The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Films

Discuss Cinema, Theatre, Shows, Music, Games and all forms of media and entertainment here.
frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Films

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I would certainly concur with that Trigger, I had exactly the same sentiments.
It's grim up North...

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:40 am

I enjoyed it very much too.I do the same as Trigger with films ,very rarely watch a film through at one sitting.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:46 am

I would prefer to watch a film in one sitting, even if it is three hours. One thing that annoys me is when the TV splits what would once have been shown as a two hour drama into two one-hour parts over two nights as the BBC does with 'Silent Witness' on a Monday & Tuesday. Worse still is ITV who do it and show them a week apart which they did with the last two series of 'Lewis'. Thankfully they are not doing it with the new series of 'Endeavour', which incidentally, I am finding better than the first two series were.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:35 am

I decided to watch "The Abyss" (1989) last night as I found it while flicking through the channels and had enjoyed it the first time round. I started watching about 9:30 and around 11 decided to see how much was left and it was due to finish at 12:30! So I recorded the rest for later today. I'm so used to watching films that I have recorded previously and then FF>> through the adverts.

I wonder how the TV companies check the viewing figures nowadays, it used to be by data from the power companies monitoring the surge as people put the kettle on during the adverts or when it finished but that must all be out of the window nowadays?
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:49 pm

In another topic (Memorable places) I referred to the Monasterio de Piedra.

A couple years after I visited there in the 1980's I remember watching a film on TV set mainly in Spain which had a waterfall scene which reminded me of that place. When the credits went up at the end it mentioned that that part of the film had actually been filmed there. I couldn't remember the name of the film and last week I decided to do a scene search on IMDB and was able to determine that the film was called 'The Hit' and starred John Hurt and Terence Stamp and was filmed in 1984.

It would seem that this film was never released on DVD in this country, despite being credited as a UK film. However, I searched on Amazon and managed to find the film available on DVD and Blu-ray in an Italian language version but it also had an option for English language so I decided to buy the only new copy on Blu-ray that was available from the Italian supplier and fulfilled by Amazon so was shipped from the UK - the other copies would have been shipped from Italy. It arrived on Thursday and I watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it - was well worth watching again as I had forgotten what the film was about.

The film starts 10 years before the main story when the character played by Terence Stamp gives evidence in a London trial which sees a number of men set to prison for 10 years.

Ten years later the character played by John Hurt,with an accomplice, has been sent to Spain to kidnap Terence Stamp, who obviously fled out there, and take him to Paris to be confronted by the leader of the group that had been imprisoned ten years earlier. What follows is the progress of that journey and all that happens.

Incidentally, the leader of the imprisoned group was played by Lenny Peters - which you may recall was half of the singing duo 'Peters & Lee'.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by kerch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:46 am

My DVD of the film Mrs Lowery & son arrived yesterday, watched it last night . I ended up feeling sorry for the" son" to have such a selfish mother & still come out on top in the end .Very good acting from Vanessa Redgrave and Timothy Spall. I also have the Turner film that was good too .Nice to see him doing Something different after Harry Potter . :hat:

Anjalli
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Female

Post by Anjalli » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:04 pm

Watched 'Bullet Train' and enjoyed it, watched it on an IMAX screen (first time as the regular screens were sold out). It is a way bigger screen and the sound is something else, actually for this kind of movie it is better, the bullet train just zooms by, it seems it's gone in a flast and the sound is awesome. Brad Pitt is good, not the typical well dressed person but just the opposite. Won't say anymore in case some one wants to watch it. :)

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:58 am

I've only just seen your post above, Anjalli. I obviously missed it at the time you posted it as I wasn't on the forum much around that date. The film looks worth watching. I have just looked on Amazon and see it has just been released a week ago here on DVD/Blu-Ray and it's also available in 4K, so I might just treat myself to the 4K version. Obviously it won't be quite the same as watching it in the environment you did, but probably the next best. :D

It's quite a few years since I last watched a film in the cinema. Not the last one I saw on the big screen, but the last 'memorable' one that sticks in my mind was 'Titanic' which I think was 1997/8. :shock:. These days I tend to wait until they are out on DVD/Blu-Ray. I recently bought a Blu-Ray of a film I haven't seen for many years, and which I first saw in the cinema when it was released in about 1970 - "Walkabout"- starring Jenny Agutter, set in the Australian outback. I think she was about 18 when the film was made and today she plays a somewhat elderly nun in the BBC TV series here "Call the Midwife".

Thanks for resurrecting this topic which seems to have been forgotten for nearly three years. Sorry I missed your post at the time.

Anjalli
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Female

Post by Anjalli » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:03 am

You are quite welcome John, I am pretty sure you will enjoy the movie. I go ever so often to watch the movies on the big screen but most of the time I watch them from YouTube.