The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Football European Championships 2016

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Football European Championships 2016

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:12 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Yes, it was a disappointing result Mel, despite the outcome of qualifying for the knock-outs. I think Slovakia were content to defend as they did with four or five across the back making it like a brick wall, and were just hoping for a breakaway situation for them that would produce the one goal they needed themselves to qualify. Thankfully it never succeeded.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Although Northern Ireland lost 1-0 to Germany other results have seen them through to the next round, so well done them. Spain deservedly lost tonight to a very good Croatia team, although if England doesn't win the tournament I hope Spain does (I have got them in a sweepstake :lol: )
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:06 pm

Image Image Image Image

Congratulations to all the GB & Ireland teams in the competition in qualifying for the knock-out stages.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 pm

I watched two of the matches today. Wales v N. Ireland and Croatia v Portugal and both were very poor. I expected the Wales game to be very close and not much of a spectacular but I was hoping for a good exciting game between Croatia and Portugal but was disappointed. Teams seem to be more frightened of losing than playing attacking football to try and win the game.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:44 pm

I watched the second half, extra time and penalties of the Switzerland-Poland game (only because one of my grandsons had come round) and it was disappointing that the Swiss player put his penalty so wide in the shoot-out. Although I wanted Switzerland to win I would have preferred them to have been beaten by a decent save by the goalkeeper than by their own very poor penalty. Apart from that, what I saw of the match wasn't a bad game.

Also watched the Wales-NI game which as you say was rather poor. I get annoyed the way they (the commentators, etc.) glorify Gareth Bale. The goal was (IMO) just bad luck by the NI defender.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:03 am

I'm afraid I'm not a big football fan - more important things to do with my time. If England make the final (don't laugh!) I'll watch of course, but aside from that it's a bit of a non-starter with me.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:56 pm

amansin wrote: If England make the final (don't laugh!) I'll watch of course, but aside from that it's a bit of a non-starter with me.
Let us hope they make the final Amansin so you get to watch at least one of the games ;) Like you there are some sports I am not all that keen on but if the Brits or the English get to a final I will try and watch it if I can.

France and Germany both looked impressive in their respective games today, they both seemed to have stepped up a gear. Hopefully England can step up a gear also and put on a good display tomorrow against Iceland and get us through to the next round :StGeorge:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:50 pm

What a pathetic performance by England tonight. I wonder what the odds are for Iceland to win the tournament?

Lots of sloppy play by the England players.

Good luck to them as they had more idea in this game than the England side. Bye-bye Roy Hodgson!! (and maybe one or two of the players)

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm almost lost for words to describe the abysmal performance of out national team, is any one amongst us going to apply for the vacant coaches job?
If so how would you try to improve our standard of play after being frozen out by Iceland.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:37 pm

Pay by results. Players and Manager. BGFlag :D
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:59 pm

I noticed in last night's match the negativity in many of the England players. One instance in particular that stood out for me was when one of the defenders (not sure which one) had the ball in the England half in the centre of the pitch just outside of the 'D' of the penalty area and he passed the ball forward to a player towards the right wing. That player then passed the ball back to where it came from (the defender) and then the defender passed the ball forward centrally to another player before THAT player passed it back to the same defender who then passed it forward to a player on the left wing who decided to do something different with it (not pass it back to the defender it came from) - at last! Not that anything worthwhile happened after that. Neither of the two players who passed the ball back to the same defender was coming under any pressure from an Iceland player so why didn't they make an effort to go forward rather than backwards? That to me just summed up the England performance on the night - unimaginative. I think the ball control across the team was also very poor. I suppose I could go on and pick out numerous other faults but maybe someone else would like to add something.

SB, I read somewhere recently that the England players don't take any 'pay' for appearing for their country and that what they would be payed for their appearances is donated to charitable sources.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:13 pm

boatbuilder wrote:....but maybe someone else would like to add something.

:boo: :boo: :boo: headbanger1 headbanger1 headbanger1 :boo: :boo: :boo:

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:53 pm

There was no speed in the players movement ,too much passing backwards, passing a ball behind a player instead of in front so that he is on the move ass he collects the ball, too many free kicks over hit which go out of play, players not getting control off the ball when it is played to him, No fight or pashion until it is too late to do much about it, too much falling down at the slightest touch, couldn't string more than two passes together & their short passes usually left them flat footed & no instant control. I could go on.

This was not the first time, it was the same in the previous two games and also in previous tournaments. I have to say that manager or coach must take his share of the blame not more.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:57 pm

Just finished watching the Portugal v Poland match, not a great game, the first half was good but the second half and extra time (it finished 1-1 after 90minutes) was slow and hesitant. Portugal won the game on penalties 5-4 and once more I was supporting the side that lost :cry:

A young Polish woman I know commiserated with me after England lost their game against Iceland so I switched my allegiance to Poland for this game...it looks like I will have to commiserate with her now...every cloud has a silver lining I suppose ;) :shock: :lol:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:48 pm

The Wales v Portugal game was a bit of an anti-climax tonight, a fairly even first half but after Portugal scored two quick goals at the beginning of the second half it seemed to knock the wind out of Wales players sails. Not a lot of excitement for the neutral but certainly no embarrassment for the Wales team they have had a super tournament, so well done them.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:29 pm

Mel wrote: Wales team they have had a super tournament, so well done them.
Wales and Iceland were the two top teams of the tournament in my opinion. They played with pride and passion and as a team not self important individuals and proved that you don't have to have a team of multi millionaire prima donnas to do well.

I was rooting for France in the final but I must be the world's worst pundit as I don't think I called a correct result in the knockout stages.

Roll on the Olympics BGFlag