What We've Watched On TV...

Discuss Cinema, Theatre, Shows, Music, Games and all forms of media and entertainment here.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: What We've Watched On TV...

Postby boatbuilder » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:35

If anyone was an avid fan of 'Downton Abbey' you might be interested to know that Amazon are currently selling the complete series boxed sets of all 52 episodes and extras for £23.69 on Blu-ray (22 discs) or £18.99 on DVD (26 discs). Note: click the DVD link box - where it shows the price of £16.14 - for the full list of DVD variations when the link below opens

DOWNTON ABBEY at AMAZON
Downton.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flickr-pics

A - S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

"You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Sat Dec 30, 2017 22:13

I've just been watching a recording I made of a program that was first broadcast on Channel 5 on the 18th December (nothing else worth watching tonight) entitled 'ABBA - When All is Said and Done' which is a Drama/Documentary which focuses mainly on the lives of the two female singers Agnetha and Frida. It was quite emotional at times and certainly draws one's attention to what they had to endure during their heyday, and after. It was certainly was worth viewing and lasted in excess of two hours (including ads which of course were skipped :D).
Flickr-pics

"You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Thu Jan 25, 2018 22:22

I have just finished watching a four-part series on BBC2 - 'A House Through Time' - which traces the people who had lived in a house in Liverpool - 62 Falkner Street - since it was built in 1840 through to the present day. I found this a very interesting series, probably because of my roots, but I am sure if you haven't seen it and are interested in such historical documentaries you will find it as interesting as I did. It is certainly worth a watch.

The first episode is still available for the next 10 days on iPlayer HERE and the subsequent ones for up to 29 days, as of today.

This is part of the text accompanying the above link:
This series tells a story of Britain spanning a period of seismic social change from the 1840s to the present day, through the prism of a single-terraced house in Liverpool. Presenter David Olusoga delves into 180 years of history, searching through city archives, scouring records and tracking down living descendants to tell the untold stories of the people who lived there, and reveal a unique insight into the making of modern Britain.
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Fri Feb 02, 2018 00:05

Last week I watched a program on National Geographic in the series 'Seconds from Disaster' which was about the crash of one of the first jet airliners - that of a BOAC Comet - which crashed in the Mediterranean near the Italian island of Elba in January 1954. On that plane was a respected Australian war correspondent Chester Wilmot who worked for both the BBC and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation - who, along with all the other 34 people on board, was killed.

This prompted me to look up more about him and I discovered that he wrote just two books - Tobruk 1941 and The Struggle For Europe - both about WW2. The former book is available in digital format but the latter is not. However, I found a bookseller on Amazon who was selling a 'good' used hardback copy of the original printed edition from 1952 for just £3 plus delivery so I decided to invest. This arrived today and is as described in 'good condition' considering it is 65 years old.

However, I also found neatly folded up between the pages of the book, a newspaper cutting from August 30th 1952 (which I determined from the text in the cutting as there is no other date on it) reporting on the 10th Anniversary of the WW2 'Battle of Alam Halfa' which took place near El Alamein between the Allied troops of the English, led by Montgomery, and New Zealand and the German forces under Rommel with the Italians and which resulted in victory for the Allied forces. (image below) I have no idea which newspaper the cutting is from.

The book itself is some 750 pages in length and is a comprehensive history of the entire war in Europe. I now just have to find the time to read it. The book is also available as a reprint from 1997 on Amazon, but I am happy with my copy from the original printing.

And all this from just watching an episode of 'Seconds from Disaster' :D

Struggle For Europe.jpg

Battle for Alam Halfa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 20:30

I have just been looking through the documentaries available on BBC iPlayer on my iPad and have come across the 1961 documentary "Elsa the Lioness" in which David Attenborough visits Joy and George Adamson in Kenya and meets Elsa the lioness and her cubs shortly before Elsa's death. The program can only be streamed but is available for over a year. I have added it to my 'To Watch' list.
Flickr-pics

Dave
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 00:09

I watched he last episodes of 'Hard Sun' and 'McMafia' over the weekend and enjoyed both series. Hopefully both will be back in the future as the endings seemed to suggest it was a possibility. Hard Sun's closing scenes saw the catastrophe of the title seemingly arrive only for the ticking doomsday clock to appear on screen with four more years still counting down. McMafia started with Alex Godman, played by James Norten, as the hero/good guy of the series and ended up with him as bad as the villains he was trying to bring down. There's plenty of scope for him to return in a second series so we can see what becomes him.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

funkychick
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: female

Postby funkychick » Tue Feb 13, 2018 06:50

Loved a House Through Time B.B. and what a great intelligent presenter so interesting I hope they do another
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:33

Yes, it was good FC.

I'm currently enjoying the 'three-consecutive-night' drama on ITV - 'Trauma' and the second series of the BBC4 Scandinavian drama 'Modus' which started on Saturday evening and which is about a state visit of the US President (a woman) to Sweden who disappears from her room during the night, despite the security. Although subtitled, there is a lot of English spoken for obvious reason.
Flickr-pics

Return to “Entertainment”