The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

"Makeover for Lowestoft"

Discussion about all things historical here, with an emphasis on local history. Please feel free to post your memories of Lowestoft past here as a place to record local oral history.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

"Makeover for Lowestoft"

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:57 pm

I was looking through some 'back-up' files on DVD's yesterday, taken from an old computer, and came across this text which I had saved to a 'Word' document and thought it might just generate some interest on here. The file is dated 14th October 2003.
Makeover for Lowestoft on 09:35 PM GMT
RESIDENTS in Lowestoft are being called on to "get excited" about the £14.7 million overhaul of the town centre.
Work on a facelift for the seaside town starts next month and by this time next year Waveney District Council hopes the town centre will be transformed into a tree-lined main street with continental cafes providing outside eating areas.
On Friday, the latest exhibition of Sunrise Project plans was shown to the public at Stella Maris Hall on Gordon Road, Lowestoft.
Cheryl Paget, town manager, said: "I think it's time to get excited. We are going to be starting work on October 6 on the first phase.
"We want people to realise that it's going to make the town look so much different," she added.
The heart of the Sunrise Project work is along London Road North with brick planters in the centre of the street being pulled out to create an unbroken walkway for use by cyclists, delivery drivers and skateboarders.
And while traffic will be kept out of the area from 10am-4pm it is hoped the access will change the feel of the street, along with dozens of mature lime trees planted to add colour.
"Hopefully it's going to be livelier," said Ms Paget. "We're going to encourage people to get eating out licences so we can have cafés with seating. And that should really give a European flavour."
The plan also includes Station Square, with lighting to be put into the ground and money spent on a facelift for the three-storey Tuttles building. The Station Square area will be linked to the precinct by a new raised area across Suffolk Road.
Royal Plain and the East Point Pavilion will also be made more pedestrian friendly.
Paul Moss, project manager for the Sunrise scheme, said: "That's the first thing people see when they get off the train."
Mr Moss said that more than 70 schemes would make up the regeneration of the town centre and grants were being offered to landlords to improve buildings.
"I think it's time for people to see this as a real project and not just a pipe-dream," he added.
He also said that, despite controversy over skateboarders using London Road North, there was no legislation that prevented them.
All the trees and plants that are dug up will be recycled, the trees into bark for gardening and the plants to other garden areas of the town.
Much of the scheme is linked to the progress of the proposed Southern Relief Road which could start next year if a recent public inquiry rules in favour of the road.
That would lead to moves for two-way traffic at Katwijk Way and Waveney Road while south of the river 20 mph zones would be introduced in London Road South and Marine Parade.
There are also plans to fully upgrade and resurface the Clifton Road carpark and introduce CCTV to encourage more motorists to use the site.
"It is something that is going to effect the majority of the town," Mr Moss said. "In four years everything I am talking about will become a reality," Mr Moss said.
Phase One is due to start at the top from Artillery Way to Regent Road.
There was a brief ceremony to celebrate the start of the work on Monday, September 29.
Sources : EDP Community Pages
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget