The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 13th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 21st March 2024 at 5:07pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

Coffee - next door to Holgates

Discuss and rate your favorite eating and drinking establishments here.
Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: Male

Coffee - next door to Holgates

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Visited “Coffee” - next door to Holgates (Men’s clothing). Nice ambience to the place; friendly staff. Ordered a Mocha (I am so adventurous!), and there were three tempting cakes on display. One looked as though it could be a Fruit Cake (about two inches deep and topped with brown sugar). Turned out to be a Blueberry and Lemon Drizzle Cake - which sounded interesting - and I weakened, of course! You get yourself seated and your order is brought to your table. The cake was quite delish! Would think it’s homemade - rather than commercially made. The “lemon drizzle” is very lemony - but not too sharp.

Well worth a visit and do try that cake - highly recommended. And, yes, I shall be returning - soon!
Attachments
Coffee_07.jpg
Coffee_07.jpg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Meryl
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Male/Female: female

Re: Coffee - next door to Holgates

Post by Meryl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:56 pm

where is Holgates?

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Good question, Meryl! Holgates (with "Coffee" next door) is in the north end of London Road north - between Milton Road East and Artillery Way. If you work down from Artillery Way - on the West side - is Cooks Furnishing, and walk south a few shops - and you'll come to Holgates - Men's Clothing - next door to that is "Coffee" at Number 179 - I only know 'cos you can see that in the photo!

My apologies for not mentioning where it is - I always think because I know where somewhere is - everyone else knows!!
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

Suffolkboy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: male

Post by Suffolkboy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Surely the Mr Holgate who I purchased my first Beatle polo neck shirt during the Rock and Roll days must be dead. Always smartly dressed with bow tie,a real character. A coffee shop next to Holgates - oh dear what is Lowestoft coming to. ;)
Always be a first -rate version of yourself,
instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Pablo Picasso

frankiesays
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by frankiesays » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Blimey, is Harry Holgates still there? Is the army surplus still there too?
It's grim up North...

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:01 am

Very unlikely! I would think that it’s the name that has been retained - and the shop still sells menswear. The Army Surplus shop has closed.