The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

This Day in History

Have fun, but keep it reasonably clean, remember this is a moderated, family-oriented site!
Forum rules
Where appropriate, some of the word games in this forum have an explanation on how the game works and these are given in the first post on Page 1 of that topic. If you are unsure how the game works then please read these in advance of posting at these links: WORD ASSOCIATION GAME and Add (+) or Take (-) a Letter Game
Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Male/Female: Male

Re: This Day in History

Post by Dave » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

November 2nd. South Africa broke English hearts with a ruthless display of power rugby to seize their third Rugby World Cup in devastating fashion.
Twenty-two points from the boot of nerveless fly-half Handre Pollard and second-half tries from wingers Makazole Mapimpi and Cheslin Kolbe ground England into the Yokohama dirt on a horrible night for Eddie Jones's men.

If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:25 pm

November 3rd. Thirty-three people are injured, four critically, when a FlixBus overturns at an exit near Amiens, France.

See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19 pm

November 4th. Nine US citizens, three women and six children, have been killed in an attack by suspected drug cartel gunmen in northern Mexico.
The victims are members of the LeBaron family, linked to a breakaway Mormon community that settled in Mexico several decades ago.

If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:35 pm

November 5th. An Irish judge sentences two 15-year-old boys to jail for the 2018 murder of 14 year old Ana Kriegel in suburban Dublin. The boys were 13-years-old at the time they murdered her and are the youngest people convicted of murder in Ireland. They have not been named due to their age. One boy was sentenced to life in detention to be reviewed after twelve years—he was also sentenced to eight years for sexual assault to run concurrently with the murder sentence. The other boy was sentenced to 15 years in prison, but his sentence will be reviewed after eight years instead of twelve. Her parents said that "justice has been served for Ana", but about the sentences that "forever is not long enough"

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:18 pm

November 6th. A knifeman has injured four foreign tourists and four locals in an attack in the Jordanian city of Jerash.
Three Mexicans and a Swiss national were among the wounded. One of the Mexicans and a Jordanian tour guide were hurt seriously, the health minister said.
The suspected attacker was arrested nearby by police.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:50 pm

November 7th. A Cirrus SR22 crashes into a house in Upland, California, killing the pilot.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:06 pm

November 8th. Thousands of egg-shaped balls of ice have covered a beach in Finland, the result of a rare weather phenomenon.
Amateur photographer Risto Mattila was among those who came across the "ice eggs" on Hailuoto Island in the Gulf of Bothnia between Finland and Sweden.
Experts say it is caused by a rare process in which small pieces of ice are rolled over by wind and water.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:07 pm

November 9th. Half a million people are evacuated from the Bangladesh coastal area in preparation for the landfall of Cyclone Bulbul.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:43 pm

November 10th. Eight people were killed when a bomb exploded on Sunday in an area of northeast Syria controlled by Turkish troops and their Syrian rebel allies.
Turkey‘s defence ministry said the bombing, which it blamed on Kurdish fighters, took place southeast of the Syrian town of Tal Abyad, which Turkey captured in a military offensive last month.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:27 pm

November 11th. The wreckage of United States Navy submarine USS Grayback (SS-208), which disappeared with its 80 crew members in the East China Sea on February 27, 1944 during World War II, is discovered on the sea floor using new drone technology.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:47 pm

November 12th. When the flood water first seeped into Pam Webb’s home, it did not, as might be expected, pour in through the door.
“There was a gurgling sound from the living room,” the 49-year-old says. “Then water started bubbling up from under the floor. It was leaking in at the skirting boards. It hadn’t even got to the front door outside yet.”
In such a situation – at 1am, with the lights and electricity already down – her mind momentarily went blank.
“I threw a towel down,” she grimaces today. “A towel! What good did I think that would do? It was up to my knees within half an hour. There were rescue boats outside!”
Thus, thick and fast, come tales from the flooding of Fishlake – the South Yorkshire village which was submerged after the River Don burst its banks last Friday and which remains much underwater today.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:20 am

The above YouTube video doesn't work, Dave. I've also tried the embedded link directly on the YT website.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:15 am

boatbuilder wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:20 am
The above YouTube video doesn't work, Dave. I've also tried the embedded link directly on the YT website.
I always check that the video and the link to the news item works once they've been submitted, boatbuilder, and both were okay. I've checked the video on my laptop and tablet this morning and it works on both of them. I've also copied and pasted the video link into YouTube and the video works on there as well.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:43 pm

:think: That's strange. It now works OK for me, but it certainly didn't at 1-20 this morning, Dave. Maybe there was something amiss at YouTube. I wish I had taken a screenshot of the page. The page opened and the video box appeared with a message in it indicating some sort of error - and that also showed when I had first tried to play the video in the topic. :?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:51 pm

November 13th. A bus collision with a truck near Nitra kills 13 people and leaves at least 17 wounded. The disaster is the deadliest in Slovakia in a decade.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:46 pm

November 14th. Italy has declared a state of emergency in Venice after the Italian city was engulfed by 1.87m (6ft) high water levels, flooding its historic basilica and cutting power to homes.
More than 80% of the city, a UNESCO world heritage site, was under water when tides were at their highest.
Italy's Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte described the flooding as "a blow to the heart of our country".