The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 10th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 18th April 2024 at 7:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Places I loved to play in Lowestoft

Discussion about all things historical here, with an emphasis on local history. Please feel free to post your memories of Lowestoft past here as a place to record local oral history.
Gorrig
Male/Female: Male

Places I loved to play in Lowestoft

Post by Gorrig » Wed May 21, 2014 6:03 pm

1. Down by the coastguard station you could get along the far side of the harbour down as far as the opposite side to the South Pier. We used to take old bicycle wheels, all the spokes knocked out just leaving the rim, with a net attached. Onto this we would tie an old cod head or similar that you pick up on the fish market. The whole contraption was lowered down in the water and we used to catch crabs.

2. Where the sea wall finishes down by the North Beach, heading toward Corton, there was a wood with a natural spring that ran out onto the beach and dissipated into the sand. We would build a dam across the stream and see how long we could hold the water back. Seems trivial but on a warm summers day it would keep us occupied for hours.

3. The most stupid thing ever attempted. Going down Rant Score on a soap-box with old pram wheels. Alas the brake lever was simply not up to the task and although we built up quite a head of steam we crashed out and ended up being patched up by the kind ladies in the Birds Eye first aid department.

4. Scrambling around on Corton cliffs looking for fossils. Always a rewarding task following a recent land slip. We never thought for one moment that this might just be a little bit dangerous.

5. Winter months ...building a slide on the ice down the slope leading to the beach in front of St Mary's Convent. Apologies to the poor man walking his dog. We really should have given you a bit of warning.

admin comment: This has been moved this into the "History" board as it seems a more appropriate place. A 'blog' (the topic in which it was originally posted - was "Member's Blogs") is really more of a day to day note of current happenings in one's life.

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Places I loved to play in Lowestoft

Post by MEG » Wed May 21, 2014 7:11 pm

My friends and I loved going to the North Extension as mentioned in your first place.We used to walk along the wooden walkways that were at the harbour mouth!If we had slipped there would have been no saving us-the kids couldn't do that today.Also my dad worked for the Great Grimsby ,Coal,Salt & Tanning co that had a depot down by the Coastguard station and when Scottie was on duty I was allowed in the coastguard station to watch the ships that passed.Also I knew one of the workmen who worked on the extension.They had an old railway carriage that they used for breaks and I and my friend Jill, had many a strong mug of tea with the men on their breaks..Even when I married I went with my husband to the Coastguard station several times,it always fascinated me.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Post by funkychick » Wed May 21, 2014 8:53 pm

the kids still slide down the slope side of cefas when there is snow around
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Meryl » Thu May 22, 2014 6:22 am

Just after the war my friend and I used to play on what was known as "the bombdies" there were 2 bombed houses next to each other in Beaconsfield Road, we claimed them as our own, she "lived "in one and I had the other. We enjoyed pretending to be housewives and would find an old mat which we would throw over the dividing back wall [still precariously standing] and proceed to bang the dust from it, at the same time discussing the weather and our pretend children with the "neighbour". We loved our game and spent many ours doing what wouldn't be allowed today. dancer1

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Thu May 22, 2014 12:48 pm

We also had bombed buildings near where I lived ,when they were eventually pulled down it was the perfect place for our bonfire on November 5th!I can still remember the charcoal baked potatoes we ate when they were pulled from the fire!!!!

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu May 22, 2014 3:04 pm

We used to test-drive our bogeys down Links Road too but it was a labour of love as it was a 4 mile walk from ours. We used to like running along the beach under the Fisheries at high water timing it exactly right to get from one set of steps to the next without getting wet. We got it right sometimes.

We used to hire lug-sailed sailing boats from Knights Creek even though we didn't have a clue how to sail. Everitts Park used to be one of our favourite haunts and also the footpath under the railway and along the shore of Lake Lothing to Normanston.
It's grim up North...

