The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

What's For Supper/Dinner?

All things food related. Recipes, What's for Dinner, wine and drink, grocery shopping and general chat about all things food.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: What's For Supper/Dinner?

Post by Trigger » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:31 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Yesterday I had Roast Chicken for lunch - with Roast Potatoes (basted with Beef dripping - thank you M&S!), veggies, and Yorkshire Pud - which my Aunt Bessie makes for me! Admittedly, it was rather hot in the kitchen! cook2

PS Also had a very small glass of chilled Chardonnay!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Whilst I planned on having a Roast Chicken lunch - I changed plans and had a Picnic Lunch (indoors!). So - it was 4 “dainty” Ham sandwiches (Orange Marmalade Ham - “Slowly cooked with orange juice and zest, and roasted with Orange Marmalade”) plus a Breakfast Scotch Egg, and a bowl of potato wedges - with Mayo for dunking! All washed down with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc.

After a suitable "break" - that was followed by a very nice All-butter Pain aux Raisins (see photo) accompanied by freshly made Cappuccino. And ended up with some well-deserved zzzzz-time!
Attachments
IMG_0272_07.jpg
IMG_0272_07.jpg (75.31 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:27 pm

Today I heard about “Bubble Tea”! Definition: ‘Most bubble tea recipes contain a tea base mixed / shaken with fruit or milk, to which chewy tapioca balls and/or fruit jellies are often added.’ Doubt you can dunk your Hobnobs in that! Somehow I don’t think I’ll be bothering with Bubble Tea! :D

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:01 am

Has nobody eaten anything interesting since July? I am defrosting a leg of lamb the old-fashioned way this morning, in a sink full of hot water. I won't post a picture as it is not very interesting - it will be when it has cooked but I will have long forgotten this thread by then! I don't like defrosting in the microwave as it tends to start cooking one end whilst the other is still frosted.

Has anybody tried defrosting in a halogen oven?
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:19 am

Of course you could have taken it out of the freezer 24 hours or so ago and let it defrost slowly in the fridge. I must say that using hot water is certainly not the best way to do it from a bacterial point of view according to the 'experts' but I'm not sure why if you are going to cook it shortly after. Probably something to do with the rate at which the organisms multiply. I have occasionally taken chicken (portions) out of the freezer later than planned but have defrosted them in the more recommended way - in cold water - although I don't like doing it that way either.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:32 am

A roast dinner was a late decision this morning hence to speedy defrosting - may have to use the microwave as yet but the lamb from which the leg originated couldn't have been a very big one. I'm fed up with the usual business of picking at bits over the festive period and fancied a proper dinner. The current Mrs H is working today so I will knock something up for her return at 17:30.
It's grim up North...

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:12 pm

Here we are having baked potato with tuna (for her) and beans & bacon for HIM there will also be a little side salad just to use the last of that up (waste not want not)
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:11 pm

Fish,French fries & hush puppies for me,Fish coleslaw and hush puppies for Bob.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:26 pm

I've had chilli con carne and rice, followed by stewed apples and ice-cream 8-)
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:29 pm

I decided to treat my wife (and myself, of course) to one of Morrison's £15 Valentine's meals including wine tonight. The starter was Cheese Souffle followed by a main course of Beef Wellington accompanied by Cauliflower Cheese and finishing with a delicious Profiterole Dessert. All washed down with an excellent bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc followed by coffee and after-dinner mints (these last two not included in the price). Won't do much for my wife's blood-glucose but she is entitled to an occasional treat and we both thoroughly enjoyed it and was well worth the money. :D

My wife has just said she feels 'full'. :lol:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:09 pm

This is not something for Supper or Dinner, but for Breakfast.

About four or five months ago I started making my own Granola - not for me but for my wife - and which she loves. It takes about 2 hours to make, including the preparation, but my wife thinks it's well worth it so who am I to argue? I just do the work. :roll:

As I had to make some today, something I do about once a month as that is how long one batch lasts her, I decided to take a series of pictures as I did it and thought it would be interesting to try and produce a 'recipe booklet' for it using the various pictures I took. The finished article is in PDF format and can be downloaded HERE if anyone is interested.

Here is a picture to whet your appetite Image :
Attachments
Granola.jpg

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:47 pm

We usually eat breakfast at our local diner.Today we decided to have lunch there.I had grilled chicken,home fries,salad,fresh fruit and garlic bread from the Senior menu-I had water with lemon-it cost $7.49 for all.Bob had chicken fried steak,home fries,chicken noodle soup,garlic bread,fresh fruit and coffee-his total was $8.49.Unlimited cups of coffee.I think he had three.We won't be needing anything else today except a cuppa-we will definitely have lunch there again though.Our bill was $17.57(including tax)

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 pm

A drive to Salthouse today found us visiting the Norfolk Wildlife Trust and then onto Cookies for a Lobster salad. Proper Suffolkboy food. :D
Attachments
DSCN8295.JPG
DSCN8295.JPG (103.31 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
DSCN8297.JPG
DSCN8297.JPG (93.35 KiB) Viewed 1097 times
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:56 am

That look s very good ,not a lot of the "rabbit" food in there! ! ! !

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:05 pm

Pie Chips Sweetcorn (and whatever SWMBO puts on the plate
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Suffolkboy wrote:A drive to Salthouse today found us visiting the Norfolk Wildlife Trust and then onto Cookies for a Lobster salad. Proper Suffolkboy food. :D
A pint of thousand island dressing would go a treat with that SB? Over the food obviously, I've not tried drinking the stuff - yet.
It's grim up North...