The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to April 17th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 25th April 2024 at 8:20pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click HERE to go to the latest uploads in the forum's gallery of bridge construction images

House damp walls investigation

Comments and questions about local services and tradesmen here. Please don't post advertisements here. The site takes no responsibility for the quality, speed, or accuracy of the posts or service.
jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member
Male/Female: male

House damp walls investigation

Post by jonboy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:16 am

Good morning ,
Has anyone in the area had a damp survey and remedial work carried out and if so, do you recommend the tradesman .
Thanks for any info .

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: House damp walls investigation

Post by jonboy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:02 am

Well...i had a survey done by a company from this area ( i will not name them here ) .
I received their quote to install a chemical damp proof course and a couple of sq mts of pointing .......£5100 ....yeh right . I am not sure that the old adage that " you get what you pay for " is always true .
About 25 years ago i installed a chemical damp proof course in a terraced house i sold . I hired the injection machine , bought 50 ltrs of chemical , a hammer drill , 3 masonry drill bits and 200 plastic plugs to fill the drill holes and all for about £200 , ok that was 25 years ago but still :think:

I thought this time i would save my old knees, but at that price i think it will be knee pads and some paracetamol .

I have already bought the chemical injection cream that does not require a machine to inject it , just a mastic gun ... £ 85 including gun .
Another point with this injection cream is that the holes are drilled in the mortar joints and not into the brick as with the injection liquid , so should be much easier.

Stand by for an update in a couple of weeks time as to whether i have wasted £85 and a couple of days of my life or not .

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:27 am

The best of luck with that, jonboy. I know I certainly wouldn't want to be doing that on my knees, they're bad enough these days - probably as a result of the last 10 years or so of my working life on boats.

£5,100? I wonder what hourly rate they were charging for the labour aspect of the job. £300? It does make you wonder. :roll:
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

jonboy
Bronze member
Bronze member

Post by jonboy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:35 pm

I have injected the damp proof course in the affected walls , quite easy really , as it is injected into the mortar joint and not into the brickwork itself , now i have to wait a few weeks for the chemical to "creep" along the mortar to make a continuous waterproof joint . After this wait i will then have to wait a few more weeks to see if it really has worked .
The recommended distance between drill holes is 120mm but i erred on the side of caution and drilled at 100mm so used a bit more chemical , but not half as hard or expensive as i first thought .

Will see in a few weeks if it was worth it :nodding: . In any case i used the same injection cream as the damp proof company would have used .

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

Post by boatbuilder » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:58 pm

I'm glad to see you've got it done, jonboy. Fingers crossed it does the job but I'm sure it will. I hope to see a BIG smiley face on here in a few weeks. :D
See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget