The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

SportsTalk

All things sports related.
nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: SportsTalk

Post by nikkai » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:41 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Too much money and nothing to do ? may lead to a sort of " party on life "
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:43 am

After watching yesterday's FA Cup games I think a few team managers should be blamed for poor results. Liverpool, Newcastle, Brighton and to some extent Tottenham (although Spurs did put up a good fight to win the game...."Come On You Spurs" :StGeorge: ) did not pick their first eleven and were punished for not doing so. The idea of not playing your best team is an insult to the fans who all pay good money to watch their teams.
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:47 pm

Having beaten Ipswich Town and then Brighton in the third and fourth rounds of the FA Cup, Lincoln City have now gone on to beat Premier League Burnley, away, in the fifth round to become the first non-league team in 103 years to reach the quarter final stages. That is quite an achievement in the modern football era. Well done to them. dancer1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38940052

edit: 17-35. Having just looked at the remainder of the results so far today, it certainly looks like it could be the underdogs' year. Millwall having beaten Middlesborough and Manchester City being held to a 0-0 draw at Huddersfield. I wonder if Wolves can pull it off against Chelsea? :D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:22 pm

boatbuilder wrote: That is quite an achievement in the modern football era. Well done to them. dancer1
Very well done I would say Boatbuilder. The magic of the FA Cup, you can't beat it (unless it is your team getting knocked out by a minnow). Keeping my fingers crossed that Sutton have a good result Monday and Fulham don't turn up tomorrow ;) :)

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:14 pm

Lincoln to play Arsenal at the Emirates in the next round of the FA Cup if Arsenal get past Sutton in tomorrow nights game that is. What a great result for the non league team. Was reading today that they have already banked a million pounds in this years cup run, a game at the Emirates will certainly enhance that amount. And what a great day out for the Lincoln supporters :StGeorge:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Mel, with all the unpredictability that has taken place in this year's FA Cup, that's not a certainty yet, especially with Arsenal also being unpredictable with some of their results. :D Chelsea v Man U could be interesting as well. :|

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 pm

I see Leicester City have sacked manager Claudio Ranieri. Maybe they should have sacked the players instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39070927

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:41 am

boatbuilder on 2nd May 2016 wrote: Of course they now have a reputation to keep up so the 2016/17 season should be interesting. After the 5,000-1 odds on them winning it at the start of the season, I wonder what odds will be given on them getting relegated in May 2017? Could be worth gambling a 'tenner' if they are 5,000-1. :D
I just recalled this post I made after Leicester won the Premier League in May last year. I am now wondering what the odds I would have been given at the time would have been and I hope I didn't talk it up for Claudio's sake.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 am

boatbuilder wrote:I see Leicester City have sacked manager Claudio Ranieri. Maybe they should have sacked the players instead.
Yes I think they should have done Boatbuilder. I believe at the very least Claudio Ranieri should have been given till the end of the season before the decision to let him go or not was decided. The Leicester owners and board should hold their heads down in shame.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:47 am

Just picked up this quote on the BBC sport's app from the Daily Express.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says Ranieri's departure is as "strange" as the Brexit vote and Donald Trump being elected US president.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:58 pm

After last nights result between Leicester and Liverpool (3 - 1) the way I see it the Leicester players have been under performing all season for the one purpose and that is getting rid of their manager. I feel sorry for the fans, their team has let them down this season but I still think it will be poetic justice if their team get relegated. Claudio Ranieri has been treated terribly by all at the Leicester club...except that is by the most important people there, the fans.

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:27 pm

I am in grave doubt that all the success that we have had from our cycling teams and our road racers is legitimate. We hear of stories that packages were personally delivered to France by a carrier, and the latest that no records have been kept of any medications or other tablets that have been taken.
Every medal winner will be tainted if any one or more is a proven cheat.
If these investigations turn out to prove that illegal substances have been taken with the approval of there coaches or organises, then I would favour that all funding of all teams should be suspended for a couple of Years.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Aussie K wrote:Every medal winner will be tainted if any one or more is a proven cheat.
We are hearing more and more of these occurrences across all sports nowadays Aussie K. I feel so sorry for all the clean athletes who train to their best ability but are all tainted by the cheats. I believe with the loss of amateur sports we have seen the decline in honesty of sportsmen and women (although I shouldn't call the drug takers sportsmen and sportswomen :( ), there is just to much money at stake and to much celebrity making involved in sport nowadays.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Your final comment is absolutely right, Mel. Why can't they just treat it as a job like everybody else does. There's also too much 'praise' (SPOTY, etc.,) handed out to sports personalities, just as there is other spheres such as Oscars, BAFTAS, Brits, etc., etc. The majority of ordinary people do an honest day's work for far, far less money and without all so-called 'honours' that these people are presented with over the years.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Sad to see that John Surtees, Former F1 world champion has died at the age of 83

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39235608

It's hard to believe it's all those years ago - 1956 to 64 - when he made his name.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 am

I've been looking at Lowestoft FC's website and they are warning supporters to check the fixture list as most of the first team are injured and some matches may be postponed. Apparently they were training on the beach and kept running into large pieces of wood. They are now all suffering from groyne injuries. :lol:
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.