The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

UK-EU Membership - What do YOU think? - POLL

UK issues and events worth discussing.

Should the UK remain in the EU?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 pm

YES
25%
NO
67%
UNDECIDED
8%

Total votes: 12

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Re: UK-EU Membership - What do YOU think? - POLL

Post by Suffolkboy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:03 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

Mel wrote:I have only one worry...will we still be allowed to enter the Eurovision Song Contest? ;) :lol:
Did you mean Euro Trash Mel ? :think: :mrgreen: ;)
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Mel wrote: I have only one worry...will we still be allowed to enter the Eurovision Song Contest? ;) :lol:
Why not? If Australia can take part then why shouldn't any other of the worlds other 195 countries.

Maybe there should be a 'Eurafasicas' Song Contest marathon. :D

See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Karen
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: female

Post by Karen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:42 pm

I was watching the results Thursday night when I got home. Actually one channel was showing live the ITV coverage. From what I knew about it (probably not as much as people that live there), I would have voted for out. I see people on tv comparing the Out people to Trump supporters in the US and I find that quite ridiculous. I am in no way, shape or form supporting Trump. He comes across as the Idiot Abroad. He is in Scotland, saying how great the result is. Someone must not have told him that Scotland voted to stay. Then again, he liked the results, as it was good for HIS golf business. As with everything else, it's all about him.

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Petition to hold second EU referendum reaches 2m signatures

The backlash against Brexit has strengthened with more than 2 million people signed a parliamentary petition calling for a second EU referendum.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ns-website

Looks as though we may have to do it again! :roll:
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Aussie K
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by Aussie K » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Trigger they would not dare call another referendum civil war might brake out.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:13 pm

It might just break out if they don't!

There are many people who voted 'out' and in the past 24 hours or so have come to believe they made the wrong decision now the realities of what our nation is really facing are now coming to light. One man being interviewed today shown on the early evening news said he only voted out because he didn't really think it would happen. Now where is the common sense in that? Yesterday evening they were talking to a woman in a town in Wales who voted 'out' and they asked her why she did. Her answer went something like - 'The local council closed public loos in the town because the of cuts brought about by the EU and spent money on some statues in the town '. Now where is the common sense in that train of thought? I believe many didn't really know what it was all about or were fully aware of the what the referendum meant having been brain-washed by Nigel, Boris & Co.

The idiot Nigel Farage made a comment in May that if the referendum resulted in a 52%/48% split in favour of 'Remain' then it would be 'unfinished business' - indicating a second referendum. If he expected it to work for him that way then there is no reason for not believing it can work the in the opposite.

I think a referendum in the first place was the wrong thing. We supposedly put our trust in our elected MP's to make the right decisions for our country's best interests and that is how it should have been decided, not by bowing to the pressures of a man like Nigel Farage. That's what we pay them for.

As I see it, those who are likely to suffer most as a result of exiting the EU, particularly in the short to medium term, will be those who are less well-off. The older pensioner-generation, of which I am one, should be giving thought to the future for the benefit of their own children and grandchildren, not just themselves. We are not the British Empire we once were, as many think we should be, and even in those days the prosperous ones were a much greater minority than they are now. I don't think many would want us to be a nation as it was in those days. If we leave the EU we might just get named after a well known TV program - 'Little Britain' - especially when Scotland (and possibly Northern Ireland) succeed in gaining independence which is now a distinct possibility.

As a matter of interest,the petition currently stands at 2,558 880 signatures (and rising fast), of which I am one.

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:25 pm

Trigger wrote:Petition to hold second EU referendum reaches 2m signatures

The backlash against Brexit has strengthened with more than 2 million people signed a parliamentary petition calling for a second EU referendum.
I hate bad losers :lol:

It seems like a typical EU move. Keep having referendums until they get the result they want.
My Flickr pictures look here

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:00 am

I'm afraid I too agree, seems a bit like bad losers.
The funny thing is, this has actually been a great thing in my book. For once, everybody both young and old is getting interested in politics and how this country is run. Everybody has their opinion, and many people are finding out more, learning more. This is surely a good thing, much better than complacently allowing others to make decisions that affect us. I myself am a Leaver, and I think that a 2nd referendum will 'not' bring closure as it will still be too close for comfort, except I do think it would be around 52% Remain this time. Could even lead to calls for a 3rd referendum!

