The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

SportsTalk

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: SportsTalk

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Yes it was. One night when I was going home from school in the winter of 1962/3, I noticed some strong lights near where I got off the bus and went to investigate, like you would. There was a camera and sound crew set up there filming a scene for one of the programs. I only knew what it was from the details on the clapper-board. I did see that particular program when it got on to the TV.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon May 02, 2016 10:51 pm

Well done to Leicester for winning the Premiership this year, fantasy football becoming reality. They thoroughly deserve the title and trophy with the way the team, with the emphasis on the word team, has played this season. Would have preferred Spurs to win it but if it wasn't going to be them I am glad the Foxes made it :StGeorge:
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon May 02, 2016 11:33 pm

I wonder how they would have fared without Jamie Vardy though?

Of course they now have a reputation to keep up so the 2016/17 season should be interesting. After the 5,000-1 odds on them winning it at the start of the season, I wonder what odds will be given on them getting relegated in May 2017? Could be worth gambling a 'tenner' if they are 5,000-1. :D

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue May 03, 2016 5:06 pm

I had to smile a few minutes ago as I read a headline on the newspaper placard outside our local newsagents:

"City has X-Factor - Neil"

I wonder does Alex Neil really mean the "X-Pel Factor", as at the moment Norwich City seem more destined to be 'expelled' from the Premiership? :huh:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue May 03, 2016 7:14 pm

boatbuilder wrote:...as at the moment Norwich City seem more destined to be 'expelled' from the Premiership? :huh:
Lowestoft Town have been relegated from the National League North...so fingers crossed Norwich can escape from their relegation battle, we don't want to be an area of losers ;) :)

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue May 03, 2016 7:35 pm

I see they (Lowestoft Town) sealed their own fete there by failing to beat Gloucester City at home on Saturday.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu May 05, 2016 10:10 pm

Another great football match tonight with Liverpool getting to the Europa League final beating Spanish side Villarreal 3-0 (3-1 aggregate). At least it stops both European finals being all-Spanish affairs.

Image Image Image

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri May 06, 2016 7:13 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Another great football match tonight with Liverpool getting to the Europa League final beating Spanish side Villarreal 3-0 (3-1 aggregate).
I missed the match Boatbuilder, and yes certainly a good win for Liverpool and one match away from a Champions League spot. I believe even a few Man Utd supporters will be cheering them on if it means Liverpool nicking Man City's place in the Champions League :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri May 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Mel, it so happens there does not appear to be any other team in the Premier League, as of this point in time, who has got a guaranteed place in next season's Champions League with the exception of Leicester City. With the points each of the next five teams (Spurs, Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and West Ham) have and the remaining games each has left to play, any one of them could finish 4th (mathematically) and therefore not qualify if Liverpool win the Europa League.

I must admit though that the criteria for qualifying is somewhat complex, to say the least. Try fathoming it all out (for both competitions) from the chart in this Wikipedia topic on the subject. Image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_f ... mpetitions
Attachments
PL.JPG
PL.JPG (37.08 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat May 21, 2016 8:29 am

Cup Final day today, Crystal Palace versus Manchester United. Being a neutral having no allegiance to either club I expect I will end up cheering for the Palace team as it is always good to see the under dog succeeding...and seeing the prima donnas in red all sulking ;) :)

The FA Cup has certainly changed in the last thirty years or so, no matter what teams had made the final it was always an exciting week leading up to the Wembley showdown and the streets would be deserted at the three o'clock kick off time. No longer though, and I suppose the reason is there is so much live football televised now with the Premier League on every week and the Champions League/ Europa League on TV the poor old FA Cup has become the poor relative.

Although still a football fan I sometime do wish we would go back to the regular three o'clock kick offs on a Saturday afternoon for all leagues, no live football except finals and internationals and I also think it would be great if we brought back the rattle and rosette :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:33 pm

England's Harry Kane was extremely lucky to escape uninjured when Bruno Alves of Portugal went in with this high-speed, high tackle in tonight's game at Wembley for which the referee had no option but to award the Portuguese player a RED card.
Attachments
Red Card.jpg

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 pm

I missed the England game tonight but reading the match reports it doesn't seem like I missed a spectacular. It was good to win, it was good to keep a clean sheet and I expect it gave the manager another chance to see his players in a competitive match. How competitive friendly matches can be I am not to sure; although the England v Scotland friendlies are quite competitive :lol:

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:15 am

Having watched some of the match last night,I wasn't impressed. England were playing against 10 men for a greater part of the match and Ronaldo wasn't playing. I found Spring watch a better choice to view particularly as the night before a certain Mel was on the heath with the presenter. Just wondering if this could be the ML Mel :o ???????????????
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:43 am

Suffolkboy wrote: I found Spring watch a better choice to view particularly as the night before a certain Mel was on the heath with the presenter. Just wondering if this could be the ML Mel :o ???????????????
I am glad I didn't miss a classic England performance Suffolkboy, let us hope the team really gels and plays well once the Euro Championship starts for real next week. Like you I am a big fan of Spring Watch but it wasn't ML Mel on the heath...sadly ;) :)

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:49 pm

It certainly was a disappointing result tonight Boatbuilder, all the more so as the team had played so well for most of the game and then threw it away in extra time. Hopefully the disappointment felt by the players will spur them on in the next two games. As usual the hooligans are hogging the headlines...I just can't see any sense in all that mindless violence and it certainly casts a shadow over the tournament.

Was pleased for the Wales team they certainly deserved the three points...hopefully they don't get any points in their next game ;) :StGeorge:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Yes, it is a shame it's all been marred by the violence in Marseille, Mel. One tends to forget about it whilst watching the match as it is only the minority who are guilty.

Unfortunately the England goalkeeper seemed to have put his lead boots on towards the end of the game and must take some of the blame for the equalising goal as he seemed rooted to the spot. Maybe he (and some of the others) became too complacent in the added-on time. Seems to happen a lot in games these days.