The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

What's For Supper/Dinner?

All things food related. Recipes, What's for Dinner, wine and drink, grocery shopping and general chat about all things food.
Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Male/Female: female

Re: What's For Supper/Dinner?

Post by Meryl » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:23 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I tried a TV chef's tip yesterday. It was to peel sprouts in the usual way [halve them if they are big] Place in a saucepan with a little water and a good knob of butter, put on the lid and cook . Not too long as they will boil dry. A great improvement on the "boiled to death" ones.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by Trigger » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am

There was an interesting programme on Sunday (still on iPlayer) - “Christmas Supermarket Secrets” - showing how retailers cope at Christmas. One thing looked at was - Brussels Sprouts! And scientists are developing sweeter varieties to make them more palatable. My Gran always boiled all veggies from around 10am - until they were served! :roll:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

beachgirl

Post by beachgirl » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:59 am

I'm writing this on both sites in the hope of getting lucky with a recipe.
Does anyone have a good one for making Christmas puddings ? Up until this year I have always been able to buy the ones made by Crosse & Blackwell over here but guess I will have to have a go at making my own as I can't find them. I have a few English cookbooks but surprisingly enough they don't have a recipe for that. Would appreciate it. Thanks
If you're lucky enough to live at the beach, you're lucky enough

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:28 am

Beachgirl - here's a video & recipe from you for Christmas Pud recipe from Delia Smith - ingredients listed in video. I think the recipe as given makes a rather large pudding!

‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Unfortunately, if you want to make one for this Christmas it is a bit late. The best tasting ones are usually left to mature for quite a while.
It's grim up North...

Karen
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Karen » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:20 pm

Stew and dumplings for supper tonight....,yum!

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:05 am

Lunch today is sliced cold Chicken with “Extra chunky” chips! I’ve got a Mango Chutney that I really like - a “Tesco Finest” made with Alphonso Mango, Bulida Apricots, and Bramley Apples - scrumptious!! Tonight, I’ll use the left-over Chicken to make Chicken and Mayo sandwiches!
cook2

Karen
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Karen » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Pork chops and mac 'n cheese.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Had a very nice M&S ready-meal from their "Balanced for You" range: Italian Pot Roast Chicken in a rich tomato sauce with rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted mushrooms and kale. The meal is High Protein + Balanced Carbs and 484 calories!
Most enjoyable! Image

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:54 pm

For our evening meal today I am making Steak and Mushroom pies with home made shortcrust pastry. The steak and mushrooms are currently in the slow cooker with the stock and the pastry is already made and waiting. There will be adequate to make four so will freeze two down for another time. Tonight's meal will be accompanied by new potatoes, carrots and runner beans. I might even have a glass of red wine with it as well. drinker1
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Today we are having mini meat loaves with gravy,Yukon gold potatoes,sweet corn and biscuits.I made my daughter and son in law a meat pie to take home with them.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Really enjoyed the Steak and Mushroom pie this evening. Went down well with a glass of Red Bordeaux. Followed by fresh raspberries, imported unfortunately so not as good as British ones but still enjoyable, then coffee and a small Cognac. Now feel all warm and contented, or is it drinker3 :lol:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:46 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Really enjoyed the Steak and Mushroom pie this evening. Went down well with a glass of Red Bordeaux. Followed by fresh raspberries, imported unfortunately so not as good as British ones but still enjoyable, then coffee and a small Cognac. Now feel all warm and contented, or is it drinker3 :lol:
Is this a typical every day meal or a special occasion BB ? :roll:
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:51 pm

Suffolkboy wrote:
boatbuilder wrote:Really enjoyed the Steak and Mushroom pie this evening. Went down well with a glass of Red Bordeaux. Followed by fresh raspberries, imported unfortunately so not as good as British ones but still enjoyable, then coffee and a small Cognac. Now feel all warm and contented, or is it drinker3 :lol:
Is this a typical every day meal or a special occasion BB ? :roll:
Now that would be telling, SB. :D

No, it wasn't a special occasion, I just fancied a long, relaxing evening meal - especially after the time spent making it. Image

Karen
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Karen » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:21 am

Roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, potatoes, carrots and Brussels sprouts. Nice English dinner to go along with an evening of breaking television. The Great British Baking show, then Downton Abbey and then Grantchester.

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:39 pm

Went to Cheddars for lunch so brought home some chicken tenders and I made a sandwich for my supper,Bob ate his with honey mustard dipping sauce.Then same T.V. as you Karen.I love Sunday night T.V.Just wish Saturday had a better lineup.