The most recent Covid-19 statistics available for East Suffolk to March 20th 2024 are here - eastsuffolkcovid19.uk
(Last updated on: 28th March 2024 at 4:52pm)
-----◄►-----
- - - LINK TO GULL WING BRIDGE LIVE STREAM - - -
-----◄►-----
Click on the header image above to go to the latest uploads in the forum gallery of bridge construction images

MyLowestoft.com - Important Announcement!

Site rules, FAQ's, and new member information are all here in this section.
boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Male/Female: Male

MyLowestoft.com - Important Announcement!

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:30 pm

I am pleased to advise you all that with effect from today - January 2nd - I have taken over responsibility for the MyLowestoft.com website from Alice who had informed me last September that she would no longer continue with running the site from September 2015 when the current year’s hosting expires.

I met with Alice today to finalise the arrangements and during that meeting the transfer was officially made and my details registered with the web hosting company in the U.S.A. who have hosted the site from its inauguration. I have also taken over the domain name.

I will be funding this myself, and the website will therefore remain free of advertisements (apart from members’ own ‘For Sale’ ones). I don’t envisage any significant changes to the way the site operates and the existing team of moderators and administrators will continue as it is now. However, I will as time goes on, look at possible ways of making improvements to the site once I get to grips with everything that is new to me, although I’m not sure how long that will be.

I would just like to thank everyone who posts on here regularly and trust that they will continue to support the forum to make it a continued success and hopefully attract new members along the way.

John

See my Suffolk Pictures at https://suffolk-world.com

S t r e t c h e d - O y s t e r

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member
Male/Female: female

Re: MyLowestoft.com - Important Announcement!

Post by funkychick » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:05 am

Excellent news BB it will be in safe hands with you Well done
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks FC. I hope so. :lol:

You forget what you want to remember and remember what you would prefer to forget

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Just to keep you up-to-date, I have now been able to spend some time getting familiar with some of the site's workings I couldn't access until now and noticed that there were many old emails in the site's admin inbox, with some being from members that didn't appear to have been seen and responded to. As these were so old I have just cleared them all out and apologise to those who sent them for there not being any response.

However, I have now set things up so that any emails sent to the admin email address (admin@mylowestoft.com) will be sent into my Windows Live Mail inbox so that these will be seen and can be dealt with accordingly and fairly quickly.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:51 am

For your information, I can confirm that the site's hosting plan has auto-renewed this morning and is now covered for the next year until September 1st 2016. The domain name will auto-renew for a further two years in 2 days time and will be paid up until September 2017.

edit 17th August 8-50pm : As the domain is set to auto-renew, it only renewed for 1 year and will do so annually.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 pm

The future of MyLowestoft beyond 2016

All forum members will shortly receive an email containing two links. One will be to a download for a Word document and the other to a text document which can be read online direct from the link. The latter is for anyone who may not be able to download and read the other .docx file and contains the same text but is unformatted.

Please note that your email address must be up to date otherwise you will not received this.

Should anyone not receive it they should first check that their email address is current and then notify me in a PM and I will attach the links in a PM by return.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat May 21, 2016 10:38 pm

I have now decided to keep the hosting of the forum with the existing hosting company in the US for the next year. I approached a local (Lowestoft) hosting company but I was not satisfied with the rates I could obtain from them, despite them offering a 'preferential' rate, so I hope you will all continue to support the forum.

I have also registered the domain 'mylowestoft' with the fairly new '.uk' suffix so the site can now also be accessed using the address http://mylowestoft.uk .

If you should access the forum using that address then all the pages will still display the 'mylowestoft.com' name on them in the page header for the time being, although the address bar in your browser will display the '.uk' address for all pages linked during that visit.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun May 22, 2016 7:30 pm

An important footnote to the above post.

It may well be wise for you to stay with using the .com suffix at the moment as the site's cookies are currently set to be recognised by that domain and you may find you have problems being logged in automatically the next time you return to the site, if you had previously ticked the appropriate box to log you in automatically next time you visit. The .uk won't recognise the .com cookies. If and when I decide to make the change to have the .uk suffix as the main one, then there will have to be a number of changes made to the site's settings for the display name to display accordingly and for the cookies to work properly with that domain suffix.

edit 28th June 2016: With the recent update to the forum software, I have temporarily deactivated access to the MyLowestoft domain using the .uk suffix.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:00 pm

I can now advise that the 'mylowestoft.uk' domain is now active again and if it is used, your browser will automatically re-direct to the '.com' domain thus ensuring that the cookies referred to in the previous post will not affect your accessibility and smooth running of the site on your device(s).

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 pm

...and I still have to put my details in every time I open on the iPad boooo
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:28 pm

It must be something to do with your iPad FC. Perhaps anybody else who uses one can say if theirs is the same or otherwise. I have noproblems with the iPhone (same operating system) or my fire tablets. See setting below.
Safari setting on iPhone
Safari setting on iPhone

Trigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Trigger » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:59 pm

My iPad doesn’t “hold onto” my login details. But, it isn’t a problem for me - I can still access our site (but not the photos). I still use my PC for the bulk of my usage. Think I’ve only posted a message from the iPad a couple of times.
‘Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet’ - Professor Stephen Hawking

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:45 pm

The only way you shouldn't be able to access the photos is if you are not logged in. Definitely sounds like an iPad problem.

boatbuilder
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by boatbuilder » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Regarding this being 'logged out' on iPads, I did some further checks today as follows:

My daughter came around today and I checked out the settings on her iPad and tried various log-ins to the forum and this was my findings:

Firstly, the cookie settings on the iPad were exactly the same on there as they appear in the image I posted in my post above (6-28pm Sat 8th Oct) from my iPhone.

On the iPad I initially logged on to the forum using a 3G/4G connection then closed the Safari browser down without closing the tab and switched off the iPad. I then re-booted it and opened the browser again and whilst I appeared to be still logged in, once I refreshed the page I wasn't logged in.

I then connected to my Wi-fi and logged in again and repeated the actions as before (switched off and then re-booted). When I opened the browser again I was still showing as logged in but this time I remained logged in even when I refreshed the page.

My conclusion is that with the connection through 3G/4G, after re-booting the iPad my connection with the network was given a new IP address which caused me to be logged out. When I re-booted after having been connected to my Wi-fi, my IP address was still the same so I remained logged in.

Similarly, if you are logged in with either Wi-fi or 3G/4G and then move to the other network you will be logged out.

I hope that goes some way to explaining the issue.

funkychick
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by funkychick » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:42 am

But it's only this one forum BB all my other sites and forums stay exactly as I left them that's what puzzles me ?