Gorrig

Post by Gorrig » Sun May 25, 2014 9:17 am

Thank you all for your lovely contributions. I'd forgotten all about the sailing boats you could hire from Knights Creek. My friend and I could sail and would often push the old boats beyond their capabilities. After breaking two they eventually banned up from hiring them. Eventually, thanks to the skills of my friends father, we ended up with a GP14 sailing dinghy which we would sail around on Oulton Broad getting in the way of the 'grockles' in their hire cruisers shouting out "Give way to sail".
As for the North Extension and those wooden beams, there was one we used to walk along that got progressively higher up from the ground below. There was also that huge machine with a chain on buckets on. Was for moving sand or gravel? Sadly a boy died when he fell of it. I think it was demolished shortly after that and it was also the beginning of the end for access to the area.
Loved the thought of you two 'mums' each with your own bombed house chatting over the garden wall. I used to play in the old Billiard Hall which was (I think) in Till Road. I remember the bonfire night parties on the old bomb sites. Ours was opposite the old Billiard Hall on a plot of ground between Clapham Road and Raglan Street.
Did anyone hang out on the Iron Bridge and wait for the steam trains to come puffing their way out of the station. We would try and drop a little stone down the chimney while disappearing in cloud of smoke.
Thanks again for sharing your memories.

Gorrig

Post by Gorrig » Sun May 25, 2014 1:59 pm

I do believe I've found a fairly recent picture of the old iron bridge that crossed the railway line between Commercial Road and Denmark Road.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Sun May 25, 2014 2:06 pm

We often went home with faces blackened by the soot rom the trains!!!

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Sun May 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Roller skating on the seafront was fun but not in the summer too many people .I was scared to go down slopes on roller skates,some of the braver boys did though .The best bit was between the two piers nice and smooth .

Playing on the Ham behind Salisbury road ,we were n't allowed on there as to get there we had to cross a railway line ,at that time the trains were steam and did n't go very fast .Mostly they were coal trains .It was also a marsh and I ruined a new pair of plimsoles stepping into a rusty coloured boggy bit .

Fishing for tadpoles and stickle backs in the fen , I was a bit of a tomboy .

MEG
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by MEG » Sun May 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Used to get in trouble for the salt water marks on our shoes! Tried to stay away when the waves rolled in but sometimes we were too late!!!!!

Gorrig

Post by Gorrig » Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Lovely Kerch. So you never tried a straight line roller skate down Rant Score? Baby you never lived!

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon May 26, 2014 6:20 am

I remember my son aged about 4 going down Links on his little bike we couldnt do anything but watch as he got faster and more out of control until he flew off at the bottom luckily only cuts and grszes
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

kerch
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerch » Mon May 26, 2014 9:53 am

Now going down Rant Score on foot was hard enough ,on Roller skates a nightmare.
I was n't that fearless ,did ride a bike down there once or twice ,did n't go up took the easy route .

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Mon May 26, 2014 9:46 pm

My playground was below the cliffs in front of the Pakefield church,as a youngster loved to go crabbing from the platform of seaweed below the beginning of the sea front at Pakefield,also did crabbing from the groynes. I was warned over and over again by my Father not to go onto the seaweed platform or groynes and as a lad under ten who was a good swimmer you fear nothing only if your Father caught you which he did on a number of occasions,,subsequently I had many a clip around the ear. (The seaweed platform has long been buried by the build up of the shingle and sand)

The rifle range was another favorite of mine,it was here that I remember my Father taking me for my first fishing trip as a very young lad,we had a 6ft cane complete with tang cotton line a cork float and a pin hook which was baited with tiny pieces of dough. That first fishing trip we caught many small Rudd,crucian carp and little tench which were all deposited into a galvanized bucket which we took home transferring the fish to our water butt. That fishing trip was to be very significant as I have always since that day wanted to try and catch whatever lies beneath the surface of water whether it be fresh water or the sea. I went on to go back to the rifle range pond which was located just off the A12 on a number of occasions not only to catch the fish also the large crested newts which at that time were many,always amazed me how they liked a worm and would not let go even when you lifted them out of the water.I soon learnt about other venues around that area and another favorite was the Tank trap which was nearly opposite the Pakefield holiday camp,Farmer Cook also had two ponds which had a lot of my attention. Always knocked on the door at the farm house,"Please Mr Cook can I fish in the pond",he always said yes telling us to be careful not to fall in. I don't think he would dare let us youngsters fish in these present times due to the Health and Safety etc. Those days were happy days when boys were allowed to be boys.
Another pond where we did a bit of Newting was on the Pakefield golf course,mind you we had to hide up in the gorse when the golfers came along so we always had a lookout.Happy days.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso