The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Cinema and films

Discuss Cinema, Theatre, Shows, Music, Games and all forms of media and entertainment here.
funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Cinema and films

Post by funkychick » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:33 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I m really looking forward to Lion Dpeanut I m booked for March7th at Marina I ve have heard very good reports about it I like subtitled films (as long as I m sat where I can read them)
I ll take my tissues
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by frankiesays » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Back to the original question from FC, I watched Hacksaw Ridge last night. I didn't realise it was a true story until the end. I'm no professional critic so can only describe my opinion of it. It had a bit of a slow start until the main character joined the army. The gory special effects were the most realistic I've ever seen and really brought home the horrors of war. However, this film would have been much better if it was a British film rather than US direction courtesy of Mel Gibson because it suffered from the usual American over dramatisation of the ending where the hero was carried through a corridor between massed US troops who all gazed in disbelief and awe at the hero with choirs and angels singing in the background. I even heard myself saying aloud "for heavens sake" at that point. My review would be a good film about a really brave man but spoiled at the end by the usual ending so loved by Americans.
It's grim up North...

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Yes BB I don't disagree at all I usually avoid a lot of US films for partly those reasons but I liked the story behind it
Has anyone seen United Kingdom another lovely true story and I think very well done I was fascinated to read the last bit on the screen I won't say more in case anyone's planning on seeing it
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 pm

FC, are you sure you are agreeing with something I said as I last posted 4 days ago in this topic and you've posted several times since then. :huh:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Or possibly some thing I just said? Anyway, I've not heard of that film FC can you give us a brief intro without giving anything away?
It's grim up North...

Dpeanut
Male/Female: Female

Post by Dpeanut » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Funkychick its only for a short while the subtitles , it is easy to follow though anyways . I'd take a box of tissues lol xxxx
Yesterday was the past , tomorrow is the future, today is the present ....look after your gift :D

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:40 pm

I just watched 'Epic', recorded a few weeks ago. It's an animated adventure - not a cartoon! - and I found it quite good. I deleted 'Trainspotting' without watching it; although critically acclaimed, and I enjoyed it previously, I realised my tastes have changed and I'm not into that genre anymore. Still have 'Shrek 2' recorded to watch, probably later on today.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 pm

United Kingdom is the true story of Sir Seretse Khama and his wife Ruth He was a prince from Bechuanaland who came over here to study in the 40 s it's extremely interesting view of social history of that time in both countries with a fascinating love story intertwined

PeteB

Post by PeteB » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 am

frankiesays wrote:...I much prefer a film to have natural sound effects, I don't mind if it is loud i just don't like big effects for big effect's sake.
Reminds me of a movie (forget which one now) I saw many years ago when Hybrid cars had only recently become available and were very rare. One featured incidentally in the film, and instead of moving away silently, they'd dubbed the sound of an ordinary manual car starting up and moving off!