The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Nuisance Telephone Calls

General discussions about nothing in particular
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Nuisance Telephone Calls

Post by Trigger » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Just had one of these calls – at 09:03 - asked for me by name (male caller - sounded Middle Eastern). I asked “Who's calling?” He continued talking - I asked again “Who's calling?” Reply: “You don't know me – but I know you. This is the British Criminal Investigations (or something like that). It's a serious matter – are you scared?”
Me: “Am I scared? Of you? You must be joking! Your phone number shows on Caller Display and I will be reporting this call to the Police and to OFCOM.”

The number: 01538049201 has now been added to my “Blocked Callers” list! The caller's location: Ipstones, Staffordshire.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue May 23, 2017 11:01 am

See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 am

boatbuilder wrote:Some responses on 'whocallsme'
http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/01538049201
Thanks BB for the link – had that one on previous PC – but couldn't remember the name – so used this one instead: http://who-called.co.uk/ - same difference!
I was more concerned by the caller's “veiled threat” - “are you scared” which I haven't encountered before! Although I guessed it was a nuisance call, I took it in case it was a “This is Microsoft . . . your computer has a virus” one - so that I could “play along!”. :lol:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue May 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Just looking at that phone number I couldn't help but wonder about it. I am most probably wrong but I don't think I have ever seen a geographical number where the line number after the area code (01538) begins with a zero. Having just called the number with my own number withheld, a recording advised that it is not recognised, so obviously a 'fake' displayed number - again.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Think you've "hit the nail on the head" there, BB! And they probably have 'loadsa' fake numbers to use! Rechecked their number on my phone - and that's correct - I'm quite good at getting the numbers wrong! Is there such a thing as 'numerically dyslexic?' - if so, I've got it! :roll:

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Wed May 24, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm now up to call number 62 made by people trying to bully me into claiming compensation for "discomfort" I may or may not have experience in a 5MPH prang over a year ago.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed May 24, 2017 8:03 pm

frankiesays wrote:I'm now up to call number 62 made by people trying to bully me into claiming compensation for "discomfort" .....
Why not tell them you'll be making a claim against THEM for the discomfort they are giving your earhole? :lol:

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Wed May 24, 2017 10:13 pm

I haven't been counting but I ve probably had as many accidents Frankie
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Dpeanut
Male/Female: Female

Post by Dpeanut » Thu May 25, 2017 6:59 am

I have a guardian phone that blocks all unwanted calls and you can even add your own numbers. At first your friends and family members ring you and guardian asks you if you always want this number allowed through or blocked . You can unblock when ever you want. You can also see who tried to ring but was blocked . All nonsense callers will not get through and don't . As for mobile I just add to my blocked lists and luckily don't get them. Also if anyone rings with no name I don't answer as I obviously don't know them and didn't ask for a call ,the gadian is very cheap now it's by bt and can be bought anywhere .
Yesterday was the past , tomorrow is the future, today is the present ....look after your gift :D

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 am

Dpeanut wrote:I have a guardian phone that blocks all unwanted calls and you can even add your own numbers. At first your friends and family members ring you and guardian asks you if you always want this number allowed through or blocked . You can unblock when ever you want. You can also see who tried to ring but was blocked . All nonsense callers will not get through and don't . As for mobile I just add to my blocked lists and luckily don't get them. Also if anyone rings with no name I don't answer as I obviously don't know them and didn't ask for a call ,the gadian is very cheap now it's by bt and can be bought anywhere .
The problem with these phones/gadgets is that it can easily block calls you 'do' want to receive. For example, many hospitals, doctors surgeries, government departments etc will either call using a generic 03 number, or possibly withhold their number. This means that you can't whitelist the number to be allowed.

Dpeanut

Post by Dpeanut » Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 pm

What happens is, the person rings and guardian asks who it is ....then rings you and you hear a recording of the person saying their name. It then gives you 3 choices to answer as a one off , to always allow , to block . It never blocks without your permission . Cold callers always hang up so you never hear your phone ring .
Yesterday was the past , tomorrow is the future, today is the present ....look after your gift :D

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Thu May 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Dpeanut wrote:What happens is, the person rings and guardian asks who it is ....then rings you and you hear a recording of the person saying their name. It then gives you 3 choices to answer as a one off , to always allow , to block . It never blocks without your permission . Cold callers always hang up so you never hear your phone ring .
That may be how the machine works, but it has flaws. When someone from the government calls you, or many other companies/organisations, the call is made by computer on their behalf, and when you answer the computer then connects to the caller. The problem with this is that the computer software is trained to detect when a recording is played, and it disconnects the call believing it is an answer machine. Therefore, their call will still not get through to you at all, even for you to make that decision. You said that cold callers always hang up - this is because it is their computer software. It is the same software that many large organisations use, and so this Guardian will, by blocking cold caller software, also block legitimate calls made by organisations using the same/similar computer software.

Dpeanut

Post by Dpeanut » Thu May 25, 2017 6:26 pm

I have never had this problem and had it many years now. All my hospitals get through due to me putting their numbers in . Anyone else rather knows me and my mobile or they can write me a letter . My life is much better for having it ....no silly o'clock calls anymore . It's great for me .

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am

I had a nuisance at 5.58 this morning ,work up with a start . It could have been family so got out of bed to check answering page on internet ............was one of those 03 numbers .lously start to the day ,if I get up too quick feel weird for the rest of the day. :x :x :x

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:26 pm

I know the feeling, I have been getting a lot from Birmingham ? then there are the ones which are from (or appear to be) Lowestoft and IF you answer the caller disconnects? I have now lost count how many numbers are now in the blocked list of my phone
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:40 pm

I may be tempting fate but my nuisance calls on the house phone seemed to have virtually dried up. My wife sometimes still calls me on my mobile...which can be a bit of a nuisance though :lol:
My Flickr pictures look here