The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Sports News

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Sports News

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:57 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Personally, as a Liverpool Supporter, I thought the boy had a cheek writing that letter to Jurgen Klopp. It might have been better for him to write to Ole Gunnar Solskjær asking him to get HIS team to win a few more games. :D ;)
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:23 am

Even if Liverpool lose every game and United win every game Liverpool will still top United.

Looks like he should have written that letter some time ago. :lol:
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:42 pm

A very good win for Norwich tonight in the FA Cup 5th Round, beating Tottenham away 3-2 on penalties - and a penalty to spare. Jose won't be a happy man :(

Quite an even game going by the BBC Sport stats:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:00 am

Norwich well deserved their win, but compared to the game last night Chelsea v Liverpool it was a poor game. Luckily Spurs or Norwich didn't come up against Chelsea or Liverpool; it would have been a thumping.
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:27 am

From BBC SPORT

11:01
BREAKING
Premier League postponed until 3 April
All Premier League matches have been postponed until 3 April at the earliest because of the coronavirus.

That means all professional football in England is off.

11:03
BREAKING
'This decision has not been taken lightly'
Statement from the EFL: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest.

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus.

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures.

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings.

"Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis.

"A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week.

"This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/5186794411:03

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:44 pm

Jimmy Greaves: Former England, Spurs, Chelsea & West Ham striker admitted to hospital.

Former England and Tottenham striker Jimmy Greaves is being treated in hospital for an unspecified illness.
The World Cup winner will have tests on Wednesday, according to his friend and agent Terry Baker, who added that the illness was "not coronavirus related".
The ex-Chelsea and West Ham forward suffered a severe stroke in 2015.
Baker also said the issue does not appear related to the 80-year-old's previous illness, adding: "Hopefully he won't be in hospital for too long."
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:54 pm

Peter Bonetti, the keeper nicknamed 'the Cat' who played 729 games for Chelsea and was part of England's 1966 World Cup squad, dies aged 78 after long battle with Alzheimer's.

Former Chelsea and England goalkeeper Peter Bonetti has died at the age of 78 following a long battle with Alzheimer's - with no suggestion of a link to coronavirus.
Nicknamed 'The Cat' for his lightning reflexes, Bonetti is a club legend at Stamford Bridge after playing 729 games for Chelsea - making him their second-highest appearance maker of all-time.
He also played seven times for England and was part of the 1966 World Cup-winning squad as back-up to Gordon Banks.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:02 pm

And Sterling Moss died today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52261216

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:36 am

I was just looking at the SKY TV menu on my Sky box and noticed the following:

On Eurosport they are showing 'Live' Scottish Open Snooker.

But wait for it!!! - It's actually coming from Llandudno which of course is in WALES! (Well it was the last time I went there in 2002 :? )

I had to find out WHY? and this is the reason: From MSN :D

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:12 pm

Woman fined €1,200 for causing Tour de France pile-up

A French woman has been fined €1,200 ($1,357; £1,028) for causing a huge crash at the Tour de France by waving a cardboard sign in the riders' path. The peloton was 45km (28 miles) from the end of the first stage, when her sign clipped German rider Tony Martin. He fell to the ground and caused dozens of other riders to follow suit, in one of the tournament's worst ever crashes. The woman, 31, was also ordered to pay a symbolic one euro fine to France's professional cyclist association.

The identity of the woman, who was a spectator at the elite race, was withheld after she was targeted by a torrent of online abuse, the AFP news agency reported. Video footage of the incident, which took place in June, has been shared widely online. The woman can be seen holding a sign with "granny and granddad" written in German. She is looking away from the peloton coming towards her and does not see them approach, while holding her sign too far into the road. As a result of the crash, two riders had to pull out of the Tour completely and another eight riders were treated for injuries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59582145

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:56 pm

'Historic' ground share agreement sealed for season

They may be separated by a distance of eight miles and have a friendly rivalry that dates back 135 years, but two east coast football clubs are forging "an exciting" link up. An historic ground share agreement has been sealed - with officials at Lowestoft Town FC and Gorleston FC confirming that Crown Meadow in the Suffolk town will be used as the home ground for both teams in the forthcoming 2022/23 season in the Pitching In Isthmian League North Division. After promotion, Gorleston had hoped to play their home games this season at a new ground at East Norfolk Sixth Form College but there are delays in the process with the college saying it is working with the football club to finish the development.

In February last year, construction of the new football stadium and state-of-the-art 3G pitch was given the go-ahead after a grant of £870,860 from the Premier League, the FA and the government's Football Foundation was rubber stamped. Now the two clubs will be sharing Lowestoft's Crown Meadow after agreeing a groundshare for the next 12 months, alternate home games will be hosted on Saturdays and in midweek for both teams in the season ahead.

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news ... nt-9117744

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:15 pm

Pele: Brazil football legend dies aged 82

Brazilian football legend Pele, arguably the greatest player ever, has died at the age of 82. He is credited with scoring a world record 1,281 goals in 1,363 appearances during a 21-year career, including 77 goals in 92 matches for his country. The only player to win the World Cup three times, lifting the trophy in 1958, 1962 and 1970, Pele was named Fifa's Player of the Century in 2000.

He had been suffering with kidney and prostate problems in recent years. Pele had surgery to remove a tumour from his colon in September 2021 at the Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo, after the tumour was detected in routine tests. He was readmitted to hospital in late November 2022. His daughter Kely Nascimento has kept fans updated on her father's condition with regular social media updates from hospital. On Thursday she posted a picture of what appeared to be Pele's family's hands on his body in hospital and wrote: "Everything we are is thanks to you. We love you infinitely. Rest in peace." The hospital confirmed that Pele died "due to the failure of multiple organs, a result of the progression of colon cancer associated with his previous clinical condition".

