The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Should this man be prosecuted?

UK issues and events worth discussing.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Should this man be prosecuted?

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:06 pm

The Crown Office has already said there will be no criminal prosecution over the crash, with senior lawyers deeming it a "tragic accident".
The above quote is from today's BBC report on the Fatal Accident Inquiry into the Glasgow bin lorry crash last December which claimed 6 lives and injured 15. Virtually the same statement is included with every BBC report that I have read since the start of the inquiry.

In the light of the deception (if that's the right word to use) by the driver of the vehicle which seems to be apparent from the evidence being presented to the inquiry, I don't see how the families of the victims can think justice is being done for their loved ones under the circumstances if nobody is prosecuted. What do you think?

This is today's report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-33802543
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Should this man be prosecuted?

Post by Mel » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 pm

In my opinion the driver of the bin lorry is as guilty as hell for not disclosing his medical history of blackouts and fainting when applying for the job with the council. The council are to blame for not having a more stringent vetting policy when employing staff (they took his word on his application forms about his medical condition). If the driver does not get prosecuted by the courts, hopefully his conscience will punish him every day for the loss of life of those poor pedestrians.
My Flickr pictures look here

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:03 pm

It seems to me that the Crown Office Lawyers were also lax in their investigation if they put it down to a "tragic accident".

It will be interesting to see if there is a change of view once the Fatal Accident Inquiry reports its findings, or even a private prosecution from the relatives of those killed and injured.
I before E except after C - That's weird

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:17 am

I hope there is some action from the families, I see this man driving again and there is the risk that he could "faint" again and what will the result of that be?
I did have a HGV 1/ PSV licence though seldom used it, when I had a heart attack (while at sea) MY GP informed DVLA and my HGV /PSV licence was suspended, I know we are in a different country to Scotland but our driving laws are the same and if you have any defect which would be recorded in your medical for driving then this should be there (or) has he lied there as well.
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:40 pm

The article states that he did not inform DVLA, his employers or the doctors of his history of fainting, so yes, he has lied all the way through.

He even denied he had previously suffered faints after this incident.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 pm

He has to sit (do) a medical for his licence and the medical has that very question about fainting etc so he should LOOSE his driving LGV entitlement and then be prosecuted
IN MY OPINION
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:53 pm

And I won't disagree with you on that one.

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: female

Post by seagull » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:29 pm

I feel sorry for the doctors.
I wonder if he had epilepsy untreated well he stupid man if that is so...This difficult ethical and moral question but I know if I a parent I would want someone to answer for it

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:55 am

Resurrecting this thread due to the recent court hearings concerning this accident. As the driver had clearly lied through his teeth to get a driving job for which he was not fit to carry out safely, he was driving illegally and the very type of accident which may have been a worst-case scenario in the back of his mind actually happened. He should be prosecuted but I doubt the punishment would be great enough to satisfy the relatives of the injured and dead. He would probably be punished for the way in which he managed to get a driving job as opposed to the deaths he caused as a consequence of it.
It's grim up North...