The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Some Really Old Photographs.

Photos, Albums and anything photography related are all here. You can also show your own YouTube videos - use the YouTube BBCode combined with the video's own unique code to embed them into your posts.
Forum rules
You must be the copyright holder of any images and videos posted in these pages, or elsewhere on the forum, or have the permission of the copyright holder to display them. Videos linked directly to Youtube are exempt from this requirement. The copyright of images posted remains with the person who posted them or the person who gave permission for them to be posted, and their permission must be sought by anyone wishing to use them elsewhere.
The maximum permitted file size for uploads is now 2-Megabyte (2,048 KB) per image and a maximum of FOUR images per post. Guidance to the posting of images can be found HERE
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Some Really Old Photographs.

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:22 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Do you really mean Brixham and not Brixton? Do they have a prison there?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:32 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Do you really mean Brixham and not Brixton? Do they have a prison there?
It was definitely Brixham Boatbuilder, I can remember the judge's Devonshire accent as he sentenced....oops to much information mad1
My Flickr pictures look here

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:40 pm

boatbuilder wrote:I was considering going outside and stopping one of them and showing them your picture Trigger and asking them if it was you they were looking for.
1. It wasn't me that there were looking for - that neck of the woods isn't my usual haunting ground.

2. They would have refused - they've complained to me that they have too many photos of me already
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:58 pm

Between you and now Mel, Trigger, we seem to have a right bunch of crooks on here now.Image Image

I didn't know you were a ghost as well,Trigger. Do you only 'haunt' North Lowestoft? Image

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:54 am

boatbuilder wrote: Between you and now Mel, Trigger, we seem to have a right bunch of crooks on here now.
You mean - you've only just realised it?
boatbuilder wrote: I didn't know you were a ghost as well,Trigger. Do you only 'haunt' North Lowestoft?
Oh yes - I like to make a spectre of myself occasionally! FYI My haunting activities are here, there, and everywhere! :shock:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Just found this photo of my mother - I’d guess she’s around 16/17 there! Probably in her best Party frock!
Attachments
IMG_0002.jpg

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:36 am

An old Lowestoft Company name . . . although I think the driver looks a bit small for driving such a big vehicle! :roll:
Attachments
IMG_OldName_03.jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:12 am

Trigger wrote:..... I think the driver looks a bit small for driving such a big vehicle! :roll:
Could that be you, Trigger? :?:

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:24 am

boatbuilder wrote: Could that be you, Trigger? :?:
It could be but, unfortunately, that lad's nose is "hidden" - so cannot identify for certain. :roll:

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:48 pm

“A fine spectacular episode, founded upon fact, took place at Lowestoft on Thursday, when the Lowestoft Operatic and Dramatic Society presented the Landing of King George II.”

NB. King George II did actually land at Lowestoft whilst on his voyage to Hanover* on 14th January, 1737.
* I think it’s Hanover - I’m trying to decipher a faint pencil note on the back of the photograph!

PS This story occupied the Daily Mirror's front page (05/07/35): "Lowestoft's Welcome to King George II - crowds at Jubilee Pageant.
Attachments
IMG_GeorgeII .jpg

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue May 12, 2020 3:01 pm

These photos were of a young lad who could have been 'The Greatest', but retired early. Another boxer pinched his nickname and did quite well I believe.
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (196.75 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
scan0014.jpg
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue May 12, 2020 3:07 pm

Continuing the story of 'The Greatest', the first photo is of his mum putting his name and address round his neck in case he got lost. Next to him is his sister, Irene or 'Little Rene', mum was 'Big Rene'. Sister Rene didn't win a prize, but she was the prettiest belly dancer there. The second photo is of brother and sister guarding the cake, the story goes that to keep it safe they ate it all before someone pinched it. :lol:
scan0015.jpg
scan0013.jpg
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:59 am

Great pictures, Dave. You look a little imp in that last picture. :twisted: Would they have been around the time of the Coronation? :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri May 13, 2022 3:20 pm

This picture came into my possession today, by way of a cousin of mine.

The adult in the picture is my maternal grandmother and my mum is the girl on the extreme left of the picture when she was about five-years-old. All the other children are my aunts and uncles. I guess my grandad would have been away at sea at the time, or he may have even taken the picture. There was an eighth child in the family but I think he had died before this was taken. The picture dates from 1911.
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (150.05 KiB) Viewed 1076 times