the scene towards Kessingland.

The victim was taken to the James Paget hospital for treatment to a serious head injury and is where she remains in a stable condition.

Anyone who witnessed the incident, saw any suspicious activity, or has knowledge of the incident should contact DC Rachel Adams at Lowestoft CID on 101 quoting crime number 37/65722/17, or use the ‘report something’ link at http://www.suffolk.police.uk.

Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Suffolk Constabulary
101017 CCTV appeal following ABH incident – Lowestoft - from email received today at 16:16

Police are appealing for help to identify a woman in connection with an incidet of actual bodily harm.
It happened on 1 September at some point between 11.30am and 12midday.
A lady, aged in her late 80s was queuing in Marks and Spencer store on London Road in Lowestoft.
She was caught by a suspect who was driving a mobility scooter causing the victim to fall to the floor and she also sustained a nasty cut to the leg in the process.
The driver of the scooter showed no remorse and also failed to apologise.
Officers would like to speak to the woman depicted in the CCTV still in connection with the incident.

Anyone who recognises the woman should contact PC Kevin Brooks at Lowestoft police on 101 or use the online link:

http://www.suffolk.police.uk/contact-us/report-something

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:37 pm

Suffolk Constabulary
CCTV images of man sought in relation to burglaries - Lowestoft & Snape. (From email received at 15:16 today)

Police are releasing CCTV images of a man they would like to speak to in connection with an aggravated burglary in Lowestoft.

Officers were called to a property on The Avenue at approximately 10:40am yesterday, Thursday 12 October, following reports of a burglary in progress where a window had been smashed and which had activated the house alarm.

A member of public reported seeing a man carrying a knife exit the property, who shouted threats as he ran towards a parked car, a grey Volvo.

The suspect drove the vehicle towards Blackheath Woods where it became stuck along a bridleway and he decamped.

Detectives are linking this incident to a second burglary in Snape earlier this week, where a car was stolen.

The break in occurred at a home address in Gromford Lane at some point between 6:30pm on Tuesday 10 and 2:30pm on Wednesday 11 October. Access to the property was gained via a window and keys to the grey Volvo were taken.

The suspect left another vehicle, a red Vauxhall Corsa which is also believed to be stolen, in the driveway of the premises.

Anyone with information about who the man is or about either of the incidents should call Suffolk Police on 101, quoting crime number 66624/17. Alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org
robbery+-+66624-17.jpg
robbery+-+66624-17.jpg (84.98 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
2+-+robbery+-+66624-17.jpg
2+-+robbery+-+66624-17.jpg (36.28 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
3+-+robbery+-+66624-17.jpg
3+-+robbery+-+66624-17.jpg (27.81 KiB) Viewed 4737 times