The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Football Reforms - What do you think?

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Football Reforms - What do you think?

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:01 pm

The International Football Association Board (ifab) is considering a number of reforms to the game, and what is probably the most controversial one is the scrapping of the 45-minute half.

There is more information on the reforms being considered HERE.

What do you think?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Re: Football Reforms - What do you think?

Post by SL-Dave » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:42 pm

In my view these are bad ideas. In theory they all sound good, well most of them anyhow, but in practise it would damage both the reputation of the game and the game itself. It has taken centuries of play to get the game to where it is today; artifacts have been found of people playing football with a goats bladder in ancient times! If we change the way the game is known around the world, it will confuse people. I could see fractions occurring in the official football bodies, with different types of football. We already have Soccer, American Football, Ozzie Rules Footie and Gaelic Football. Do we really want to fragment the game any further?

I would prefer simply if the offside rule was simplified!!

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Explain yourself SL-Dave on how the offside rule can be simplified?

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 am

So we must never change anything or improve anything for fear of confusing, gosh, grab my club as I crawl out my cave
I thought the rule about the 45 minutes half time sounded sensible and could seriously stop all the stupid time wasting as only actual playing time would count
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:23 am

The suggestion that only the captain can speak to the referee when a decision is controversial should, in my opinion, be implemented. Rugby has this rule, I'm not sure if that's League, Union or both, and the referee doesn't get swamped by players as he does in football. This would 'clean up' football's image and protect the referee more.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 am

I think trying to change too many things in one go would be wrong. Two or maybe three of the more important things to start with for the first season and then introduce others in subsequent seasons.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 am

Aussie K wrote:Explain yourself SL-Dave on how the offside rule can be simplified?
Do away with it. Simples!

In my view once we start changing things such as the length of time on pitch, we are on the way to creating a new version rather than amending an existing version. 5 a side football has different rules; this is still football, but not as we know it. I fear any major change will cause argument and risk a fracturing of the official bodies. Having said that, a small change such as only allowing the captain to speak to the referee should be acceptable, and I too think this would be a good thing.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:05 am

SL-Dave wrote:
Aussie K wrote:Explain yourself SL-Dave on how the offside rule can be simplified?
Do away with it. Simples!
Now that WOULD make the game a farce. In fact it would make it more of a changed game than all of the other proposals put together being introduced and it certainly WOULD end up as a 'new version', as you stated elsewhere in your post.

Incidentally, what is it you don't understand with the off-side rule as it stands? It's simple enough.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 am

Even I understand the off side rule I don't always see it if the angle is wrong on TV but I do know what it is and it seems straight forward enough
Do you play SL Dave
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.