The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

The Cooperative Canning Factory - Lowestoft

Discussion about all things historical here, with an emphasis on local history. Please feel free to post your memories of Lowestoft past here as a place to record local oral history.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

The Cooperative Canning Factory - Lowestoft

Post by boatbuilder » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm

Some of you may recall a few years ago on the other site that I posted a topic about the Coop Canning factory and advised that I had a PDF document I created from a 32 page booklet giving details of some of its early history and sent a copy of this to a number of those who requested it.

I am now able to make this document available to anyone who wishes to download the 7.4 MB PDF directly from this website.

Here is the link which I have set up to enable this:

"The Home of Waveney Products"
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Cooperative Canning Factory - Lowestoft

Post by MEG » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:21 pm

My uncle worked there.Years ago at Tuesday Morning Mall in OK City I found a magnet with Co-op Lowestoft on it ,advertising Willowvale Cheese in the round packs with triangular slices!

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:32 pm

boatbuilder wrote:Some of you may recall a few years ago on the other site that I posted a topic about the Coop Canning factory and advised that I had a PDF document I created from a 32 page booklet giving details of some of its early history
An interesting bit of local history Boatbuilder.

Before the Co-op took over the factory it was owned by the Maconochie Brothers from Lowestoft. James Maconochie is buried in Lowestoft Cemetery. Their canned food didn't always go down well with troops in the First World War, read more Here

James Maconochie's grave...
Attachments
jmml.jpg
My Flickr pictures look here

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I found a couple of videos that may be of interest on this subject.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/853

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/609

The site is the East Anglian Film Archive and there are many other videos to watch.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks for posting those Dave.

Although long before my time there, there were a few things that hadn't changed much in the canning side from the 1961 film to when I was there from 1989 onward.

The cheese triangle portion machines brought back memories from the 1970's when I was working for Kraft in Liverpool and I used to buy the parts for similar machines from the Swiss company 'Kustner' that manufactured them. Those were the days of 10 Swiss Francs to £1, now you only get about 1.25 for £1. :D

Interesting to note also, the absence of protective footwear on the factory operatives in those days.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

Dave
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:59 pm

If you type 'Lowestoft' into the search box, boatbuilder, there are three pages of videos.
If it were not for Thomas Edison, we would all be watching television in the dark.