The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Photography Chat!

Photos, Albums and anything photography related are all here. You can also show your own YouTube videos - use the YouTube BBCode combined with the video's own unique code to embed them into your posts.
Forum rules
You must be the copyright holder of any images and videos posted in these pages, or elsewhere on the forum, or have the permission of the copyright holder to display them. Videos linked directly to Youtube are exempt from this requirement. The copyright of images posted remains with the person who posted them or the person who gave permission for them to be posted, and their permission must be sought by anyone wishing to use them elsewhere.
The maximum permitted file size for uploads is now 2-Megabyte (2,048 KB) per image and a maximum of FOUR images per post. Guidance to the posting of images can be found HERE
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Photography Chat!

Post by Trigger » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

'nother 'tekkie' question for you! Being the non-adventurous soul that I am, all photos are "jpeg". When I reduce the image size for posting here or elesewhere, I use PIXresizer and it's saved as jpeg file. Just resized a file and I notice its suddenly become a "tga"; and this has happened once before. I've checked the program and 5 formats are listed but not that one (although I notice there a button to press to be saved as original – must remember that!).
I've done a search and found info but it means little to me! Obviously I'll make sure I click on "Save as original" - but puzzled how it would saved as 'a.tga' - or is my PC just trying to take over again! :D
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:52 pm

If your PC is anything like mine probably trying a take over.Iv'e changed things and later everything goes back to how it was.Weird.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Trigger wrote:I've done a search and found info but it means little to me!
Same here Trigger, had a little Google and all I came up with is: TAGRA is a bitmapped graphics file format :think:

I tend to stick to RAW and JPG'S...I am OK then ;) :)
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:10 pm

I have to admit I've never encountered that one before, However, just looked in the file extensions in the Irfanview program I use and it is listed there as an extension that can be used. Apparently stands for 'Truevision Targa' and here is a bit about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truevision_TGA

Out of interest, I just saved a 10.8 MB JPEG file into that format and the file size then became 57.8 MB. Obviously no compression.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Mel wrote:
Trigger wrote:I've done a search and found info but it means little to me!
I tend to stick to RAW and JPG'S...I am OK then ;) :)
Me too (jpegs always) but it was not by choice - and only 2nd time it's happened. 'tis a puzzlement! :huh:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks BB - just puzzled why it happened as I always save them the same way. I'll make sure I click the little button marked "save as original"!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:20 pm

I have occasionally found a file has saved in a different format that what was intended but don't know why.

Incidentally, this forum allows files with .tga extensions to be attached but of course the size limit still has to be 2MB and as they don't seem to be compressed files, they would likely have to be small images.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:36 pm

Out of interest, I have just tried to post part of an image I posted earlier in Ships & Boats cropped down to 800 x 522 pixels with a file size of 1.19 MB in .tga and it doesn't seem to want to post despite being included in the forum's settings.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:27 am

Having just viewed the following BBC article on the winners of the 2017 Royal Photographic Society competition, I do wonder about who chooses these so-called 'winners'. Apart from maybe the last two images (the Maid in the Mist and the Whippet) all the others I see as no more than 'posed' images which, in my opinion, are nothing special. I honestly believe there are far better images posted by our members on this forum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-41472252

PS. I initially intended to make a post highlighting the results but when I had viewed them all I thought to myself 'They're nothing special', so thought I would voice my honest opinion instead. What are yours?

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:11 am

boatbuilder wrote:PS. I initially intended to make a post highlighting the results but when I had viewed them all I thought to myself 'They're nothing special', so thought I would voice my honest opinion instead. What are yours?
Apart from the 'Maid in the Mist' and the one with the girl in the water with her horse, I wasn't that impressed with the winners. Maybe the stories behind the pictures were what impressed the judges instead of the actual photo; which if that is the case it is wrong!
My Flickr pictures look here

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:37 am

I wasn't impressed either ,often wondered how photos are judged .

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Video captures moment a meteor explodes in the night sky

This incredible video made from a series of images captures the 'once in a lifetime' moment a meteor explodes and then disintegrates into the night sky above a castle. The breathtaking scene - recorded very few times on camera - was caught during an Orionid meteor shower on Saturday, October 20.

SWNS on MSN

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:00 pm

I recently added a new page to my Suffolk World website containing over a hundred images taken at the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum in Flixton, Suffolk, at the following link. I had previously posted about 15 of the images on here back in 2016.

https://suffolk-world.com/places/flixton.htm