The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Places I loved to play in Lowestoft

Discussion about all things historical here, with an emphasis on local history. Please feel free to post your memories of Lowestoft past here as a place to record local oral history.
Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Re: Places I loved to play in Lowestoft

Post by Suffolkboy » Mon May 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Latest post of the previous page:

My playground was below the cliffs in front of the Pakefield church,as a youngster loved to go crabbing from the platform of seaweed below the beginning of the sea front at Pakefield,also did crabbing from the groynes. I was warned over and over again by my Father not to go onto the seaweed platform or groynes and as a lad under ten who was a good swimmer you fear nothing only if your Father caught you which he did on a number of occasions,,subsequently I had many a clip around the ear. (The seaweed platform has long been buried by the build up of the shingle and sand)

The rifle range was another favorite of mine,it was here that I remember my Father taking me for my first fishing trip as a very young lad,we had a 6ft cane complete with tang cotton line a cork float and a pin hook which was baited with tiny pieces of dough. That first fishing trip we caught many small Rudd,crucian carp and little tench which were all deposited into a galvanized bucket which we took home transferring the fish to our water butt. That fishing trip was to be very significant as I have always since that day wanted to try and catch whatever lies beneath the surface of water whether it be fresh water or the sea. I went on to go back to the rifle range pond which was located just off the A12 on a number of occasions not only to catch the fish also the large crested newts which at that time were many,always amazed me how they liked a worm and would not let go even when you lifted them out of the water.I soon learnt about other venues around that area and another favorite was the Tank trap which was nearly opposite the Pakefield holiday camp,Farmer Cook also had two ponds which had a lot of my attention. Always knocked on the door at the farm house,"Please Mr Cook can I fish in the pond",he always said yes telling us to be careful not to fall in. I don't think he would dare let us youngsters fish in these present times due to the Health and Safety etc. Those days were happy days when boys were allowed to be boys.
Another pond where we did a bit of Newting was on the Pakefield golf course,mind you we had to hide up in the gorse when the golfers came along so we always had a lookout.Happy days.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Re: Places I loved to play in Lowestoft

Post by frankiesays » Tue May 27, 2014 2:20 pm

We used to get our newts from the pond which was at the foot of the field opposite the Oakwood Rd area of Westwood Avenue which would now be near the end of Denton Drive if it hadn't been filled in. I lived opposite the gold course but never found a pond, only the Kirkley Run which we were always warned against going near because of the steep banks. I fished in the pond opposite Pontins a couple of times too. Our favourite was in the middle of a cornfield in Mutford just off the Beccles Rd where the new golf course is, not many big fish but hundreds of baby tench.
It's grim up North...