The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Problems re-sizing pictures?

Photos, Albums and anything photography related are all here. You can also show your own YouTube videos - use the YouTube BBCode combined with the video's own unique code to embed them into your posts.
Forum rules
You must be the copyright holder of any images and videos posted in these pages, or elsewhere on the forum, or have the permission of the copyright holder to display them. Videos linked directly to Youtube are exempt from this requirement. The copyright of images posted remains with the person who posted them or the person who gave permission for them to be posted, and their permission must be sought by anyone wishing to use them elsewhere.
The maximum permitted file size for uploads is now 2-Megabyte (2,048 KB) per image and a maximum of FOUR images per post. Guidance to the posting of images can be found HERE
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Problems re-sizing pictures?

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:07 pm

For those having problems re-sizing, this is how you can re-size using 'Paint' if you have no other method.

Just open the image with 'Paint' and under the 'Home' tab there is an icon named 'Resize'. Click on that and it opens a window 'Resize and Skew'

Click on the 'Pixels' button and enter a figure - say 800 - in the 'Horizontal' box and make sure the box 'Maintain aspect ratio' is ticked which ensures the Vertical size stays in proportion.

Click 'OK' and it's done. Save the re-sized image as a JPEG. If the file size after saving happens to be larger than 250KB you can go through the same operation again and if it wasn't much over the 250KB, resize using the 'Percentage' button rather than 'Pixels' one and put in let's say 90 (percent) in the 'Horizontal' box making sure that the 'Maintain aspect ratio' box is again ticked, then click 'OK'

Save the image again and this can be done quickly by either using (CTRL+S) on your keyboard and it will overwrite the previously saved image automatically, or clicking the 'floppy disk' icon at the very top left of the 'Paint' window.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Problems re-sizing pictures?

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:40 pm

I have extracted and moved the above post from the recent competition topic in which it was included so it can be found easily by anybody who might need to refer to it.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:09 pm

GOOD NEWS!

I have decided to increase the file size for pictures that can be posted as attachments on the forum. With immediate effect this has now been increased from 250 KB to 1,024 KB (1-Megabyte). Hopefully this will prove useful to anybody who has trouble re-sizing their pictures to the old 250 KB maximum that was permitted. It will also mean that you will be able to post larger pixel-sized images where you think that your pictures benefit from being viewed in a larger format.

Of course they will not appear in the post as the large size but in proportion to the current maximum size that can be displayed - 600 x 600 pixels. However, by clicking on any displayed images that have been posted in a larger format than 600 x 600 pixels, they will be opened in their posted size as does the example below which has an original posting size of 1920 x 1280 pixels and a file size of approx. 0.97 Megabytes. There is still the limit of 3 images per post.

This increased file size also applies to any other types of attachments that are permitted - such as .pdf, .xls and .doc files to name but a few.

This new size also applies to attachments in Private Messages - however, the maximum number of attachments permitted in PM's is two.
Attachments
Click the image to view at full size
Click the image to view at full size

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:59 pm

Won't let me attach a photo which is 466kb.
The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 800 pixels wide and 800 pixels high. The submitted image is 1440 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high.
The file appears to be within the new rules of under 1mb file size. Any ideas?
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 pm

Are you trying to attach or are you posting a link to another website such as Flickr/Photobucket, JustStu?

If an attachment then can i suggest you email the image as an attachment to admin@mylowestoft.com and I will see if I can find out why?

edit: I have resolved the issue, JustStu. It seems the software allowed admin to post images above 800 x 800 but not other members so I set up a dummy regular member (see post below this) and amended a setting and it should now work for you, Sorry about that but at least it's now sorted so you can post your picture now.

JustStu2

Post by JustStu2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks BB, works fine now.
I went into a shop and said, "Can someone sell me a kettle." The bloke said "Kenwood" I said, "Where is he?"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:43 pm

Pleased to be of assistance, JustStu,

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 am

Testing Testing...
Attachments
cwml.jpg
My Flickr pictures look here

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:27 pm

Testing.

Luvely old job BB.I got it :o :lol:
Attachments
DSCF4071 copy.JPG
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:11 am

Thanks for doing that, BB! Much appreciated. And also for the clear instructions . . . I didn't have to consult my "Posting Photos for Dummies" once! 8-)
Attachments
P1000548_03.jpg
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:45 am

You're welcome Trigger. Always pleased to help. I don't think for one moment you really need that book.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:11 am

boatbuilder wrote:I don't think for one moment you really need that book.
I don't know about that! I had fun reducing the photo so it would be the "right size" when you clicked on it. The first couple of tries filled the screen (22" monitor) and probably extended "To Infinity and Beyond"! Image
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:01 am

Trigger, in many cases as with this picture, it shouldn't be necessary to re-size the image in pixel dimensions. This one is still in its original size - 3888 x 2592 pixels and it's original file size was 4.25 Megabytes. I just opened the image with the 'Irfanview' program I use and re-saved it giving it a file size limitation of 1024 KB (1MB) - the maximum post size now permitted on here. If the new file size won't accommodate the compression required to retain the picture quality it will tell you and only then should you need to re-size it by pixel size. This one saved at 0.99MB.

Clicking on the image below will open the image in the window and If your browser's settings are configured to fit the image to the window then clicking again on the picture that opens will bring it to full size which will then spill off the screen.
Attachments
Oulton Broad.JPG

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks for the info - I’m impressed, bb! I use “PIXresizer” which doesn’t seem to have (as far as I can see) the facility to “save it giving it a file size limitation of 1024 KB (1MB)”. I don’t seem to be able to “get on with” Irfanview - will download it again and just hope there’s a “Dummies” Guide available!! :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 am

I get on fine with it Trigger. If you need to ask anything, feel free to do so. Maybe I should write a manual for it! :D