The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

UK-EU Membership - What do YOU think? - POLL

UK issues and events worth discussing.

Should the UK remain in the EU?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 pm

YES
25%
NO
67%
UNDECIDED
8%

Total votes: 12

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

UK-EU Membership - What do YOU think? - POLL

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:11 pm

With the news that the Prime Minister has reached a deal what do you think?

Unanimous support for UK-EU deal

There is unanimous support for a deal between the UK and the EU, European Council president Donald Tusk has said.
David Cameron said he would recommend the deal, which said gives the UK "special status" in the EU, to his cabinet on Saturday.
The agreement reached following drawn-out negotiations in Brussels paves the way for the UK's EU referendum.
Downing Street said it included a "brake" on welfare payments that can apply for seven years.
Another sticking point, child benefit curbs, will apply to existing claimants from the start of 2020.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-35601369
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35616768#

Should the UK remain in the EU?
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

George27

Re: UK-EU Membership - What do YOU think? - POLL

Post by George27 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:59 am

I doubt that this deal will make any difference to the way people vote.
Geoge you are truely rritating

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:51 pm

I have just been reading through the following link from the BBC:

The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know

This link contains the following paragraph:

What will the referendum question be?

The question is always crucial in any referendum. The original 2013 suggestion from the Conservatives was: "Do you think that the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union. Yes or no". Some people thought this phrasing leaned too far towards the status quo (the current state of affairs) and the Electoral Commission, which has to approve the question, said it was not clear enough and proposed: "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" Downing Street and MPs have accepted the amended wording.

It then got me thinking on what the two answers will have to be as they can't be 'Yes' and 'No' which seem to be the most sensible and straight forward answers to what should be a straightforward question. I guess the obvious answers against which the electorate will have to put their 'X' are 'Remain' and 'Leave'.

Why not keep it simple as with the question asked in Scotland at their referendum in 2014?

The independence referendum question, which voters answered with "Yes" or "No", was "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

George27

Post by George27 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:54 pm

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"
It works for the government, how ever you vote, Yes or No, they get the result they want! :)

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:33 pm

George27 wrote:I doubt that this deal will make any difference to the way people vote.
I agree with you there George27, plenty of people have already made up their minds. As for the 'don't knows' it will be whichever side gets their propaganda over the best that will sway the waverers. For me I think it is time to stop my daily papers, switch off all news programmes on the radio and TV and keep well clear of the BBC website until the end of June...it is going to be wall to wall coverage!! :StGeorge:
My Flickr pictures look here

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:14 pm

Made my mind up some time ago. It will be interesting to see which way the MP's decide to go especially Boris :think: who apparently is unable to decide which side to join. BGFlag :StGeorge:
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

George27

Post by George27 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Borris will go with whatever is best for Borris.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:09 pm

He already announced it earlier this afternoon.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Do not under estimate Borris,he may play the fool at times,however he is very astute and knows when to listen to the voice of the people.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:56 pm

We've already been asked the question before back in 1975 I believe, we may as well just slightly amend the wording used then. You can see it in the Background section of this Wiki page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... ndum,_1975
It's grim up North...

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: female

Post by seagull » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Suffolkboy wrote:Do not under estimate Borris,he may play the fool at times,however he is very astute and knows when to listen to the voice of the people.

He also a cretin along with his astuteness.
We should come out of EU back in 75 to little to late now.
I been in Luxenberge last month and it was sickening looking at Eurocrat buildings that must cost fortune and just as sickening was you did not see many women in streets after 6.30pm the reason,so many refugees asylum seekers etc and women were targeted,this not generally advertised to rest of Europe,my friend and me were accosted by a group but it was another group of asylum seekers who came to our rescue.
Afraid we in West responsible for much of this mess so we can not up sticks and go at least if we in we get vote.
It scares me thought of Turkey coming in but it going to happen and we got have our say.The Turkish leader saying contraception women use is treason we got sit at table and talk to calliber of man like him and more to come
The British empire was great and it brought many good things to the world but ultimatly it raped many of the countries it ruled and what we have today is the result.Therefore a lesson we should learn is governments on there own can do a lot but governments in force can do more so for me staying in is better of two evils

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:04 pm

I am for "out" without a shadow of doubt. Not particuarly for the mass amount of immigration into this country "but thats reason enough" but for my main reason is that it is dangerously undemocratic.
I am not happy at all that we British as well as all the other EU members are not able to exersise our democratic rights and deselect the governing members other than just getting out of this vast enterprise.
My main fear is that at some time in the future the EU will swing dramatically to the right, maybe to become a fascist state and we will be dragged along with no power todo much about it. Yes at this present time we can use a veto but EU is gradually and ever increasing there powers to become one colossal state and run by unelected eurocrats.
Fascism has spread over Europe before and who knows perhaps it can it happen again. Or how about a lurch to the ultra left such as Communism, unlikely but they are chances that I don't want to gamble on.
Lets take our country back and make it prosper.

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:26 am

I doing vote for my grandchildren my generation be gone before it bites.The fact one goverment can do good things United can do incredible things .The British empire brought great good to the world in doing so it raped the world same with Romans Neapolitan so what Eu going to do.i swing so voting late 9.45pm.Such important vote next generation depend on it.I looking at everything.now Trump wants us stay in well if he prepared open all gates from Mexico I listen.Scotland going screw up uk so forgone conclusion.
I met John Snow this week he was on his way to interview old Dave in Cardif John said they all liars and he should know.The impression he was for out.
I both saw on tv and talked to young people when uk was mentioned they not a clue this is uk they thought this England only.That sums up apathy bad teaching and they told it racist to talk about ww2.
Judging by cryptic answers with Union Jack beside post I can guess how people think.i still don't know what to do.

seagull
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by seagull » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:37 am

Aussie K wrote:I am for "out" without a shadow of doubt. Not particuarly for the mass amount of immigration into this country "but thats reason enough" but for my main reason is that it is dangerously undemocratic.
I am not happy at all that we British as well as all the other EU members are not able to exersise our democratic rights and deselect the governing members other than just getting out of this vast enterprise.
My main fear is that at some time in the future the EU will swing dramatically to the right, maybe to become a fascist state and we will be dragged along with no power todo much about it. Yes at this present time we can use a veto but EU is gradually and ever increasing there powers to become one colossal state and run by unelected eurocrats.
Fascism has spread over Europe before and who knows perhaps it can it happen again. Or how about a lurch to the ultra left such as Communism, unlikely but they are chances that I don't want to gamble on.
Lets take our country back and make it prosper.
Aussie thought you lived in Australia if so I think hmmm not sure your rights on this..but I 100% agree about fashists in Europe and yes another Hitler could arise You got good handle on this and entitled to your opinion if you live here then I apologise

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:17 am

Aussie lives in Suffolk, seagull. We don't think you live on the cliffs because of your username :lol: