The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 24th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 2nd May 2024 at 7:10pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Apple devices - Image orientation

Photos, Albums and anything photography related are all here. You can also show your own YouTube videos - use the YouTube BBCode combined with the video's own unique code to embed them into your posts.
Forum rules
You must be the copyright holder of any images and videos posted in these pages, or elsewhere on the forum, or have the permission of the copyright holder to display them. Videos linked directly to Youtube are exempt from this requirement. The copyright of images posted remains with the person who posted them or the person who gave permission for them to be posted, and their permission must be sought by anyone wishing to use them elsewhere.
The maximum permitted file size for uploads is now 2-Megabyte (2,048 KB) per image and a maximum of FOUR images per post. Guidance to the posting of images can be found HERE
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Apple devices - Image orientation

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I wouldn't disagree with that but it doesn't solve the problem here, although the instances of it happening on here have been rare. I have only noticed it previously with my own images taken with the iPhone and posted from the computer. I have then taken steps to correct the orientation almost immediately and reposting it. I seem to recall that when I rotated them in software such as 'irfanview' it made no difference to how they appeared on here, it had to be done in the file manager as I previously indicated in another post above.
I will continue pursuing it through other channels to try and resolve it.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:17 pm

I just located this on the phpbb support forums (this forum uses phpbb software). Doesn't seem to be much help but does confirm and explain the issue we are faced with.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2164399

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm

As the community post suggests, it is the way in which EXIF data is saved on iPhones that sometimes 'fails'. The best thing to do is to copy onto a computer, then overwrite existing EXIF data by editing it in a photo editor such as Photoshop or Gimp. Rotating the image 90 degrees in the PC editor, saving and then rotating the image -90 degrees to bring it back to normal - saving again - should overwrite the orientation EXIF data as created by Apple products and make things right. A bit of a faff, but at the moment the best solution.

At least this is confirmation it is an Apple issue rather than a forum issue.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:54 pm

This image was taken portrait with my iPhone and emailed to myself.
Posted as it was saved to the computer it displays as this (displayed as landscape on computer):
IMG_1029
IMG_1029
Opened with 'Irfanview' and just re-saved as a new file name without any changes and it displays as this (displayed correctly as portrait on computer):
IMG_1029(a)
IMG_1029(a)
The thumbnails of the two files displayed in the file manager are the reverse of how they are posted above, as shown here:
IMG_1029 is the one that displays in landscape and IMG_1029(a) the one that displays as the correct portrait.
Screen1.JPG
Screen1.JPG (12.93 KiB) Viewed 310 times

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:27 pm

I ll try and remember to take them on the iPad in landscape but the remembering brain cells dont always work so you might have to remind me if I get it wrong again
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.