The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

SportsTalk

All things sports related.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Re: SportsTalk

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:06 am

Latest post of the previous page:

Congratulations to the England Women's football team on reaching the knock-out stages of the 2019 World Cup finals. :StGeorge:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:42 pm

Did you know that 55-weeks ago today, Kenneth Wolstenholme presented the first ever 'Match of the Day' on BBC - Liverpool v Arsenal. ;)

Well that is according to Gary Lineker on tonight's edition of the same program when he introduced this evening's Liverpool v Arsenal game. :D
:think: Somehow I think he was out by a margin of 52 times that. :lol:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:59 pm

boatbuilder wrote: :think: Somehow I think he was out by a margin of 52 times that. :lol:
Perhaps he has deserted Walkers crisps and had too many of these. drinker1
small-PC.Guinness.jpg
small-PC.Guinness.jpg (24.7 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:08 am

You never know, Dave.
I wonder if he went to Devon for his holidays? :D

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:17 pm

Who would have believed it possible? Ben Stokes, that's who.
Stokes.JPG
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:09 am

I think I'm right In saying that next week Football has an International break. That's for the Premier and Championship Leagues, not Leagues One and Two, the National League and the National Leagues, North & South. Below those are the Northern Premier Division, Southern Football League Central Division, Southern Football League South Division and Isthmian Premier Division. That's nine leagues that could get a bit of attention on BBC's Saturday afternoon 'Final Score' whilst the top two go missing. But if things remain true to form 'Final Score' will have a day off and the fans of the 'lesser' leagues will have to take it or leave it. Gary Lineker won't be discussing the likes of Macclesfield, Rotherham or Dover on 'Match of the Day' either. We have one of the best pyramid systems in world football and yet the BBC ignore all but two of the leagues and their fans as well.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:39 am

Your thinking is right - Euro 2020 Qualifiers. England play Bulgaria on Saturday evening - broadcast on ITV1 from 4-30pm with Kick-off at 5-00pm.

As far as MOTD is concerned that has only ever been the top division anyway - Premier League or the First Division as it was in the early days.

There is no 'Final Score' either on BBC1, but of course there is 'Soccer Saturday' on Sky Sports from 3 to 5-pm which covers all leagues, I believe.

Personally, I don't bother with either of the two afternoon programs (BBC or Sky). If I want to follow any of the details of the games I use the BBC website pages which covers all leagues as far down the list as the National League.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:23 pm

Having watched the Norwich v Spurs game earlier this evening, I am now convinced that VAR needs either abolishing completely, or the rules on off-side need changing.

The following VAR incident resulted in a subsequent Norwich goal being ruled as offside. There is NO WAY that the player was offiside. How can you decide where to put the vertical lines from an angle such as that in the image? To make a decision on such a call the camera has to be directly in line with the players not 10 or 20 yards away from the line across the pitch. I think the ruling part of the body as far as off-side is concerned has to be the feet, where the line across the pitch which is easier to verify, is going to be more accurate. Why should the player be ruled off-side for leaning further forward than the defender who is a bit slow off the mark? Even in the image below, it is extremely debateable that the attacker's arm is further forward than the defender's knee, owing to the angle from which the image is taken. Continue the blue vertical line further upwards and the defender's hand would be in front of it. Also the vertical lines are of different thicknesses. Why?

VAR is now a farce!
Norwich-Spurs.jpg

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:39 pm

I listened to the Liverpool v Shrewsbury Town FA Cup replay tonight on Radio Merseyside, whilst following the text on BBC Sport website.

At an average age of just 19 years and 102 days - the youngest ever senior game line up to play for Liverpool, they seemed to put up a remarkable performance to win the game 1-0. Despite it being an own-goal and the fact that Shrewsbury had a goal disallowed by VAR, I think the statistics for the game say it all. I think the foul-count of just Liverpool 1 Shrewsbury 14 also speaks for itself. Well done the Under-23 youngsters!
livshrew.jpg
livshrew.jpg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51356816#tab-1