Pele's Twitter account posted: "Inspiration and love marked the journey of King Pele, who peacefully passed away today. Love, love and love, forever."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42751517

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:39 pm

Robbie Knievel, daredevil son of Evel Knievel, dies at 60

Robbie Knievel, an American stunt performer who set records with daredevil motorcycle jumps following the tire tracks of his thrill-seeking father — including at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas in 1989 and a Grand Canyon chasm a decade later — has died in Nevada, his brother said. He was 60. Robbie Knievel died early Friday at a hospice in Reno after battling pancreatic cancer, Kelly Knievel said. “Daredevils don’t live easy lives,” Kelly Knievel told The Associated Press. “He was a great daredevil. People don’t really understand how scary it is what my brother did.”

As a boy, Robbie Knievel began on his bicycle to emulate his famous father, Evel Knievel, who died in 2007 in Clearwater, Florida. But where Evel Knievel famously almost died from injuries when he crashed his Harley-Davidson during a jump over the Caesars Palace fountains in Las Vegas in 1967, Robbie completed the jump in 1989 using a specially designed Honda.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/us/robbi ... skbarhover

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:51 pm

Referee makes history by showing first ever white card during Sporting Lisbon v Benfica

A white card was shown by a referee in charge of Saturday’s clash between rivals Sporting Lisbon and Benfica. Yellow and red cards have been part and parcel of football for decades now, so the sight of a white card will look bizarre to pretty much every football fan. The new card was shown shortly before half-time of the women’s fixture in Portugal. Benfica were 3-0 up when the ref pulled the white card out and brandished it in the same way a match official would a yellow or red card. Per JOE, this is the first time the white card has ever been used.

But what does a white card mean and when is it used? According to The Sun, someone on the bench in the dugout fell ill at the end of the first half. Medical staff from both sides subsequently rushed to the person’s aid. Once the issue was dealt with, the referee then brandished the white card, much to the delight of fans inside the Estadio da Luz. Unlike yellow and red cards, which punish teams for breaking football’s rules, white cards are designed to recognise and praise clubs for fair play. Part of a new initiative in Portugal, the hope is that a white card encourages ethical values in sport. On this particular occasion, the white card appears to have been shown in the direction of the medical staff who were quick on the scene to treat to the person in the dugout.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... r-AA16DH19

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:53 pm

Asbjorn Halvorsen and Otto Harder - the story of two team-mates and a war

Hamburg train station, September 1933 - the scene for a farewell between two long-time team-mates who achieved so much together. Asbjorn Halvorsen was heading home to Norway. A midfielder with Hamburg, he had been a key part of their attack and one of German football's first foreign stars. The other man - Otto Fritz 'Tull' Harder - had been the beneficiary of Halvorsen's creativity. A clinical finisher with the strength of a removal man, Harder's goals had powered Hamburg to German titles in 1923 and 1928. Harder had rushed to the station on an impulse to thank Halvorsen for their time together and wish him well. Neither knew, at that point, the dramatically different tracks their lives were taking.

Now 34, Halvorsen was retiring from football to take up a role with the Norwegian Football Association. He would lead their national team to a bronze medal at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin - still the country's only international football honour. But his name is remembered best for what happened next. When World War Two engulfed Europe, Halvorsen fought against Norway's Nazi occupiers as a member of the resistance before being captured and sent to concentration camps.

Harder was six years older than Halvorsen. As the political and military picture transformed in Germany, he joined the SS. It was a part of the Third Reich that was both feared and revered. Originally Adolf Hitler's personal protection unit, it had expanded to take charge of eliminating the Nazis' political and racial targets. Harder rose through the ranks, eventually becoming commander at one of the concentration camps Halvorsen would be sent to.

It is not believed they met again. By the time Halvorsen arrived at Harder's Neuengamme camp in April 1945, his former team-mate had been ordered elsewhere. But the conditions he suffered were moulded by Harder's hands. And Halvorsen's death, in June 1955, was probably because of the consequences of the typhus illness he caught in the camps.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64 ... tfootball]

muzzy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by muzzy » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:43 am

Anthony Ogogo: Boxer turned wrestler on AEW Wembley show

He won an Olympic medal at London 2012 and fought professionally in all the major UK arenas and in Las Vegas - but never at Wembley Stadium. Former boxer Anthony Ogogo will be able to cross that off his wish-list on 27 August when he appears in All Elite Wrestling's (AEW) first major overseas show outside North America. "We're going to sell out Wembley Stadium, 90,000 people plus will be there. It's the first time I've wrestled on a massive scale in the UK - I can't wait to come back [for it]," Ogogo told BBC Radio Suffolk. "And the great thing is I'm a bad guy when I wrestle in the US. In the UK I'm a good guy so it'll be nice to get cheered instead of booed."

AEW was founded by Shahid Khan, also owner of Fulham football club, and his son Tony in 2018. Ogogo, now 34, joined the promotion in October 2019, having had his dreams of boxing glory ended by eyesight problems, when he was described as "our first developmental project". He lives in the USA, but believes growing up in the Suffolk town of Lowestoft was the inspiration for his success on both combat sports. Ogogo said of the town he still regards as home: "The main challenge coming from Lowestoft was that since being a young boy, I've always wanted to do something great with my life. "I wanted to achieve something great and I wanted to inspire people and it's very hard to be what you can't see. People coming from Lowestoft don't do things on an international stage, on a world level. It's a small town, so it's hard. "But that's the thing about life, if you want something bad enough, you find a way. If I was from a big city like London or Birmingham or Manchester, the path would have been much easier for me."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-65972484