The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Fen Park School.

Discussion about all things historical here, with an emphasis on local history. Please feel free to post your memories of Lowestoft past here as a place to record local oral history.
arkle92
Male/Female: male

Fen Park School.

Post by arkle92 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:22 am

Hi.Anyone got any photos of the air raid shelters under the playground at Fen Park Primary School ( Lovewell Road )?.
Also any photos of the the same school in the early 1900's would be great. I have found out the school was built around 1898.
If your interested here is a link to a bit of the schools history.

http://www.rgreen.org.uk/EAMteach.html

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Male/Female: female

Re: Fen Park School.

Post by Meryl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:26 pm

thank you for a very interesting link. Nobody sseems to have photos of the air raid shelters probably not allowed for security reasons.

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by frankiesays » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:11 pm

My mum started there in the '30s. I thought I'd just give you that bit of useless info.
It's grim up North...

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Post by Mel » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:57 pm

arkle92 wrote:Hi.Anyone got any photos of the air raid shelters under the playground at Fen Park Primary School ( Lovewell Road )?.
I have heard a few times about these air raid shelters which were supposedly built under the playground but have never seen any documented proof that they ever existed.

Interesting link Arkle92, it seems Windsor Road and the surrounding roads and fields were flooded and under three to four feet of water in December 1897...it has certainly been a well flooded area over the years.
My Flickr pictures look here

catchy
Male/Female: male

Post by catchy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:23 am

Not convinced about the shelters. I started at Lovewell Road just after the war. I have always thought I started when the school re-started after being closed during the war. I was definitely there in Dec 1947 when Oulton Broad froze over. Pakefield Primary definitely had air-raid shelters which were still there in 1950. I can't say there aren't any at Lovewell Road but I need proof which seems not existent. A local myth?