The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Local Maps of Historical Interest

Discussion about all things historical here, with an emphasis on local history. Please feel free to post your memories of Lowestoft past here as a place to record local oral history.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Local Maps of Historical Interest

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:44 pm

I have been looking at a couple of websites which give online access to old maps and thought I would post a number of links to ones that might be interesting to some of you. They really show how the changes have materialised over the years.

The oldest one linked to below is about 200 years old.

With the on-screen navigation tools you can zoom in very close and move about the maps. It is also possible to navigate some maps using the +/- keys to zoom in and out and the arrow keys to move about the zoomed-in image.

From the first link, you can drag the map so that the highlighting box is over the area of the country, or even the world, in which you want to look at maps. A list will then appear down the right hand side and by hovering your cursor over them, the area covered by the map will be shown on the main map. Clicking the link opens a pop-up window which gives you the option of viewing the map which will open in another tab.

The subsequent links below are the specific ones I picked out.

The slider bar beneath the search box enables you to set the range of dates you want to find maps in. There are two sliders, one at each end of the bar. You then just click on the maps on the right hand side to get access to them.
I hope some of you find these of interest.
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Local Maps of Historical Interest

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:09 pm

I think the map dated 1732 at the following link is very interesting. You can only view it properly by downloading a copy (ideally the extra-large image of it) by clicking on the 'Export' icon at the top right. This is a zip file from which the image can be opened in your photo viewer. If then viewed at full resolution it is extremely clear. The compressed file size is about 4-Meg (9-Meg unzipped).

It would seem from that map, on which Lowestoft is named 'Lastoffe', that Easton Ness (Nefs) which no longer exists was at that time the most easterly point - if the map is anywhere near being accurate. :?:

Link to Map dated 1732

More information in this link from the Southwold Museum website:

Coastal Erosion

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks for those maps BB. Very interesting.
I before E except after C - That's weird

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:21 pm

Pleased to be of service, Morty. I have always enjoyed looking at maps from when I was at school. In fact at that time I wanted to be a cartographer with the O.S....... but that's another story. 8-)

Mel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks from me too Boatbuilder for the map links, very interesting.
My Flickr pictures look here

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Also thanks from me BB.Do you have any links to old maps of Pakefield ?
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:09 pm

Glad you both fond them of interest, Mel and SB.

SB the 6th through to the 10th items in the right hand column on the first link in my original post all include Pakefield. They go back to 1882/3. There may be others further down the column if you scroll down and check.

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks again BB,I should have checked all links before asking the question. :oops:
Just been looking at the Benacre Broad on the old map,it was somewhere I played as a youngster and during my late teens the broad was next to the sea and we would dig lugworms from the edge of the broad.It is quite a hike to the broad so always used the BSA motor bike in those days when going to dig the lugworms.I think the Broad is no longer there as the sea has claimed it,perhaps Mel would know more about that as I think he has photograph that area in the past.
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:37 am

BB - Thank you so much for providing links to the old maps - much appreciated. Sorry, only just found them - but I gets there in the end!! Will be perusing them a little later - as I’m “confined to barracks” this morning - awaiting parcel delivery before 12 noon - so it'll keep me occupied and, hopefully, out of mischief!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:49 am

Very interesting BB, I too have always had a love of looking at any maps of anywhere in the world. You may remember (or not) me asking a couple of years ago if anybody knew of a small gauge railway which my father told me about which started at the back of Dell road and went underground for a way and came out in the sandpit near the bottom of Colville Rd. The 1903 map shows a "tramway" at that exact point which appears to go under the road and lead to the brickworks. He said they used to dig out clay for the brickworks from behind the houses in Dell Road.
It's grim up North...