SportsTalk

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: SportsTalk

Postby boatbuilder » Sat Oct 28, 2017 17:22

I have just been watching the final of the Under 17's World Cup in India and what an entertaining match it has been which England have won 5-2 against Spain with a great performance, having trailed 2-0 in the first half before pulling a goal back just before half-time.

BRILLIANT! Well Done! :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge:

With England having now won both the Under 17 and Under 20 World Cups this year, could this be a good omen for the future of English football?
Flickr-pics

A - S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

"You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget"

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mel » Sat Oct 28, 2017 18:50

I watched the second half Boatbuilder and yes it was a great performance by the young lads; let us hope some of the senior players watch this game and take some hints of how to play ;) ;) :)

Well done again to the Under 17's :StGeorge: :StGeorge: dancer1
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Sat Oct 28, 2017 21:34

I think it worth mentioning about the support the tournament received in India with crowds of around 80,000 for some of the games. I doubt they would have received such crowds here. Well done to those supporters in India!

Just for interest, below is how all the England youth teams have fared in the major tournaments they have been in this year - Rather impressive. :D

As a footnote, I am going to see Norwich play Wolves on Tuesday evening with my 17-year-old grandson. I acquired two free tickets worth £25 each, courtesy of Sky Sports, so I hope the game is as good as this one was. :upsidedown:
World Cup.JPG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41788830
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flickr-pics

"You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget"

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Mon Nov 06, 2017 23:53

Flickr-pics

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Mel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 06:36

Love the look on the goalkeeper's face when he realises the ball is not there :D
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Wed Nov 08, 2017 01:57

I've just been looking at the latest update to the England football squad for the friendlies this next week against Germany and Brazil and have come to the conclusion that England are preparing to play defensive matches (I hope I'm wrong) with only three of the entire squad being classed as 'forwards' by the BBC Sports website. Apart from the goalkeeper, football match line-ups used to consist mainly of two full-backs (defenders), three midfielders and five forwards. Now it would seem that judging by the number of players selected for these matches in those positions - see image - the line-ups of today are now the exact reverse of what they used to be.
What has happened to football? :think:
EFT.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Thu Nov 09, 2017 22:14

With more players pulling out of the squad for this weekend's England football matches (Jack Butland being the latest), maybe it would be a good idea for Gareth Southgate to field a team made up from the Under 20's and Under 17's teams that won their respective World Cups this year. I bet they'd give it a good go - maybe even better than the senior squad.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41854505
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Mon Nov 13, 2017 22:35

I watched the second leg of the Italy v Sweden World Cup Qualifier play-offs tonight which saw Italy fail to qualify for Russia 2018. Hardly surprising really, when one of their players was Immobile for the entire game. :D
italy v sweden.JPG
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Wed Jan 10, 2018 13:06

I was sad to read today that Tommy Lawrence, who was the Liverpool goalkeeper throughout the 1960's when I regularly went to the games (you could afford to then), has passed away. RIP Tommy.

There is an interesting video clip in the following link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42634388
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 21:54

In the 4th minute of the 4 minutes of added-on time at the end of the second half in the Chelsea v Norwich replay in the FA Cup 3rd Round, Norwich have equalised (1-1) to take the match to extra time. :D
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Wed Jan 17, 2018 22:47

Unfortunately the match ended with a penalty shoot-out which Norwich lost 5-3 (they never took their final penalty). However Chelsea received two red cards during extra time so finished the match with just nine players on te pitch.
Flickr-pics

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby boatbuilder » Sun Feb 11, 2018 19:33

I had to smile when I read this headline on BBC Sport after Manchester United were beaten 1-0 today at Newcastle United.

Jose Mourinho Man Utd boss says team could have gone 10 hours without scoring

Senhor Mourinho is not my favourite manager but it's nice to see him being honest for once instead of moaning. 'Howay the lads!' :D
Flickr-pics

Dave
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 23:47

Although I read this article as a result of my interest in Speedway, which goes back to the 60's, I think it would be of interest to others. Sport doesn't revolve around Football and the multi-million pound stadiums, I have many happy memories of Hackney Stadium, where the Olympic Stadium now stands, and the Hackney Hawks rode. I also visited tracks up and down the country, including Coventry, and met and talked to supporters whose love for their team and stadium matched any football fan's.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Return to “Sports”