The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

Sports News

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: Sports News

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Liverpool's James Milner sent off by his old primary school teacher Jon Moss!

James Milner claimed an unwanted slice of football history at Anfield yesterday - when he was sent off by his old primary school teacher!
The Liverpool full-back didn't even pause for confirmation when he fouled Wilfried Zaha in the 89th minute of yesterday's Premier League thriller at Anfield.
Having already been cautioned, he appeared to know referee Jon Moss would have no hesitation in showing a second yellow card.
But then he had a unique insight into the likely reaction of the Premier League referee, having been coached by the future referee at Westbrook Primary School in Horsforth, Yorkshire.
Milner later attended Horsforth School where he was described as a first class student leaving with 11 GCSE's and an award for his outstanding performance in PE.
His discipline yesterday was not quite as impressive, Milner receiving a red card which will see him suspended for the Reds home match with Leicester in 10 days' time. And evidence later surfaced on social media of Moss and Milner's time together in the same junior school team.
Evidence is sketchy but Milner may have become the first footballer to be sent off by his old schoolteacher.

MSN and Liverpool Echo
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Euro 2020: Georgia opponent rushes to Swiss player's aid

A Switzerland football player knocked out in an aerial clash in a Euro 2020 qualifier received emergency help from a member of rival team Georgia.
Fabian Schaer's head collided with the skull of Georgia's Jemal Tabidze as both went for the ball in the 24th minute of the match in Tbilisi.
Schaer lay unconscious on the ground, his tongue stuck down his throat.
Georgian player Jano Ananidze rushed to his aid, inserting his hand in Schaer's mouth to free the player's tongue.
Schaer recovered quickly after further treatment from Swiss first-aiders, Swiss daily Blick reports, and was able to continue playing, helping set up Switzerland's second-half goals for their 2:0 victory.
"It looks awful. I can't remember anything," the Newcastle player told the paper after being shown video footage. "I was out for a few seconds. My skull is still humming. And I've got neck ache and a bruise on my forehead. But it was worth it."
Tabidze also lay motionless after the clash, his shirt covered in blood, but he, too, recovered.

BBC Sport

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Tommy Smith: Liverpool great dies, aged 74

Former Liverpool captain Tommy Smith, who helped the club to domestic and European success in the 1960s and 1970s, has died aged 74.
Known as the "Anfield Iron", Smith had an 18-year career at Anfield, during which he won four league titles.
He scored in the 1977 European Cup final as Liverpool beat Borussia Monchengladbach 3-1 to win the trophy for the first time.
Liverpool said that they were "deeply saddened" by his death.
Smith, who made 638 appearances for the Reds between 1960 and 1978, had struggled with dementia and other ailments during his later years.
His daughter, Janette Simpson, told the club website on Friday: "Dad died very peacefully in his sleep shortly after 4.30pm today at his nursing home.
"He had been growing increasingly frail and suffering from a variety of ailments over the last three months especially.
"We are obviously all devastated."

BBC Sports News

Very sad to read this. Watched him countless times during the 1960's. He was a hard but fair player.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:12 pm

I see your team has confirmed its promotion to the EFL Division TWO, Dave. Well done to them. dancer1

BBC Sport

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 pm

Champions League football architect Johansson dies aged 89

STOCKHOLM — Lennart Johansson, who oversaw the introduction of the Champions League during a 17-year reign as president of European soccer's governing body, has died. He was 89.
Sweden's soccer association said the former UEFA president died Tuesday after a short illness.
"Lennart Johansson was our biggest international football leader of all time, no Swedish[sic] has had a similar influence on football in the world," Swedish Football Association president Karl-Erik Nilsson said Wednesday. "He was deeply respected as UEFA president and vice president of FIFA, his leadership has aroused admiration worldwide."

Associated Press on MSN

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:28 pm

How very sad to hear of this after his achievement last season. I know Dave, who supports Leyton Orient, will be upset about it.