We were asked to make a choice, and a choice we have made. Now its time to suck it up, accept it, and move on. Work towards the future rather than try and remake the past.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:37 am

It's nothing to do with 'losers'. Would that term have been used had the result been reversed and Nigel had pressed for a second one? I doubt it very much. I think my post highlighted the intellect of some, (and I do stress the 'some') not all, of those who vote, hence the reason for my saying that the decision should be with those who we supposedly put our trust in by electing them to make such decisions. The referendum was not really about raising interest in politics at all, although it may have, it was about a decision on handling of the financial stability, security and the running of our nation going forward and to me those two people had no idea at all what it really meant, so how many more thought along similar lines, I wonder? If it was about 'politics' why did the majority of the two largest opposing political parties in the country unite in favour of remain? I think too few people fully understood the implications of what it all meant to be given the responsibility for this decisions. If they did then they would have listened to the experts in their relevant fields. Yes, some people probably have good reason, personally, for wanting 'out' and I would respect them, even though they are not necessarily in the interests of the nation as a whole, and I doubt they number anywhere near 17 million.

I do hope I am wrong but I think it will be a bad thing for the UK, or what may be left of a 'United' Kingdom if we 'go it alone'.

Maybe a move to Scotland could be on the cards. :huh: (before they close the border :D )

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 am

Just to add for thought

Is the referendum legally binding?

In theory, the Prime Minister could ignore the referendum result, put the question to a parliamentary debate and gamble on the majority of MPs voting to remain.

This is because parliament is sovereign and referendums are generally not binding in the UK.

Had the 2011 referendum on changing the electoral system to alternative vote been successful, the Government would have been obliged to change the law. However, no such provision was contained within the EU referendum legislation.

There MAY NOT be the need to have a referendum if they don't want one or don't want to follow the result!
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:09 am

As I understand it, it does have to go through parliament. Something I heard before the referendum took place.

nikkai
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by nikkai » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:15 am

That's what I am lead to believe so that the result so far is just an IDEA but not invoked until it is passed which if those in power decide not to pass then all will be just an act of going through motions
The challenge is not to manage time, but to manage ourselves.
Steven Covey

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:11 am

Yes, but based on the feelings of people on the street, if the government simply ignored this referendum result, there wold be riots everywhere. This was basically a way of people telling their political leaders they didn't like the status quo. As politicians are 'supposed' to work for the people, to ignore the people would be rather stupid in the long-term. If that did happen, I could see similar riots to what happened years ago with the Poll Tax.

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:47 am

boatbuilder wrote: I think too few people fully understood the implications of what it all meant to be given the responsibility for this decisions. If they did then they would have listened to the experts in their relevant fields.
I think the opposite Boatbuilder I think the people fully understood that they were being browbeaten and threatened into voting remain by the political elite; the same political elite and so called experts who told us it would be a good idea to get rid of the pound and join the Euro.
My Flickr pictures look here

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:00 am

I don't think there were too many trying to tell us to get rid of the pound in favour of the Euro (well not within the UK). It didn't take a referendum for that important decision to be made either it was left to those we elected to make that decision as the latest issue should have been.

We'll just have to see what happens if and when it does happen.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:32 pm

boatbuilder wrote:It might just break out if they don't!

I think a referendum in the first place was the wrong thing. We supposedly put our trust in our elected MP's to make the right decisions for our country's best interests and that is how it should have been decided, not by bowing to the pressures of a man like Nigel Farage. That's what we pay them for.
I was glad to read the above which I fully agree with. :high5:
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso