The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Cinema and films

Discuss Cinema, Theatre, Shows, Music, Games and all forms of media and entertainment here.
funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Cinema and films

Post by funkychick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:26 pm

I thought it might be nice to have a thread about the films at our local cinema during the year
I recently went to see Hacksaw ridge anyone else watched it and what did you think?
Very powerful true story , you do need to be able to stomach very gory war scenes but an interesting story never the less
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Cinema and films

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm not a big cinema-goer FC, and can't remember when I last went - it was the Marina but must have been nearly 10 years ago. I've only ever been to the Hollywood (or whatever it's called now) once and that was to see 'Titanic' in 1997. I tend to catch them later when they reach the small screen or, if I don't want to wait that long as will be the case in about another week or so with 'Inferno' - on Blu-ray Disc which I'll receive from Amazon on release day. :D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Well basically films can be viewed at home or the cinema to make a comment BB
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:11 pm

I've noticed that lately there seem to be an increase in films made - mainly in Hollywood of course - that are of the horror genre. And not just scary, but gory with blood everywhere. I'm sure that the Hammer Horror movies in the 1970's made more use of plots than actual gore. Must admit, generally I prefer a good wholesome comedy.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 pm

I m totally happy with gore if it's truful and in context as this one was Unfortunately a war is going to be gory but it had a very appealing story behind it about a conscience objecter a peaceful man who just wanted to help his country A true story about a man who died about 10 years ago

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:40 pm

funkychick wrote:Well basically films can be viewed at home or the cinema to make a comment BB
Very true, FC. I think one of the latest film I watched was 'Independence Day - Resurgence' the late sequel to ...... yes, you guessed it. :D

Amansin, I agree with you about some of those films that are today's horror movies. I have a DVD boxed set of many of the 60's and 70's Hammer horror films.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:41 pm

I enjoy viewing films with no special effects, it usually means there is a bit of drama and there are proper actors as opposed to those actors who play the same character in every film they are in but simply have a different character name.
It's grim up North...

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Oh yes I agree hate all the special effects if that's all the film is about I like a real story preferably or something that could be real Next one I m going to is Lion that looks good but not for a few weeks

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:10 am

I don't mind the special effects in movies, if you are looking for a bit of escapism I think some of the crashes, explosions and shootings are just what the doctor ordered. I am not a cinema goer but I do enjoy watching movies on TV, especially some of the old black/white pictures with usually very corny and comical special effects if any.
My Flickr pictures look here

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 am

Mel wrote:I don't mind the special effects in movies, if you are looking for a bit of escapism I think some of the crashes, explosions and shootings are just what the doctor ordered. I am not a cinema goer but I do enjoy watching movies on TV, especially some of the old black/white pictures with usually very corny and comical special effects if any.
I think there's certainly a place for special effects and exciting to watch the odd film with lots of effects but it seems nowadays that there are a lot more films which rely on special effects totally rather than the acting to attract viewers. I was watching a film at the cinema a few weeks back and at a tense part of the film a door opened suddenly with an almighty bass sound designed to make everybody jump, previously when that same door opened it didn't make that noise at all and when I got home I couldn't make any of my doors make that noise either. I much prefer a film to have natural sound effects, I don't mind if it is loud i just don't like big effects for big effect's sake.
It's grim up North...

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:05 pm

I just watched a film recorded about a week ago, called Disconnect. It's all about how the destructive power of the internet can intertwine us all; it was a bit like Love Actually but with a dark serious message. Makes one think a bit, which I feel is important sometimes.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:25 pm

I really like going to the cinema The Marina is excellent for a fiver I m lucky that I ve got a cinema buddy who likes the same sort of films as myself although I have no problem going alone if it's something I really want to see
One film last year I was really looking forward to and absolutely hated was Mr Turner I couldn't wait for it to finish

FrankIe

Post by FrankIe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by FrankIe on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Dpeanut
Male/Female: Female

Post by Dpeanut » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:11 am

I love to watch a true story film .....most recently I watched lion. I knew roughly what it was about but wow ,it really was great and when you realise it actually happened ......had me in floods of tears but I'm sloppy like that. The story is amazing , stick with the subtitles they soon go . Enjoy!
Yesterday was the past , tomorrow is the future, today is the present ....look after your gift :D

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:33 am

I m really looking forward to Lion Dpeanut I m booked for March7th at Marina I ve have heard very good reports about it I like subtitled films (as long as I m sat where I can read them)
I ll take my tissues