The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

FIFA Football World Cup 2018 (Russia)

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: FIFA Football World Cup 2018 (Russia)

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:57 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

I watched the Russia v Egypt game tonight and like last night's England game the referee seemed to turn a blind eye to several blatant fouls in the penalty area. I wonder if this is because they don't want to bother consulting the VAR system?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 am

boatbuilder wrote: I wonder if this is because they don't want to bother consulting the VAR system?
I don't know all the rules of VAR but shouldn't the Video Assisted Referees be consulting the referee on the pitch to what is going on in the penalty areas? :StGeorge:
My Flickr pictures look here

Abu Nuwas

Post by Abu Nuwas » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 am

Harry Kane was mauled twice - and I would say as much if I were not English.... I think. There have been other such obvious incidents, but worse, rather minor offences have been pulled up. Teething problems, I suppose.
Consistency is the hob-goblin of the small mind

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:20 am

Neymar of Brazil done a blatant piece of play acting yesterday to get his side a penalty...which luckily was spotted by VAR and denied. But what really annoys me is not just the play acting and cheating by these so called 'sportsmen' but the lack of condemnation by the so called experts in the studio. If a player uses an exceptional bit of skill with the ball the pundits all say as one "Any young lad watching, that is how you do it, that is what you need to practise". But if a player blatantly cheats, they are never condemned by those same pundits so youngsters will think that it is fine to play act and cheat, that it is all part of the game.

And it could all so easily be stamped out, especially with VAR. Start giving these RADA trained players a red card (not an Equity one ;) ), managers and trainers will soon stop their players cheating once a few have been sent to the dressing room!! :StGeorge:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:51 pm

It was good to see the Egyptian referee in today's England - Panama game clamping down on the infringements inside the penalty area that seem to have gone unpunished in many of the previous games in the competition. Full marks to the ref. :StGeorge:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 am

Mel wrote:But what really annoys me is not just the play acting and cheating by these so called 'sportsmen' but the lack of condemnation by the so called experts in the studio.
I think the football pundits on the BBC must visit MyLowestoft.com and take notice of what we say, as they actually condemned the cheating practices of some of the footballers after the game between Portugal and Iran last night :StGeorge:

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:33 pm

Gareth Southgate contemplates six England changes for Belgium but insists victory is imperative.

I listened to 'Talksport' this morning and there are reasons for and against having a change. As the result isn't vital to our progression it's a chance to rest players and give other squad members a much needed run out, the problem there is possibly stopping the 'momentum' as they put it. Field the same team and, hopefully, keep the winning run going but risk an injury to one our best players. I'll make my mind up after the match, hindsight is a wonderful thing. :D
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:38 pm

I think he has got to give some of the other players a chance and this is the opportunity. If he doesn't, what's the point of taking them. They need the opportunity to prove THEY can adapt if called upon as a 'true substitute' in the event of an injury to another player. As far as momentum is concerned, these are professional footballers being paid thousands of pounds a week, if not hundreds of thousands, and if they aren't able to adapt then they shouldn't be in the squad. Momentum varies from game to game depending on the mode of play of the opposition.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I notice there hasn't been any trouble in Russia after all the bad press about it. I'm sure someone's already said it, but did anyone really believe that Putin would let a bunch of football hooligans ruin Russia's World Cup? This is a man who has to stand up to some of the strongest countries in the world, I'm sure he's going to sit back and let a bunch of thugs walk all over him. They are all probably in a salt mine somewhere, never to be seen again and Putin has already forgotten about them.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:02 pm

What a surprise to see Germany, the holders, exit the World Cup in the Group stages, let alone finish bottom of their group. :StGeorge:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:23 am

Two very good games yesterday saw the exit of Argentina and Portugal. There have certainly been some cracking goals this World Cup so far. Looking forward to Tuesday when hopefully we can progress a bit further :StGeorge:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:00 am

Quote from today's 'Times'
England must beat Colombia on Tuesday evening to take their place in the last eight but they will have to overcome the curse of ITV to do so. England's World Cup win record on the channel in the past 20 years is only 9%, compared to 72% on the BBC.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:11 am

Another exciting game last night; this time it was Belgium versus Japan. A very sporting game with some good goals and an exciting climax with the Belgium team scoring a winner after being two goals down with the last kick of the game. Belgium meet Brazil in the next round, that hopefully will be a good game with both teams having some very talented players. Neymar for Brazil made himself look pathetic yesterday in Brazil's game against Mexico with his play acting, it certainly distracts from his exceptional skill as a footballer.

Big game for England today against Colombia... :StGeorge:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:54 pm

That WAS close! 4-3 on Penalties. :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge:

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 pm

boatbuilder wrote:That WAS close! 4-3 on Penalties. :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge: :StGeorge:

Did I miss something, why didn't Vardy take a penalty, surely he was an obvious choice?

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Don't ask me, I wasn't the one who nominated the takers. :no: