The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Soanes family of Corton

Family and friend searches and local genealogy questions are posted here.
polypody
Male/Female: Male

Soanes family of Corton

Post by polypody » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

My wife & I are attempting to build a family tree of my late mother-in-laws family who came from Corton. Mt m-i-w's maiden name was Doreen Lilian Soanes & she was born in Corton on 22nd March 1913. Her mother's maiden name was Beeson & I believe her father was a Cooper by trade. Later my m-i-w & her parents moved to Yateley in Hampshire. Doreen also had a brother, Leslie, who at 96 is still alive.

I found a website entitled Soanes Information Centre & although the site appears to be 'live' it has not been updated since 2002 & my e-mails to their contact address have gone unanswered so no joy there. I realise that there are quite a few Soanes in the Corton area but am wondering if there are any folk who can remember the family or are even related. I realise they'd be pretty old by now but perhaps their descendants may know. I know it's not much to go on but 'nothing ventured, nothing gained!'.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: Soanes family of Corton

Post by funkychick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:32 pm

Have you been into the library record office they are so helpful and have loads of information from past times
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

polypody

Post by polypody » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Unfortunately not as we live a long way from Norfolk but thanks anyway as we might get out that way in the future.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi polypody They can be very helpful with phone contact if you have a specific thing to ask, or if you have anyone here who can pop in for you Have you looked through the cemeteries online or church records, there are free sites I did a whole lot of family history without leaving the house
By the way Corton is in Suffolk not Norfolk when you do start looking lol
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:12 pm

You could try on-line searches of records at https://familysearch.org/

It is a free genealogical site run by Latter Day Saints.
I before E except after C - That's weird

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:21 pm

And a good one too as long as you double check as there are some mistakes I think another free one is FreeBDM or is it BMD I haven't used it for years
You can check censuses online too

morty1753
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by morty1753 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:33 pm

You are right about double, or even triple, checking. FC
I before E except after C - That's weird

polypody

Post by polypody » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Firstly, thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Secondly, my profuse apologies to all Corton residents for placing it in Norfolk!

SL-Dave

Post by SL-Dave » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Am I right in thinking that although Corton is now in Suffolk, at one point it was actually in Norfolk? Combined at the time I believe with Newton, most of which is now in the sea.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:50 pm

I don't think so my thoughts are that the Suffolk / Norfolk border was higher as I believe gorleston was once in Suffolk so that would make it impossible for Corton to be in Norfolk SL
No need to apologise polypody I just thought if you were looking things up it might cause a problem