The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Useful Kitchen gadgets

All things food related. Recipes, What's for Dinner, wine and drink, grocery shopping and general chat about all things food.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Useful Kitchen gadgets

Post by Trigger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 pm

I occasionally have chips (frozen - can’t faff about making real chips for one!) - recently I came across a “Chip Mesh” (see below) which I’ve found very useful - and not only for chips. I use it mainly in my Halogen oven. Searching around the cost can be up to £7. Won’t tell you what I paid - but I’ll give you a clue - Poundland! :roll:
Attachments
ChipMesh_03.jpg
ChipMesh_03.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Useful Kitchen gadgets

Post by Mel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:00 am

Trigger wrote: Won’t tell you what I paid - but I’ll give you a clue - Poundland! :roll:
I would guess about £2.75p Trigger ;) 8-)

I don't have real homemade chips anymore neither Trigger, the only time I eat chips at home is if I have fish and chips and that is always from the chippy. Just had a rummage through the wife's drawers and cupboards and we don't seem to possess a chip pan, maybe I could buy her one for her birthday :lol:

Can always remember my mother's chip pan when we were kids, it used to sit on top of the stove black on the bottom and full of cold lard...it smelt great when it was heated up :)
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:07 am

Parboil the chips then cook them in a hot oven with a spray of light oil yummy.and not very calorific
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:43 am

Mel wrote:
Trigger wrote: Won’t tell you what I paid - but I’ll give you a clue - Poundland! :roll:
Poundland - £2.75p - :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol:
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:35 am

Re: Chips - I say, let those who want to faff about and make them - good for them!! I’m all for taking the easiest route to ending up with the food I want. cook1

And, having a memory of seeing my Aunt’s kitchen after her young son decided (while she was out) to make some chips - result: chip pan fire - and wrecked kitchen!

The “Chip Mesh” I bought was a BOGOF deal!! :lol:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 am

Mel wrote:

I don't have real homemade chips anymore neither Trigger, the only time I eat chips at home is if I have fish and chips and that is always from the chippy. Just had a rummage through the wife's drawers and cupboards and we don't seem to possess a chip pan, maybe I could buy her one for her birthday :lol:

Can always remember my mother's chip pan when we were kids, it used to sit on top of the stove black on the bottom and full of cold lard...it smelt great when it was heated up :)
I don't wish to be unkind Mel but if your wife's drawers are big enough to conceal a chip pan....... :-0

I get frozen french fries from Lidl @ 69p for 1kg and cook them in my trusty Aldi chip fryer that only takes 5 mins to heat up and the same to cook - no oven chips for me, takes far too long and rarely turn out right.
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:08 pm

I think it’s important to realise we all do these things the best way for us. As long as the results are as we want them to be - does it really matter how we get there - whether via frozen chips, homemade chips, etc. etc?
Attachments
chips.jpg
chips.jpg (10.14 KiB) Viewed 991 times

East Point
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: Female

Post by East Point » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Oh dear, I must be really old-fashioned then 'cos I peel spuds and cut up chips. I'll be doing some tonight. Am very tempted though to change over to frozen chips.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:18 pm

East Point wrote:Oh dear, I must be really old-fashioned then 'cos I peel spuds and cut up chips. I'll be doing some tonight. Am very tempted though to change over to frozen chips.
Nothing wrong with that EP,we have frozen oven ready chips and if I am honest I would rather peel spuds and make my own they taste better,then everything these days is for quickness and easiness which isn't always the best. Must admit I shall be giving Poundland a look to see Trigger's new acquisition although I think we have a similar one with our Halogen oven,always looking for improvements where available.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:12 pm

frankiesays wrote:I don't wish to be unkind Mel but if your wife's drawers are big enough to conceal a chip pan....... :-0
It is not only a chip pan Frankiesays, in her drawers there is room for a set of saucepans a wok and a canteen of cutlery too!!
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:45 pm

East Point wrote:Oh dear, I must be really old-fashioned then 'cos I peel spuds and cut up chips. I'll be doing some tonight. Am very tempted though to change over to frozen chips.
EP: Be very proud of being "old fashioned"! If you wanna make chips, you make 'em!! I've tried a few different brands of frozen chips - and the ones I preferred - 'cos they taste like chips (might taste even better sprinkled with salt & vinegar and eaten from newspaper!) - are from M&S.

cook2

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Suffolkboy wrote: Must admit I shall be giving Poundland a look to see Trigger's new acquisition although I think we have a similar one with our Halogen oven,always looking for improvements where available.
Haven't heard of these coming with Halogen Ovens - well, mine didn't. This "chip Mesh" is about 12" square - and can pop that on the Halogen Oven's stand - and cooked chippies are easy to lift out! You can also put it on the ordinary oven's rack - that way the chips are not just on a baking tray.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Mel wrote: It is not only a chip pan Frankiesays, in her drawers there is room for a set of saucepans a wok and a canteen of cutlery too!!
# And a Partridge in a Pear Tree # :roll:

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:06 pm

Mel wrote:
frankiesays wrote:I don't wish to be unkind Mel but if your wife's drawers are big enough to conceal a chip pan....... :-0
It is not only a chip pan Frankiesays, in her drawers there is room for a set of saucepans a wok and a canteen of cutlery too!!
You're my kind of man Mel - living on the edge!
It's grim up North...

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suffolkboy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:12 pm

frankiesays wrote:
Mel wrote:
You're my kind of man Mel - living on the edge!
I bet there's not room for you Mel. Sorry just had to say it. ;) :oops: :lol: