The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 3rd 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 11th April 2024 at 7:10pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Local buildings and their history

Discussion about all things historical here, with an emphasis on local history. Please feel free to post your memories of Lowestoft past here as a place to record local oral history.
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: MALE

Local buildings and their history

Post by 728 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:06 pm

I was interested to know if anyone had any info on buildings in Lowestoft and their history. The one I am interested in if anyone has any info is the co-op in Pakefield. It is named Jubilee Buildings, anyone have any idea what Jubilee it was constructed in?
In the end its not about how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Local buildings and their history

Post by funkychick » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:03 am

Good one 728 This could be a good thread, an interesting subject 728 I ll see if I can get any info on Co-op theres plenty of great buildings still around and they must have many tales to tell I hope our posters get on board with this subject especially if we can get some them and now photos
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by morty1753 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:57 pm

Ivan Bunn is certainly a man to contact regarding historical Lowestoft buildings. He seems to be a fount of information.

He can be contacted through the Lowestoft Records Office in the Library. Would do it myself but I am not there at the moment.
I before E except after C - That's weird

Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by 728 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:15 pm

It has always interested me, whenever I am stuck in traffic or walking about, I quickly glance at our lovely buildings and architecture in them around town and wonder, if they could speak what tales they could tell. Same with buildings with interesting names. I should get in contact with him I loads of questions on some buildings in the town. :D That's a great idea Funckychick.
In the end its not about how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Ok here we go 728 Co op was opened 1935 which was George V s jubilee year

Now heres my question the large wedding shop in Kirkley opposite the Kirkley Centre has the words Kirkley Hall above it I m presuming a church hall but I wonder which church?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:13 pm

I went to the research library last week and Ivan Bunn was manning the desk, he was able to tell me straight away where Sparhams Buildings used to be. He would be the man to ask.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:20 pm

FC, I've found this out about Kirkley Hall.It was built in 1897 and was occupied between 1898-1914 by Titcomb and Few Auctioneers.In 1914 Brett and Sons house furnishers acquired the premises.From 1948-1952 FW Woolworthand Co had their shop there.After 1952 Robert J Latten builders merchants occupied the premises followed by Jewsons.More recently Paul Foulger a house furnisher then in 2005 till present a hire shop for formal and evening wear.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Slightly off-topic I know, but as this initially referred to the Coop in Pakefield, then if anyone is interested in the Coop stores and Group as a whole then this guy must have spent hours uploading the pictures to this Flickr site where there appears to be pictures of just about every Coop group shop, bank, etc., there is. There are nearly 19.000 images uploaded in just under 5 years in different category albums. The second link should take you to that part of one of the albums with all the local (Lowestoft) Coop shops, probably past and present. The first link is to his Home Page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/co-operativestores/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/co-operat ... 6964032474
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:47 pm

Thanks Browser I wonder why it was given the title of Kirkley Hall if it was only opened as a shop basically

Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by 728 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks Funkychick for that :) I have many more up and coming questions about Lowestoft buildings. happy1

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:57 am

I have had to resize this pic to the old size to get it on here

Another old imposing building Kitcheners Home
Attachments
DSCN4094.jpg
DSCN4094.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 941 times

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:59 am

This is where the Chelsea pensioners could be seen sitting on the seats outside I dont think there are many left now

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 am

There are more Chelsea Pensioners than ever Ex service men and WOMEN can apply for a place .

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 am

Yes I know Kerch but the ones coming here in their red jackets (WW2 vets) seem to have died out they would mostly be in their 90's if still alive

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:37 pm

I remember the small Woolworths opposite the Grand Cinema.