The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

SportsTalk

All things sports related.
Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Male/Female: Male

Re: SportsTalk

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:04 am

Latest post of the previous page:

I've been looking at Lowestoft FC's website and they are warning supporters to check the fixture list as most of the first team are injured and some matches may be postponed. Apparently they were training on the beach and kept running into large pieces of wood. They are now all suffering from groyne injuries. :lol:
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:49 pm

That's one for the 'Jokes doing the Rounds', Dave :D :lol:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 pm

A groyne injury is nothing to joke about, it's all true.........honestly. ;) :lol:
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Post the link then, Dave. :D

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 pm

I seem to have mislaid it, boatbuilder, I'll get back to you. :think:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:57 pm

Don't you mean it's been kicked into touch, Dave? :lol:

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm

I was saddened to read this morning of the death of Ronnie Moran who was a Liverpool FC full back when I started to watch them in the laste 50's early 60's. He remained faithful to the club right through to his retirement from the game in 1998 and was their longest serving employee. RIP Ronnie.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39350805

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Who remembers 'Fergie Time' when Sir Alex Ferguson was manager of Manchester United and when there seemed to be enormous amounts of stoppage time added on at the end of the game when his team were losing?

It seems we now might be getting 'Conti Time' when the same thing will happen when Chelsea are getting beaten.

I have just been following the Chelsea v Crystal Palace game on the BBC Sport website which Chelsea have just lost 1-2 at home to the 16th placed side in the league - that score having stood since the 11th minute of the game. However, it never ended until into at least the 11th minute of added-on time.

I don't know how much of that time was attributed to stoppages for injury or whatever, but at 98 minutes (8-minutes into stoppages) the BBC text stated that there were 'Seconds left for Palace to hold out. They have defended brilliantly today', yet it seem to have gone on for about a further 3 minutes.

It will be interesting to hear the media's comments about it (if they do). :roll:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:41 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Who remembers 'Fergie Time' when Sir Alex Ferguson was manager of Manchester United and when there seemed to be enormous amounts of stoppage time added on at the end of the game when his team were losing?
Everyone still calls it 'Fergie Time' Boatbuilder :) I bet those Crystal Palace supporters were calling the ref some ripe names. I know there was quite a lot of stoppage for an injury and maybe the Palace players were being punished for 'time wasting' but extra time is only going to get longer if video replay becomes law. I watched the France v Spain game earlier in the week where it was being trialled by FIFA and it worked well confirming one goal which the ref had disallowed and disallowing a goal the ref had given. I am not to sure if I like the idea myself as I think there has already been to much meddling with the rules...but I suppose it is progress :roll:
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Footballer scores 3.2 seconds after kick-off

Maryhill midfielder Gavin Stokes scored what is one of the fastest goals in world football when he netted from the kick-off against Clydebank.
Stokes' drive from the halfway line took 3.2 seconds to fly past the Clydebank goalkeeper in Saturday's 3-0 win in the West of Scotland Super League First Division, part of the Scottish semi-professional junior football set-up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39580244 - includes video

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 pm

What a strange and unpredictable game football is. In the Norwich v 'newly promoted to the Premiership' Brighton match at Carrow Road, Norwich have won the game 2-0 without having a single shot on target. Instead, two of their seven shots have hit the woodwork and both have come back out, only to deflect into the net off the Brighton goalkeeper's back on both occasions. Both goals are recorded as 'own-goals'. :lol:

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Norwich have won the game 2-0 without having a single shot on target. Instead, two of their seven shots have hit the woodwork and both have come back out, only to deflect into the net off the Brighton goalkeeper's back on both occasions. Both goals are recorded as 'own-goals'. :lol:
It is a 'Funny old game' Boatbuilder; I bet the odds on that happening would have been more than Leicester winning the Premiership last season.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat May 20, 2017 4:57 pm

So the FA is to start introducing retrospective punishment on footballers who simulate dives, under certain circumstances.
These are those that resulted in a penalty being given, or the issue of a red card, or a yellow card that contributes to a sending-off of another player

Diving bans: Howard Webb backs FA retrospective action.

Personally I think this system will not work for two reasons:

1) If a penalty is given and a goal is scored, only for the FA to later decide that the player who 'won' the penalty actually dived, will the FA then as well as punishing the player who dived, rescind a scored goal as a result of the penalty and therefore adjust the score-line of the match that was completed one or more days prior, maybe giving a totally different result to the match?

2) If a player is sent off under similar circumstances leaving one side a player short for what could well be a lengthy spell of the match, surely the team with the fewer players is going to have been dealt an unfair disadvantage for that spell of the game should it later be found that their player shouldn't have been sent off?

It is of my opinion that there is only one fair way to resolve this, and that is that under those two circumstances, there has to be the facility at the ground for the referee to see the incident replayed on a screen there and then and for him and his other officials present, to be able to make the final decision. Anything other than that has to be unacceptable.

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 pm

I don't think it will work either bb but it will be at least as good as it is now.
The referees have not used there judgement as they ought, maybe to save there gradings, but I think it is the referees who should be graded down if they allow a player who deliberately cheat to stay on the field, either inside the penalty area or not.
My preferred system is to revert to what it was, that no penalty be awarded unless the referee is certain in his own mind that the defending player had intent to fowl the opponent. In other words it cannot be a fowl unless done with intent and not just because contact was made.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon May 29, 2017 9:12 am

boatbuilder wrote: 1) If a penalty is given and a goal is scored, only for the FA to later decide that the player who 'won' the penalty actually dived, will the FA then as well as punishing the player who dived, rescind a scored goal as a result of the penalty and therefore adjust the score-line of the match that was completed one or more days prior, maybe giving a totally different result to the match?
No, I think the result should stand but the player found guilty of cheating should be banned for a considerable time. Fining players is pointless, so ban the player, the club will lose a valuable asset and maybe then the football clubs will make sure their players stop cheating.
boatbuilder wrote: 2) If a player is sent off under similar circumstances leaving one side a player short for what could well be a lengthy spell of the match, surely the team with the fewer players is going to have been dealt an unfair disadvantage for that spell of the game should it later be found that their player shouldn't have been sent off?
The disadvantaged team should receive considerable damages from the guilty club. Making the club pay would hopefully make them get through to their players that cheating will not be allowed.

I think the idea of goal-line technology is good but the wholesale stopping and starting of games for video analysis for every infringement is a backward step, because I believe in the end referees would be frightened to get a call wrong and use the video more and more instead of using their own judgement. If this happened it would to spoil the game for me.

Maybe I am a bit of a 'luddite' where football is concerned, I am not even keen on the use of substitutes (especially the number of substitutes they use nowadays) and I still believe football games should kick off at 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon :) But I know those days are not going to come back, but I believe change is not always for the best.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:59 pm

Sadly, a motorbike rider has died after crashing in the IOM 'TT' Races.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/40182422