The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Was Ben Bradley MP right in 2012?

UK issues and events worth discussing.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Was Ben Bradley MP right in 2012?

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:49 pm

The following news article has just appeared on the BBC website, in response to an article posted by Buzzfeed.com.

I suppose we'll now be getting calls for Ben Bradley to resign from his newly-appointed post in the Conservative Party, but why should something he wrote over five years ago potentially jeopardise his job?
Personally, I see nothing wrong with what he wrote back in 2012. There are many truths in what he said, which the BBC failed to highlight in their report, even though they have linked to the full Buzzfeed article - which included the full text of what he wrote - and which I have copied after the BBC link below. What do you think?

BBC Article:
Tory MP Ben Bradley 'sorry' for blog post about jobless

A Conservative MP has apologised for a 2012 blog post in which he suggested benefit claimants should have vasectomies.
In the post Ben Bradley, made Tory vice-chairman for youth in last week's reshuffle, hit out at what he called a "vast sea of unemployed wasters".
Apologising, he said he had matured since writing the now-deleted remarks, which were highlighted by Buzzfeed.
Labour attacked him over the "repulsive comments".
The 28-year-old Mansfield MP had been writing in support of the benefits cap.

Link to Full BBC Story
In 2012 Ben Bradley MP wrote:No sector of the government spends more of taxpayers money than the Department of Work and Pensions, and as the House of Lords debates the proposed changes to the Welfare Programme it’s important to make it clear that cuts are necessary and vital to not only our economy but to British Culture; benefits must become ‘a hand up, not a hand out’.
In terms of unemployment benefit the best proposal I’ve heard in a long time is the idea of an ‘allowance cap’ for families, so that total benefits would be limited to around £500 per week for families with children. It’s horrendous that there are families out there that can make vastly more than the average wage, (or in some cases more than a bloody good wage) just because they have 10 kids. Sorry but how many children you have is a choice; if you can’t afford them, stop having them! Vasectomies are free.
There are hundreds of families in the UK who earn over £60,000 in benefits without lifting a finger because they have so many kids (and for the rest of us that’s a wage of over £90,000 before tax!) Take the example of the Smiths (actual name, not a cover story), who earn around £95 grand a year for their 10 kids under 15 years old, live for free in a council house and even have their meals delivered to them. It’s a tough life when, as Mrs Smith put it "we are so hard up that we can only afford one Nintendo Wii between all the kids”. The family receive benefits totaling £44,954 a year. They also have a £950-a-week bed-and-breakfast deal where the council pays for breakfasts delivered to their home. This comes to £49,400, making a grand total of £94,354 a year. All in all around 190 families like this cost the taxpayer over £11 million a year!
People have to take responsibility for their own lives, and if they are struggling but working hard to help themselves then they should get help. But if they choose to have 10 kids they should take responsibility for that choice and look after them, not expect everyone else to foot the bill! Families who have never worked a day in their lives having 4 or 5 kids and the rest of us having 1 or 2 means its not long before we’re drowning in a vast sea of unemployed wasters that we pay to keep! Iain Duncan Smith’s cap proposal is spot on!
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Abu Nuwas
Male/Female: Male

Re: Was Ben Bradley MP right in 2012?

Post by Abu Nuwas » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:55 am

He sounds like a silly ass, with no concept of hardship. Or he was - like all those people who 'might have tried cannabis' when young'; or 'might have experimented with a same-sex relationship' when young. If he was so into politics, he ought to have known that proposing vasectomies, would have been contrary to Article 8 of the ECHR, incorporated in our Human Rights Act. I am not impressed by quoting extreme cases, and turning the law on its head for that. Especially when I have no means of checking the circumstances of those cases.
Consistency is the hob-goblin of the small mind