The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

The Random Thread

General discussions about nothing in particular
nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: The Random Thread

Post by nikkai » Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

frankiesays wrote:You can have mine if you want ;-)
Is your one!!! a body that would be exploited by women ?
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Wed May 21, 2014 2:54 pm

nikkai wrote:
frankiesays wrote:You can have mine if you want ;-)
Is your one!!! a body that would be exploited by women ?
If only Nikkai! ;-)
It's grim up North...

East Point
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Female

Post by East Point » Fri May 23, 2014 11:27 am

Has anyone here had their car break down recently caused by contaminated petrol? Hubby has just had that problem and is now faced with what we expect will be a hefty bill. He filled his tank up at a local supermarket - £40-worth of fuel, which is now wasted. Can't name the supermarket on an open forum but, needless to say, he wont be returning there. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem recently.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm

There's nothing wrong with quoting facts on here EP providing you are confident or have proven that the fuel came from the one you mention. Have you made the supermarket aware of it and if so what did they have to say?
Also, what is/was the nature of the 'contamination' and was it petrol as opposed to diesel?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Fri May 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I have avoided supermarket fuel for some time now as I found that cheap was not as cheap as appeared.
I did my own experiment when after doing my accounts I noticed that I had spent quite a bit on fuel.
I put a flow meter on the car and then recorded the milage, I used the "cheap petrol" for 500 mile then drove around until the tank was virtually empty and then repeated the 500 mile test with "preimium fuel" the results were quite different and the car used more cheap fuel than the "good" stuff. I also checked the spark plugs for colour and markings, and found that the cheap fuel left deposits.
I can dig out the figures when I get home but to me the cost of servicing and usage showed that the "good fuel" ran out at better value for money.

I never fill up at supermarkets now, and use the preimium fuels when ever I can.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

East Point
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by East Point » Fri May 23, 2014 1:57 pm

boatbuilder wrote:There's nothing wrong with quoting facts on here EP providing you are confident or have proven that the fuel came from the one you mention. Have you made the supermarket aware of it and if so what did they have to say?
Also, what is/was the nature of the 'contamination' and was it petrol as opposed to diesel?
The supermarket was Morrisons BB. Hubby will make the supermarket filling station aware of it tomorrow. Not sure yet what the contamination was until hubby goes to see the mechanic tomorrow but hubby reckons it must be either oil or water. All the mechanic did was bring the car back into our drive and left a note saying what the problem was so we haven't spoken to him yet to see what caused the contamination.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri May 23, 2014 1:59 pm

I was talking to the guy at our local motorcycle workshop recently and he told me the bikes they sell are not covered under warranty if the owner uses supermarket fuel.

I seem to recall Morrisons had a problem a couple of years back and had to pay lots of compensation for damaged engines - anyone else remember that?
It's grim up North...

East Point
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by East Point » Fri May 23, 2014 2:07 pm

frankiesays wrote:I was talking to the guy at our local motorcycle workshop recently and he told me the bikes they sell are not covered under warranty if the owner uses supermarket fuel.

I seem to recall Morrisons had a problem a couple of years back and had to pay lots of compensation for damaged engines - anyone else remember that?
Well Frankie, that just proves that supermarket fuel is dodgy. I've heard too that folk from Tesco have had contaminated fuel too - read it on a forum I found by Googling.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri May 23, 2014 2:13 pm

I've been reading up on this problem on a couple of forums and everybody seems to have their own opinion on it but the general consensus is that all the fuel comes out of the same bunker at the refinery irrespective of who the end customer is but once the tanker is filled the various "special additives" that each fuel brand would say makes their fuel better is added and it is at this point that the supermarket fuel becomes different as, presumably, it has less expensive additives in it. I don't know what would constitute a bad batch though, maybe this process of adding the additives has not been carried out correctly.
It's grim up North...

East Point
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by East Point » Fri May 23, 2014 2:23 pm

True, theres lots of different opinions on this Frankie but, just to be on the safe side, we wont be getting supermarket fuel any more.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri May 23, 2014 3:28 pm

frankiesays wrote:I was talking to the guy at our local motorcycle workshop recently and he told me the bikes they sell are not covered under warranty if the owner uses supermarket fuel.
How could they prove the source?
frankiesays wrote:I seem to recall Morrisons had a problem a couple of years back and had to pay lots of compensation for damaged engines - anyone else remember that?
I seem to recall something about it. However, I believe I have read at some time of similar problems with 'branded' fuel as well.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

East Point
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by East Point » Sat May 24, 2014 4:31 pm

Well hubby went and asked the petrol station worker if they had received any other complaints but, as expected, she said 'no'. Nothing we can do now as we haven't got the receipt anyway. We'll just have to put it all behind us and forget about it.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Sat May 24, 2014 6:20 pm

They must serve hundreds a day wouldn't other people be having a problem after filling up at Morrisons - it wouldn't just affect one car? Why don't you put a letter in the journal asking if anyone else has experienced it you needn't name it just say a local supermarket because you shouldn't have to foot a big bill if it wasn't your fault

I do remember a problem a few years ago which must have come to light when lots of people complained
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

East Point
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by East Point » Sat May 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Hubby just wants an end to it all fc. As for putting a letter in the Journal, he says there's no way he'd do that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

AyB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AyB » Tue May 27, 2014 4:29 pm

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue May 27, 2014 5:10 pm

boatbuilder wrote:
How could they prove the source?
frankiesays wrote:I seem to recall Morrisons had a problem a couple of years back and had to pay lots of compensation for damaged engines - anyone else remember that?
I seem to recall something about it. However, I believe I have read at some time of similar problems with 'branded' fuel as well.
Apparently it is very easy for a refinery to prove the source so I guess if a company are trying to get out of paying a repair bill they will be happy to spend a few quid proving liability.
It's grim up North...