The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to May 1st 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 9th May 2024 at 4:48pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Have A Moan

General discussions about nothing in particular
frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Have A Moan

Post by frankiesays » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:39 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I've noticed it's the same on Facebook when somebody posts a link to a YouTube video, there is then a list of other videos all cued up ready to autoplay.
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:18 am

People who chew gum relentlessly. Don't know whether they're giving their jaw muscles a workout. And when you're talking to someone who's chewing - and their mouth is going "nineteen to the dozen" but they're not speaking . . .
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:00 pm

And I hate the ones who do this noisily.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:55 pm

frankiesays wrote:And I hate the ones who do this noisily.

I wonder if Sir Alex Ferguson is one of them. :lol:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:46 pm

I would say at a guess yes.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

It's a while since this topic has been posted in so here is a moan I have had today.

Three years ago I took out a subscription to BBC Countryfile Magazine which was paid for every six issues in advance by direct debit.

A few weeks ago I received a communication from the publishers, Immediate Media, about a price increase. Here is my 'moan' from an email I have just sent them from their website's 'Contact Us' link:
I had a subscription to this magazine for three years and was paying £19 per six issues by direct debit. About a month ago I received a letter from you advising that the price was increasing with effect from my next direct debit payment, which was due about now, to £27.00 for six issues - which actually equates to the full magazine price of £4.50 per issue as sold in the shops. In view of this I telephoned and as a result of that call decided to cancel the subscription as the person I spoke to was unable to do anything about it.

You can imagine my dismay when I look on your website today and see that you are offering subscriptions to this magazine for £19.99 for six issues paid by direct debit. Is this really the way to treat existing customers? I am utterly disgusted and am considering making my feelings known to the BBC- although I'm not sure what input the BBC has in such affairs, but as it is their name that is involved I feel they should know.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Looks like we will have to do with magazine subscriptions what we do with power and mortgages - change every year to get the newbie deal. Life gets so complicated because of greed.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:44 pm

You're probably right there, frankie.

I have now received a reply from them as follows and have sent them a suitable reply in return. This is what they said:
Thank you for contacting BBC Countryfile,

After investigating the matter for you I can confirm that our publisher releases new offers on a regular basis as enticement for new subscribers as this aids in delaying price increases for our regular subscribers such yourself as your subscription remained on a discounted rate for three years unfortunately however rising costs eventually demand price increases for all of our subscribers.

I can also confirm if you wish to take any offer you see you are more than welcome to do so.

My apologies for any inconvenience caused in this regard, if we can be of any further assistance please do contact us.

Kind Regards
It's also amazing that since I looked on their website earlier, before I sent my first email, they have now put a different offer on there - 5 issues for £5. (see image) Are they taking the p***? However, I am not tempted. I would rather give £5 to charity.
Countryfile.JPG

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Decided to go to Morrisons cafe for a quick bite to eat today. Along with my wife and grandson.

Filled tray with things to eat and drink and made my way to the counter.

Me - Could I have a cheese and mushroom omelette with chips but no beans please.

Assistant - I am sorry but we have no omelettes.

Me - Can I possibly get you some eggs from the shop, they seem to have plenty.

Assistant - I am sorry sir it doesn't work like that, our omelettes come in ready prepared.

Me - So we have a kitchen, a chef and some eggs and I cannot get an omelette.

Assistant - That is correct sir.

Sometimes I just have to give in.
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Who said they have what we call 'chefs', Morty? Everything is probably bought in ready-made/mixed for them to heat up and they are probably no more a chef than I am. :D

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:12 pm

You are probably right there BB.

Pity they don't employ someone then that can count and fill in an order form to make sure they don't run short of stuff.
I before E except after C - That's weird

SheilaO
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Female

Post by SheilaO » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Moan number I ) About three weeks ago I was sent an urgent appointment, for a gastosprosky, I had a lump in my throat, that was the start, My appointment was for 3:10 I was called into the endoscopy suite at 3:20, forms were filled in etc and three unsuccessful attempts made to put a canular in my veins for the sedative. Never mind they said, they'll do it in the treatment room. I eventually went in the treatment room at 5:30, the Doc said I looked like a nice lady, so I wouldn't need a sedative, he then proceeded in sticking a hose pipe down my throat, describing in detail to his student how nice and pink my upper and lower duodenal looked. After what seemed like an eternity, the hosepipe was removed, and they told me there was a nasty lump on my tonsils, and I needed an urgent appointment to the ENT. I had not eaten or drunk anything since 6:00am. I was feeling very shaky, and asked for a drink, I was taken to the corridor, and told to go and wait in the waiting room, I waited and I waited 20 mins passed and I saw no one, I waited, then decided to go and find someone, I found someone eventually, and was told, oh yes you can go now, I needed a letter for the the GP and I had a splitting headache, I needed a drink, I was handed a mouthful of water in a paper cup, and felt like the worst nuisance that had ever been in the department.
On the 17th March I visited the ENT, where I was informed that I had a lump on my throat, and a suspect lymph node, both of which needed attention and a biopsy as quickly as possible, I would also have to have a CT, MRI and an Ultra sound scan, before this could be done.

