The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Where / What / Who is it? "Quiz"

Have fun, but keep it reasonably clean, remember this is a moderated, family-oriented site!
Forum rules
Where appropriate, some of the word games in this forum have an explanation on how the game works and these are given in the first post on Page 1 of that topic. If you are unsure how the game works then please read these in advance of posting at these links: WORD ASSOCIATION GAME and Add (+) or Take (-) a Letter Game
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Where / What / Who is it? "Quiz"

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Here's my answers - in this instance WITHOUT Mr G's help. :D

I note you slipped up on number 6 with the 'a' at the beginning. :lol:
Dave's 1.JPG
Dave's 1.JPG (42.18 KiB) Viewed 14 times
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:34 pm

The 'a' was a mistake, boatbuilder, the 'M' was as I copied it from a long list of classic book titles, not May. I have a few new ideas, and one old one, for another day.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:51 pm

How many of them have you read, Dave? I have only read Robinson Crusoe and that was when I was at school. Never been into reading the 'classics' much.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Here is one with films and a member of the cast.
John's 1.JPG
John's 1.JPG (30.98 KiB) Viewed 57 times

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm

boatbuilder wrote:How many of them have you read, Dave? .
None of them, boatbuilder, I find that the old style of writing makes a book hard going. I've always enjoyed watching Charles Dickens films or TV series, but when I've tried to read some I get bogged down in them. As a child, and I'm sure you'll remember, there used to be serialisations of classic books on television Sunday afternoons. Treasure Island and Kidnapped I remember, John Laurie from Dad's Army was in Kidnapped. I also remember, my memory plays tricks on me sometimes, both Patrick Troughton (Dr Who) and Anthony Newley, playing Quilp in The Old Curiosity Shop. Then there was James Hayter as Mr Pickwick in Pickwick Papers, I think that may have been a film, though. The Beezer or The Topper
comics, I'm not sure which, used to have books serialised on the back page that I read, Prester John by John Buchan is one that comes to mind. Nowadays the majority of books revolve around detective stories, which I enjoy as much as anyone, but a few stories/plots like they used to write would be a nice change.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 pm

It sounds like we have similar thoughts on the classics, Dave. Too much descriptive text which helps you forget something you read 20 minutes earlier which only happened 2 minutes earlier in the story, if you know what I mean. :D One other book I remember we had to read at school was another by John Buchan - 'The 39 Steps'. As I've probably mentioned before, the majority of books I read these days are also detective ones. I used to like reading the 'Frost' books by R D Wingfield and the 'Wycliffe' books by W J Burley. Oh well, this is all off-topic so better not go on any more.

Did you spot my puzzle immediately after my question post which you just answered?

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:18 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Did you spot my puzzle immediately after my question post which you just answered?
That will be one for tomorrow, boatbuilder, I think I'll put aside an hour or two and see how I get on. :)

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:22 pm

It shouldn't be too difficult Dave - if you can get one or the other of each pair the other half should be reasonably straightforward. Says he! :lol:

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:51 am

A bit earlier than I thought, here are the film and actor answers.
Films.JPG
Films.JPG (42.48 KiB) Viewed 47 times

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:06 am

Well done, all correct Dave. I hope you weren’t up all night working them out. :lol:

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:18 am

I was going to look at it today, boatbuilder, but I thought I'd have a quick look and one thing led to another, if I fall asleep today I'll blame you. :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Dave wrote:I was going to look at it today, boatbuilder, but I thought I'd have a quick look and one thing led to another, if I fall asleep today I'll blame you. :D
:roll: Oh dear! I see I'm going to have to add an additional clause to the forum's 'T's & C's' stating that we cannot be held liable for certain conditions brought about by the use of the forum at unusual hours. :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:40 pm

Here is another 'missing vowels' puzzle. This one is 'No 1 UK Singles of the 1960's'. How many can you get without using the internet?

There are some artists where the name begins with 'The', e.g. 'The Beatles'. However, I have omitted the 'th' from the beginning just to make it more interesting and, for information, there were 187 different recordings that made it to the number one spot during that decade (Jan 1st 1960 - December 31st 1969).

The puzzle is open to anybody but to give all a chance, rather than post your answers, please send them to me in a PM by 6-pm on Tuesday evening (14th Nov). I will then post the results along with copies of the PM's (if any) to show the times they were submitted. Remember though, it is just for fun. :D Feel free to post that you are 'having a go' at it beforehand.
No 1's of the 60's.JPG
No 1's of the 60's.JPG (38.51 KiB) Viewed 33 times

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:09 am

I've got 2/3/6/9/10/12, boatbuilder, number six jumped right off the page at me and yet the shorter ones I'm having to study. I haven't cheated though...............yet. :D

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:20 am

Dave wrote:.... number six jumped right off the page at me and yet the shorter ones I'm having to study.
Well don't try suing ME if any of the clues hit you somewhere they shouldn't Dave, like your finger. :lol:
Dave wrote:I haven't cheated though...............yet. :D
I should hope not. :shock:

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 am

boatbuilder wrote:Well don't try suing ME if any of the clues hit you somewhere they shouldn't Dave, like your finger. :lol:
Don't worry I'm wearing a flak jacket and crash helmet. :D

I've added number eleven to the list, boatbuilder, I'm trying very hard not to cheat but Google keeps whispering in my ear. :D