Justin Edinburgh: Leyton Orient manager dies at the age of 49

Leyton Orient manager Justin Edinburgh has died at the age of 49 - five days after suffering a cardiac arrest.
Edinburgh, who guided Orient back into the English Football League in 2018-19, had been taken to hospital on Monday.
"We are completely heartbroken by this tragedy," Orient chairman Nigel Travis told the club's website.
Edinburgh, who won the FA Cup as a Spurs player, managed Northampton Town, Gillingham and Newport County before moving to Orient in November 2017.
"All our thoughts and love are with the Edinburgh family and we know from the messages that have flooded into the club over the last week that the wider football world will share our sentiments," added Travis.
"The success that Justin brought to Leyton Orient was incredible, but more importantly the impact he had on us all as a winner and a wonderful, inspirational human being will be his legacy and will stay with us forever.
"All our thoughts are with Justin's wife Kerri and their children Charlie and Cydnie."

BBC Sports News

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:14 pm

boatbuilder wrote:How very sad to hear of this after his achievement last season. I know Dave, who supports Leyton Orient, will be upset about it.
Obviously the most important people to remember at this time are Justin's wife, son and family, but I can't help wondering what might have been at Leyton Orient in the future. When Barry Hearne sold the O's they dropped like a stone into the National League, they appointed Justin Edinburgh halfway through the season and never looked back. They won promotion back to Division Two after just one and a half seasons under Justin's management, a short time at the club, but I think he'll be remembered for a lot longer.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:27 pm

I'm sure that the players at the club will be determined to prove that they can go on to greater things as a lasting tribute to him. Let's hope that whoever is appointed to succeed Justin, has the determination and ability to continue the good work that he started.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:33 am

Norwich City begin their Premier League 2019/20 season away at Liverpool on Friday night 9th August.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 pm

It looks like history could be made this weekend in the Premier League when a team plays itself for the first time. :D
Annotation 2019-09-11 144842.jpg
…well according to THIS REPORT, unless they notice it and change it, but the above is proof it did exist.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Jim Smith: Ex-Derby County, Oxford United & Portsmouth boss dies, aged 79.

Former Derby County, Oxford United and Portsmouth boss Jim Smith has died at the age of 79.
Smith, known throughout football as the 'Bald Eagle', managed nine different clubs across the leagues.
Among his career highlights were a League Cup final appearance with Queens Park Rangers in 1986 and promotion to the Premier League with Derby in 1996.

Full Report Here.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:59 pm

LIVERPOOL - FIFA Club World Champions 2019

Roberto Firmino struck in extra time to hand Liverpool a first Fifa Club World Cup triumph as Jurgen Klopp's side eventually ended the resistance of Brazilian champions Flamengo in Qatar.
Firmino, who scored a dramatic injury-time winner against Monterrey to send Liverpool into the final, produced a composed finish in the 99th minute as the Reds became the second English side to win the tournament, after Manchester United in 2008.
In a dramatic conclusion to normal time, Liverpool had seen an injury-time penalty decision overturned after Sadio Mane went down under a challenge from Rafinha, with referee Abdulrahman Al Jassim reversing his initial verdict after checking the pitchside monitor following a consultation with the video assistant referee.
dancer1 dancer1 dancer1
FULL BBC SPORT REPORT

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:57 pm

Martin Peters: 1966 World Cup winner and West Ham legend dies aged 76.

World Cup winner and West Ham legend Martin Peters has died aged 76, his family have announced.
Peters, who joined West Ham aged 15, spent 11 years with the club until he became Britain's first £200,000 player in a move to Tottenham in 1970.
He scored for England in their 1966 World Cup final win over West Germany.
West Ham said "the 1966 World Cup winner passed away peacefully" on Saturday after "a long and courageous battle with illness".

Full article here.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:07 pm

Very sad to hear about Martin Peters. It was reported at half-time during the Liverpool game earlier on BBC1.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:15 pm

I had to laugh at this player's premature celebration of a goal he thought he had scored. :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/51517792

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:57 am

Personally, as a Liverpool Supporter, I thought the boy had a cheek writing that letter to Jurgen Klopp. It might have been better for him to write to Ole Gunnar Solskjær asking him to get HIS team to win a few more games. :D ;)