Moan number 2) I was rung by the consultants secretary, to say that an appointment ad been made for me to have the op as a day patient on the 21st March, I explained that I hadn't had the scans, she said that would be sorted, and I received, the appointment and the instructions on the 18th, but still no news of scans, I was also to attend a pre op assessment on the 20th, never mind, I thought, they will sort it out then. More form filling in on the 20th, and again I brought up the matter of the scans, I was informed they knew nothing about that, but I was given the telephone number of the consultants secretary, who I rang that afternoon, and I was again informed that they weren't essential before the op. to arrive at 12;00MD as instructed. When we got to the day unit on the 21st, I was prepared for the op, dressed in my backless nighty, and sox applied armband identification, the anaesthetist spoken too, I was ready to go into theatre, consultant surgeon came to speak to me, lets have a look at you scans, I haven't got any, I said, Oh, I can't operate without them, sez he................I am more than a little cheesed off to say nothing of worried.......Oh to add insult to injury, his Intern, promised to sort everything out, and ring me that evening, but he didn't, of course, so I have spent most of today on the phone trying to sort something out. My scans will now be on the 30th March and 3rd April, don't know when the lump will be removed, or the biopsy taken.

Sorry I've gone on, but I am really really cheesed off.
Our task must be to free ourselves by widening of our compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
Albert Einstein

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm not surprised your cheesed off Sheila. What a fiasco! I have always found them pretty good (guess you mean JPH) - and when you mentioned March 17th it brought back memories of my bowel cancer op which I had there on that day 11 years ago, carried out by an Irish surgeon. Prior to that op everything for me went like clock-work all within 4 weeks from the initial diagnosis the previous month.

Anyway, I hope everything gets sorted out for you quickly and now goes according to the new schedule and the biopsy reveals nothing serious.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:53 pm

My moan is about Swinton Insurance who judging by their postal address is now owned by Aviva in spite of the purposefully northern accented man on the auto switchboard. My wife's car was previously insured by KwikFit as they were cheapest at the time but in February they decided to double the renewal fee so it was time to look around again. Swinton came out cheapest and was a similar policy so I switched with no problem and informed KwikFit they had lost the business. This was Feb 17th. A couple of weeks ago I got an email from Swinton saying that unless we provided proof of no claims from KwikFit they would be forced to cancel my wife's insurance on 27th March. They'd never asked for this previous;ly so I was a bit miffed anyway. As it happened we had received that very document from KwikFit only a few days previously so I took a photo of it and uploaded it via the Swinton website as requested. Then I started receiving more emails from Swinton in a similar vein so last Saturday I called them and explained that they already had what they asked for, their reply was that they had checked for confirmation from KwikFit who said they had no record of my wife's insurance. I pointed out that they had a letter there in their possession addressed to my wife from KwikFit stating that they were sorry to be losing her business and here is the proof of nine years no claims. They put me on hold for 15 mins and during that time called my wife and asked her similar questions (I didn't know that at the time as I was on hold on the other phone).

The upshot of the call was that they apologized for the error and said not to worry they had everything they needed now. I got home this evening to find a letter telling my wife that she needs to phone Swinton urgently otherwise her insurance will be cancelled on Monday. I've just phoned them and told them they sorted this out last week, they say that it appears that the car is insured by two different insurers at the same time which is illegal, I told them this was definitely not the case and that the letter I uploaded stated that I had cancelled the renewal with KwifFit. The guy on the helpline brought the document up on his screen and confirmed that I was correct. I asked him what the problem was then, he said he'd speak to the renewal team and get back to me. He's just called back and said that the problem is that the KwikFit letter says that the renewal date of the old insurance policy was February 2018, I explained that this must obviously be some typo or error at KwikFit's end and again asked him what he wanted to do and why couldn't he just phone KwikFit up and ask them and get it straight from the horse's mouth. He asked if I had a copy of the old policy with the renewal date on it and if so could I send it to them, I asked him again why not just phone KwikFit and ask, he said he will do as a matter of urgency so I asked why he needed the old document then. Anyway, I now have to upload a copy of the old policy via the Swinton website but I have no confidence it will be sorted then and am expecting the policy to be cancelled on Monday - what a shambles.
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Had you noticed yourself that the date of February 2018 was typed on the letter? I would have also thought that with the way everything to do with cars is now all centrally computerised, they would have been able to check it out that way for themselves. After all, it is through that system that the police now check everything - Tax, MOT and Insurance so why can't they?

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 pm

I am having a moan about me. Yesterday I was moaning to my wife about something whilst we were out and thought to myself I would write it up in the 'Have A Moan' topic on MyLowestoft. And do you know this morning I sat at the computer and couldn't remember what I was moaning about yesterday. I asked the wife and she just shrugged and said "You are always moaning, I don't take any notice". So whatever it was I can't moan about it so I have had a moan about myself...or my forgetfulness I should say.

On a positive note it couldn't have been that important or I would have remembered.....Wouldn't I? :think:
My Flickr pictures look here