The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Useful Gadgets

General discussions about nothing in particular
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Useful Gadgets

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:11 pm

I thought it would be of interest to start this topic after I recently bought the following item which I think is a very good idea and cost me less than £10 including delivery.

It might not look much but I will explain its functions and benefits below. I bought it as my wind-up LED torch, which I have had for many years and has been very useful in that time, now seems to be losing the will to hold the limited charge for very long without recharging.

Night Knight

Yes, that's what it's called. :D

Firstly it is a rechargeable LED torch which has 6 very bright LED’s and gives an excellent light.

After being in the charger for 24 hours, where it remains all the time when not in use, the torch will give about 9 hours of light. The torch also has a flash mode if needed. When removing the torch from the charger it automatically switches on, which of course can be switched off if not wanted immediately, and when placed back in the charger it switches off - if it was on at the time.
At the bottom of the charging unit is a night-light which has three settings which are operated by a switch underneath inside the centre of the light. These are as follows:

• 1. Automatic - In this mode when the light in the room reaches a certain low level, it gives a dim light, as shown in the second picture below, which is adequate to give some light in a dark area such as a landing.

2. Always on - The same light is always on irrespective of the ambient lighting conditions and gives a brighter light than the automatic light.

3. Off - None of the above happen.

In the event of a power cut, or the socket is switched off, the light in the charger goes out, if it’s on, and the torch, providing it is in the charger, automatically switches on which is very handy at night so that you have got some immediate bright light. When the power returns it goes back to the previous state. If you don’t want the torch to stay lit during the power cut then it can just be switched off and left in the charger.

Finally, there are no wires, connections or slots to have to pair-up when putting the torch in the charger as it works in the same way as a rechargeable toothbrush. Also there are no batteries and bulbs to replace.

A very useful gadget which I am pleased I bought.

Have you bought any useful gadgets recently? If so then why not share details of them here.
Attachments
Night Knight.JPG
Night Knight_2.JPG
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Useful Gadgets

Post by frankiesays » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Looks to be a very useful gadget BB. I'm in need of a new torch since my re-chargeable lantern decided not to charge any more.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:43 pm

More details here frankie, although it is NOT motion-sensitive as stated in the title but more like 'light-sensitive'.

"Night Knight"

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:54 pm

With my advancing years I seem to be making the odd more frequent visit to the toilet in the early hours which involves walking past the top of the stairs in the dark. I could see that one day in my tired stupor I was going to end up buggering down the stairs so now have a similar plug-in light on the landing which is just enough to guide the way without having to put the big light on. this torch looks like it would be good for keeping in the kitchen for general use.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 pm

We used to have a night light plugged in on the landing which is useful but since having my wife's stair lift, the single socket outlet is in full-time use so can't have one there at the moment and a two-way adaptor is not suitable owing to the size of the transformer used to power the stairlift charging unit which is left on 27/7. I have bought a twin-socket outlet which can replace a single socket on the single box which is sunk into the wall but haven't got round to changing it yet. Just the inconvenience of having to have the mains power off to all the sockets in the house and then having to go around resetting everything again afterwards. :D

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:36 pm

I had to buy one of those ‘Nursery Lights” (QD - £2.50) a couple of years ago. I had to go through to the Bathroom in the wee small hours - though not for the same reason as you, Frankie! I woke up thinking that I hadn’t closed the bathroom window. Think I was only half-awake - and my foot slipped on the edge of the top step - I sat down heavily on my sit-upon - and my right foot collided with the end of banister post. Went back to bed without checking the window! By mid-morning I had difficulty in walking. Saw the Nurse early pm - who said my little toe was broken! So that light was a very Good Buy - and think it’s only 2 watts!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:00 pm

because i wear contacts when I take them out at night it doesnt really matter whether I have alight on or not I seem to have a bit of a bats (not an old bat take care folks) radar and no my way around pretty well
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:36 pm

boatbuilder wrote:We used to have a night light plugged in on the landing which is useful but since having my wife's stair lift, the single socket outlet is in full-time use so can't have one there at the moment and a two-way adaptor is not suitable owing to the size of the transformer used to power the stairlift charging unit which is left on 27/7. I have bought a twin-socket outlet which can replace a single socket on the single box which is sunk into the wall but haven't got round to changing it yet. Just the inconvenience of having to have the mains power off to all the sockets in the house and then having to go around resetting everything again afterwards. :D
You appear to have 12.5% more hours in your day BB, no wonder you look so old! ;-) And don't forget to get that work signed off by a qualified electrician when you're done. :)
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:09 pm

A typo, frankie, although I sometimes wish there were more than 24 in a day. :lol: And you don't know how old I look so less of that. I don't think just changing a socket outlet requires that either - just three wires.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Nevertheless I bet "officially" it needs to be reconnected or checked afterwards by an electrician so he can issue a very official certificate.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Don't you mean charge a hefty sum of money? If I was to put a certain smiley up in response to that frankie then I would have to ban myself. :lol:

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:28 pm

Nice little earner for them.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Just found this which I will quote:

"You can still do electrical work yourself.

What you do need is to get a registered electrician to verify that what you've done is safe apart from some "minor" jobs like changing sockets or moving them a short distance.

What you might find is that a lot of electricians won't verify your work, so you end up having to get them to do the job."

Where I found that gives a link to this:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm

Gary
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Just bought an electric potato peeler because I really loathe the chore of peeling spuds! It works quite well for medium and small sized potatoes but not for large ones.
It peels around 1kg of tatties at a time which is great for preparing mash or roast potatoes. I love this gadget! :D
The black dog of Bungay.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Can you post a picture Gary, sounds useful.
It's grim up North...