The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

General Election

UK issues and events worth discussing.

UPDATE! Here is a NEW POLL now that the Campaign Proper is now under way. Who will you vote for?

Poll ended at Wed May 06, 2015 10:43 pm

Conservative
50%
Green Party
20%
Labour
No votes
Lib/Dem
No votes
UKIP
10%
Other
No votes
Still not decided yet
10%
I won't be voting
10%

Total votes: 10

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: General Election

Post by funkychick » Sat May 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

BB I think the only reason Ed Milliband seems out of his depth is because he isn't the flanneller the others are. I do believe he tries to do what he feel is possible. while the others are full of the blarney. as they say. I think the fact that he didn't look so slick is exactly the point I was making the slickness comes about from speaking a load of old cobblers that they know the voters want to hear and believe in Its the old 'yes the car is a wonderful runner only has 10 miles on the clock ' syndrome
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Sat May 09, 2015 7:52 pm

I don't think there is one MP who doesn't, at some time or other, talk a load of old cobblers, FC. Why did Miliband step down? Probably because he believed that he wasn't up to the job that was required of him. I was very surprised when he was voted into the job in the first place. Everyone knew the election was going to be a 'close-call' and to some extent it was, with a majority of just 12, despite the fact that the opinion polls were all saying it would be a hung parliament. What makes it seem worse for Miliband was Labour's poor performance in Scotland. Surely if he believed he was up to the job then why didn't he stay put, at least for a couple more years to see how things progressed, but to step down on the first day seems to me to be the coward's way out. Maybe Ed Ball's defeat was a contributing factor in his decision.

As far as Clegg is concerned then yes, it was an atrocious performance by the Lib Dems, and I had every expectation of him stepping down fairly quickly once it became apparent that they would only achieve a handful of seats compared to 2010. Looks like the Lib Dem supporters of the 2010 election may not have approved of him joining forces in a coalition so pulled their support for the party.

Now as for 'The Third Man'. Well I guess he expected more, and on the face of their percentage share of the vote perhaps they should have got more - not that I wanted it. So on that score I suppose he decided to go - albeit maybe only temporary from what he has said. As we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes in 'UKIP House', then maybe that was just a ploy on his part. A bit like Dr Fu Manchu when he said 'The world shall hear from me again'. I bet you're glad that we don't have proportional representation with them having polled a 12.6% share of the vote and more than likely another hung parliament, which I guess would happen more often than it does now if we did.

These are just my views on the resignations and probably a long way from what did lay behind the three leaders' decisions. :|
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun May 10, 2015 6:46 am

I totally disagree I think it shows courage to say 'well I couldnt do it for you so let me give the chance to someone else who might be better' I think to have carried on regardless would show arrogance and yet more of the 'I cant be wrong' attitude To admit defeat is a good personality trait and again underlines honesty he could have stayed and blamed everything bar himself but he chose to fall on his sword and leave it to what he considers a ' better man' I think hes had a really bad time presswise beginning with the younger brother bit ,through the nerdy, not old enough and many dont admit but dont like him because of his Jewish background I personally think he was too young and the fact he has never been a 'labourer' are all the things that went against him

Mr Farage has resigned but believes he will come back how awful is that 'keep my seat warm dont let any one else in but let me have a nice restful summer and recover while I lick my wounds ' a real used car salesman well actually he reminds me more of those double glazing agents you cant get rid of but more dangerous a bit of cross between a cheshire cat and one of those American Bapits who stand with their pacards of hate dissapearing when it suits him only to appear with that scary grin and his pint while spewing out hatred

I feel sorry for the LIb Dms they sold their souls to the devil and lost out all round as they never really had any voice but are now lower than they were before they gave up their own integity
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun May 10, 2015 7:20 am

funkychick wrote:I think hes had a really bad time presswise beginning with the younger brother bit ,through the nerdy, not old enough and many dont admit but dont like him because of his Jewish background I personally think he was too young and the fact he has never been a 'labourer' are all the things that went against him
The major difficulty Ed Miliband had was he was far to left wing, history proves and I hope it continues to that the English public will not vote in a party that has swung to far to the left, it was the same problem Michael Foot and Neil Kinnock had.
My Flickr pictures look here

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun May 10, 2015 7:35 am

The Tories have taken charge of the local council too... Waveney
My Flickr pictures look here

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun May 10, 2015 11:30 am

You're a bit behind with that news Mel LOL

What part of the Millibands ideas were too far left then , they certainly were left of Blairs far right

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun May 10, 2015 5:27 pm

funkychick wrote:Mr Farage has resigned but believes he will come back how awful is that 'keep my seat warm dont let any one else in but let me have a nice restful summer and recover while I lick my wounds
Could be worse I suppose. We still have the 'possibility' of Robert Kilroy Silk making a leadership attempt once more!

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon May 11, 2015 5:25 pm

Nigel Farage is to remain as UKIP leader as the party rejected his resignation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32696505

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon May 11, 2015 6:36 pm

haha what a drama queen he would have known that all good publicity

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon May 11, 2015 6:38 pm

Don't you mean king, not queen? :lol:

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Tue May 12, 2015 5:59 am

No I m happy with drama queen thanks

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:15 am

Well it's been some 8 months since the last post on this thread - any view on who was voted in as the labour leader? What Ed Milliband has done since his demise and what might happen if there were to be an election tomorrow?
It's grim up North...

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:44 pm

I see nobody has responded frankie, maybe they don't have an opinion at the moment or perhaps don't want to express it at present. Maybe the future of the UK in (or out of) Europe would be more topical in the current state of affairs.

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:57 pm

My problem, and I'm sure that of many people, is that I like alot of Corbyns ideas, but they will never happen. Many of his ideas are impractical, costing money that we as a country simply don't have. He does seem to be honest - at least, more honest than most politicians! However, I'm sure by the time the next election comes around that will have been beaten out of him. That is, unless there is a Labour leadership challenge in the meantime, which could easily happen.

I think that more likely is a Conservative leadership challenge. If Cameron doesn't choose one side or another soon over the EU, he will be seen - even more so - as weak willed.

Personally, my vote goes to None Of The Above (little movie reference :) )