The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 3rd 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 11th April 2024 at 7:10pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Is Mary Berry being hypocritical?

All things food related. Recipes, What's for Dinner, wine and drink, grocery shopping and general chat about all things food.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Is Mary Berry being hypocritical?

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Bake Off's Mary Berry criticised by MasterChef judge over fryers

MasterChef judge Gregg Wallace has criticised Great British Bake Off star Mary Berry over her suggestion that no family should own a deep-fat fryer.
Writing in the Sun, Wallace said the UK was "built on chips and spam fritters", and called Berry's comments an "attack on our British way of life".
Berry told Good Housekeeping that homes should not have fryers and children should not consume "sugared drinks".
The latest Bake Off series began on Wednesday, with millions watching.
Wallace's comments come after Berry told Good Housekeeping: "We need to teach parents about the right foods to give children. It's very difficult.
"Many people think children must have chips. I don't think any household should have a deep fat fryer."
Wallace called the remarks "ludicrous".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37207911

IMO she IS being hypocritical when she also goes on to say 'children should not consume "sugared drinks" '. Surely most of the cakes she 'promotes' in the Bake-off program also contain lots of sugar. :roll:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Re: Is Mary Berry being hypocritical?

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:52 pm

I think there are 2 ways of looking at things.
1) From an unemotional detached view, thinking globally, I think she was right; in the developed world we do eat and drink too many sugary things, and often as parents we give in and give our kids the sugary treats they want as it's simply easier.
2) From a nostalgic emotional viewpoint, our country has a history of frying anything we can imagine! It is nice to think of this as our national heritage, like Italy has pizzas etc. Otherwise, what do the British have?

I personally don't have a fryer, as most things that were once fried can instead be oven-baked or grilled on the George Foreman healthy grill.

I'm also glad the article mentioned Jaffa cakes. I always kept Jaffa dunking as a guilty secret, and now I feel confident to stand tall and proclaim I too am a Jaffa dunker! There is, however, a skilled technique to it; too long and it falls off into the tea, and too little and you lack the squidginess (?) that is required.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:50 pm

amansin wrote: It is nice to think of this as our national heritage, like Italy has pizzas etc. Otherwise, what do the British have?
Yorkshire Puddings, Cornish Pasties and like you say Amansin the good old deep fat fried Fish & Chips :D

Most houses when I was younger had a 'chip pan' where the good old British chip would be cooked in pan full of heated lard (my mouth is watering thinking of it ;). But fashions change, nowadays people have frozen oven chips and wedges and have plenty of fast food outlets to eat their French fries...so the chip pan disappeared from homes and the deep fat fryer emerged with all sorts of oils, olive, sunflower, rape seed etc. to fry your grub in. I wouldn't want one but I don't think Mary Berry should try and dictate what parents feed their children on...anything in moderation I say.
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:35 am

I ve never owned a deep fat fryer but as a kid when I came home from school and Nan asked what I fancied to eat I d say can I have a 'fry up'..... which would be bacon egg and delicious fried bread (I haven't had fried bread for years ) I can't remember ever deep frying anything as an adult or a child , but love my stir fries so an ordinary frying pan is a must for me
I do think Mary Berry has a point as a nation we are getting really fat BUT I also think her cakes and sweet stuff are part of the problem so yes maybe she was being a bit of a hypocrite
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:19 am

I can see the point in having a deep fryer if there's a family to feed,I owned one many moons ago but now waste of space in my very small kitchen.The only electrcial gagets I have now are a toaster and a handheld food mixer.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:44 am

funkychick wrote:.....BUT I also think her cakes and sweet stuff are part of the problem so yes maybe she was being a bit of a hypocrite
That was just the point I was making, FC.

I see today she has spoken on Radio4 about it and now saying that deep fat fryers are dangerous. However if you listen to the short clip HERE she is talking about both 'deep fat fryers' and the old traditional 'chip pan' as we called them. Yes, the old chip pan could be dangerous if it wasn't watched carefully, but the 'deep fat fryers' are no more dangerous than any of the tumble dryers that have made the news in recent years causing fires because of a fault with them. Sounds to me like she was trying to steer the criticism about them away from her original comment.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget